IGNORED

Just beat AD&D Cloudy Mountain (INTV) on Hero difficulty

thegoldenband

As the subject says, I just defeated the first Advanced Dungeons & Dragons game for Intellivision, aka Cloudy Mountain, on the hardest difficulty setting ("Hero") for the first time. Quite a rush!

For those who aren't familiar with it, it's a 2D cave/dungeon exploration game (with overworld navigation) that visually resembles the Apshai games et al., in that each room is only revealed once you first enter it. But the RPG elements are minimal -- there's no leveling up, point system, or treasure per se, and your character only employs a single weapon. It's not quite an arcade title either, though combat requires fast reflexes.

Instead, the focus is on managing your supply of arrows, planning the best way to Cloudy Mountain, and especially, on paying attention to the visual and audio cues that tell you what monsters are nearby. If anything, you're more of a hunter-tracker than a warrior. The result is almost like a cross between Gateway to Apshai, Hunt the Wumpus, and Dungeons of Daggorath for the Tandy CoCo (in that the audio cues are crucial).

Here are some tactics I found useful. These are all relative to the "Hero" level, and might differ on easier difficulties.

• Learn to recognize which droppings/tracks are associated with which creatures. Skulls usually mean a reptile (snake or dragon) is in an adjacent room, while Y-shaped tracks connote a demon, and little dots (scat pellets?) mean a rat. With a little deduction, you can sometimes figure out where the enemy is, and shoot them without ever seeing them.

• Similarly, learn the characteristic sounds of the different monsters (some are silent). Before you enter an untried room, stop and listen for a few moments, since snake and dragon sounds are intermittent.

• Not sure where a sound is coming from? Try scrolling that area off the map, and see if the noise disappears. If so, that's your source.

• If you're heading into an unknown area, be sure to ditch or kill any nearby bats, since not only do they get in the way, but the flapping of their wings will cover up enemy noises.

• The pattern seems to be that each cave system will have three strong enemies, plus a smattering of spiders, bats, and blobs. Gray caves, for instance, seem to have two rats and a snake; blue caves have two demons and a dragon; and red caves have two snakes and a demon. If a tool item is present, one monster will guard it, while another guards the exit.

• Always go to a gray cave first, and visit any others you uncover, so that you can build up your supply of arrows with a minimum of risk. Don't bother with the purple caves -- they're too dangerous, and you can usually find some way around the gates.

• The manual claims that red (axe) cave complexes are harder than blue (boat) ones, but given that the dragon is by far the most dangerous enemy in the game, I'd rather face the snakes.

• Because of the way the Intellivision controller works, you can't shoot and move at the same time unless you hold a controller in each hand, using one to shoot and the other to move. However, that two-fisted approach leaves you unable to run, since you can't really work the disc and hold the side buttons at the same time. One fun approach is to play with a friend who handles the shooting for you, but otherwise, it's best to play with one controller.

• From time to time, you may need to lure an enemy away from whatever they're guarding -- typically a stash of arrows (when you're out of them), or the exit (if you're hurt and need to bail). If you hold down the "run" button, you can outrun rats, and your running speed is the same as a snake or demon's, so you can sometimes trick them into following you and then getting caught up on a corner. Don't bother running from the dragons, they'll catch you easily if you try.

• When approaching a room, do so via the straightest possible passage, especially if you think there's a strong foe in there. If the hallway is curving, back up and find a different angle of attack. The dungeon wraps around in all directions, so there's always a way!

• On a related note, if you suspect there's an enemy in the next room, it's almost always worth it to fire a trial shot in that direction as long as the hallway is straight. That way, if it connects, you have time for a second shot before the monster crowds you. These "blind shots" are pretty much the only way to defeat the winged dragons at the end, which take three hits. You can try to use the ricochet to your advantage as well, but I found it too unpredictable and dangerous.

• When you first enter a dungeon, in the split-second as the dungeon walls are being drawn in, sometimes you can catch a glimpse of a monster in a nearby room. Use that information to take it out pre-emptively!

