IGNORED

Castlevania 3 Contest

SoulBlazer

I've asked this question in a couple other places like DP and even e-mailed Konami, but no one has any information and I've always been curious about this.

I'm a huge Castlevania fan, and have been since the first game came out. I recall getting Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse for my NES on Halloween (how fitting!) when I was 14. This was in 1990.

There was a contest Konami was doing with the release of the game -- there was a sticker on the box talking about it. Most of the box pictures I've seen, to this day, show the sticker on it. There was a form to fill out in the back of the instruction manual, IIRC, along with more info.

You can see the box cover with the contest sticker here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/nes/image/587180.html?box=49863

The contest was for a grand prize for you and a friend to go to Translvania for several days, including touring 'Dracula's Castle'. (The castle that Romania still uses for that purpose to this day)

You can get more info on it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bran_Castle

I think there were other prizes also, but can't recall what they were.

Anyway, I entered it and also requested from Konami a list of the winners when they were announced. I do that with all the contests I entered. I never got anything from Konami. Never heard anything in the media about it, never saw anything in Nintendo Power, and never talked to anyone who knew anything about it. It's too bad, cause I would have loved to have gone. I'm sure a lot of people entered though -- that was a popular game.

I suspect Konami canceled the contest cause of the internal problems that Romania was starting to go through in 1991, when the trip was planned.

So: Does anyone know anything more about this contest? Was it actually awarded or was it canceled? Is there a winner, and has he/she ever been interviewed?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...