• If a blob takes up residence in the room where you first enter the dungeon, be sure to lure it to a different room. Otherwise, if you lose a life, you're apt to rematerialize right on top of it, and be killed instantly.

• If you're in dire straits and have no arrows left, you can always try making a beeline for the exit. It doesn't matter what damage you take en route, as long as you make it out alive, since you're healed completely as soon as you return to the overworld.

• Make sure to have at least 10-12 arrows before entering Cloudy Mountain. You'll need at least six of those for the winged dragons, plus some more to take out any annoying bats or spiders. If you use your ears, it's easy to figure out where the dragons are, but you'll have to shoot quickly to kill them before they reach you; once they do, you're done for!

Anyway, I had a great time beating AD&D, and I hope this thread inspires someone else to give it a spin. Despite its limitations and flaws (especially the blob-death thing), I think it's a terrific game that plays to the Intellivision's strengths. Sure, the demon looks more like an evil bunny (or an insect-man with clown feet), but generally the graphics and sound are quite effective, and the game feels fair. Plus I appreciate the fact that the game has an ending/can be "beaten" and doesn't go on forever, yet it's got plenty of replayability thanks to the (literally) random terrain. It's tough on the hardest level, but with careful play and a bit of luck, it can be done.

So that makes the second Intellivision game, after Space Battle, that I've beaten on the hardest difficulty level. Now playing Tower of Doom on Waif level, that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish...that game's hardest setting is beyond brutal!

Edited by thegoldenband
  • Like 12

Thanks for the detailed review/playbook! I've played the game off and on over the last thirty years, and I still love it. It's the main reason I have an Intellivision. Give me that, Adventure (2600), and Adventure II (5200) and I'll be happy on my desert island (as long as I have electricity, anyway!).

I never could get into the rest of the AD&D-style games on the Intellivision, though. Some have impressive graphics, but they're just not as fun for me for some reason.

• Like 1

*holds up a can of soda* I'll drink to that one guys! It was one of those games my brohter and I played regularly back in the 80s. He always seemed to do better than me, as the best I could muster at the time was the second difficulty.

Have to agree on the grey caves being an absolute MUST. Another tip for fast-counters is to always press the 0 key every now and then to tally up your ammo count. That also saved my ass a few times.

• Like 1

Another tip for fast-counters is to always press the 0 key every now and then to tally up your ammo count. That also saved my ass a few times.

Definitely -- knowing how many you're carrying is a must. It's easier to process the rapid clicking if you imagine that it's a fast drum beat divided into groups of four: every complete "measure" is four arrows, and then just add the remainder. But that's probably the musician in me talking. :cool:

Thanks to all for the kudos!

Love the game, cool graphics for it's day, and really complex. But I suck at it. I've beat it befor on the pansy settings, but never harder. I run out of arrows and get slimed, hate those slime bastids :P

Yes, they do suck. I also hate that "dragon" that run at you with lightning speed. Thing makes my heart jump out of my chest.

• Like 1

So that makes the second Intellivision game, after Space Battle, that I've beaten on the hardest difficulty level. Now playing Tower of Doom on Waif level, that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish...that game's hardest setting is beyond brutal!

Tower of Doom is second best to AD&D, I regard it to the grandfather of games like Diablo, and what a console game for its time! If you really want (an unfair) challenge after your done with Tower of Doom, try The Dreadnught Factor on the hardest difficulty. Have fun and keep us updated.

You should post a video of you beating AD&D: CM if you get a chance!

Well said. I've played that game most of my life and it is still rewarding completing the game, especially the harder levels. Spot on about arrow management.

I find to win the harder levels you have to go to many many Grey mountains and stock up on arrows. This way you can "test fire" arrows into dark areas where there is likely a hard enemy like a dragon.

That technique you mentioned about using two controllers to fire and shoot simutaneously is useful for Tron DD and night stalker too.

What i did as a kid was to tape one controller below the other with the disc of the lower one hanging below. This way you could easily use the disc and buttons of the two controllers while still making it feel like a regular controller.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That's quite a write up! I beat AD&D on hero level years ago. It took a while for me to build up to that skill level. If I tried it right now I'd be trashed in a hurry. It's a great game. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I used to play AD&D a lot on what I assume is the hero level. (Just hit the disc correct?) I pulled it out a few days ago after not playing it for almost 20 years, hit the disc to select difficulty and was smoked in the first mountain.

One of my most favorite games when I was younger though. My friends in the neighborhood would have speed contests to see who could finish the game the fastest. We didn't take into account losing any lives.

If I remember correctly: Gray mountains = arrows Blue mountains = boat and Red mountains = axe...were there any others?

I always wanted this game as a kid, and when I finally got it from the RS catalog in the 90s, I was not disappointed! This game is the #1 reason to own an intellivision, in my book. Wonderful stuff. I love the premise, the limited and, and the audio/video clues to the monsters, which makes for a very tense, and fun, game

Why the HELL has this game never been done in a remake or update? This thing would OWN on xbox live!

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I was a glutton for punishment in junior high school... I would hear something in the darkness and fire an arrow down the corridor to see what happens. If you hit something, then it was really ticked off and charging down the hall at you and you couldn't see it until it was on you. If you didn't hit anything, then something really ticked off heard the shot and is currently barreling down a different corridor at you!

Good times, man. Good times...

• Like 1

Also my all time favourite game.

I think that this game is a masterpiece.

BTW Retro gamer ran recently an article about the scariest games and they did not mention ADD Cloudy Mountain. Big omission as this is a very scary.... the tension buildup is unbelievable with the sounds and the maze.

Thanks for the tips. Cheers!

• Like 2

Of course, if you really want to beat it fast, you can always cheat. ;)

Try walking northwest off the upper left corner in the overworld. You'll need to do that a few times before the game settles out and lets you continue navigating the overworld. Probably worth visiting some grey (arrow) mountains first if you can.

post-14113-0-83617000-1416460846_thumb.gif

(clicky to animate)

Edited by intvnut

More tips...

* Managing ammunition and tracking monsters are key to beating the hardest level. Harder levels give you fewer arrows per quiver.

* There are two unguarded quivers and a guarded prize in each cave system, plus a guarded exit

* There is always one nasty monster that does not guard anything in addition to the two guardians that guard the prize and the exit

* Grey: Rats guard the exit and prize (quiver of arrows), plus a snake

* Blue: Demons guard the exit and prize (boat), plus a dragon

* Red: Snakes guard the exit and prize (axe), plus a dragon

* Purple: Dragons guard the exit and prize (key), plus a demon

* Cloudy Mountain: Winged dragons guard 2 crown halves, plus a demon (note there is no exit)

* It is not necessary to kill the lone monster that is not guarding anything unless you accidentally reveal it. If you use the clues and know where it is, you can save arrows by avoiding it and not miss anything

* Make sure you pick up all the arrows in each cave (3 in grey, 2 in others)

* All monsters start in the center of a random room

* Bats, blobs and spiders do not sleep. They start moving as soon as they are on screen, whether their starting room is revealed or not.

* Rats, snakes, demons and dragons are sleeping monsters. They are woken by revealing them, or there is about a 50% chance they will wake if you fire an arrow while they are on the screen and not revealed. They always wake when hit by an arrow.

* Woken monsters will go back to sleep and not move if the area they are in is not revealed and they are moved off screen.

* Be careful shooting while there are unrevealed caverns on screen, eg while shooting bats and spiders. This can wake sleeping monsters, and they will move from their starting position which can make them trickier to hit without revealing them.

* The skulls are just there to freak you out and make you waste arrows.

- James

Edited by HunterZero
  • Like 2

Hey, what a nice surprise to see a new wave of appreciation for this thread! Thanks, y'all.

For the past year or so Tower of Doom has gotten most of my Intellivision attention -- I've been beating the dungeons on Waif, little by little -- but I'd say Cloudy Mountain is probably due for another playthrough.

• Like 1