IGNORED

retroclouds game programming competition (RGPC)

retroclouds

As mentioned in my previous thread I started a game programming competition for the Texas Instruments TI-99/4A.

The idea for the competion came spontaneously just after we got our spot at atariage.

To promote the competition and for avoiding any confusion with the future crap games competion, I'll just

call mine RGPC (retroclouds game programming competition) :P

This is the main thread for the competition.

Please don't hijack this thread, only use it for anything directly related to the RGPC competition

Rules are simple:

1. Create a new original homebrew game for the TI-99/4A, preferably an arcade style game

2. Programming language doesn't matter (Basic, Extended Basic, Assembler, ...)

3. The game must run on a real TI-99/4A with 32K memory expansion

4. Report your progress and programming questions right here at atariage

For the joy of it, I've decided to update the prices :D

1st price ...... Mechatronic Extended Basic II Plus

2nd price ...... Pitfall! homebrew cartridge

3rd price ...... The Attack cartridge

Please submit your new game directly to me, by either posting it in this thread or

by sending me a PM via atariage. The idea is to put the entries on a dedicated webpage.

The deadline is January 31st 2010 and the winner will be announced on February 15th.

So what do you think? Give it a shot and let's create some new games for this wonderful little machine ;)

retroclouds

Edited by kroy2049
  • Like 1

OK, I'm officially planning to enter my current project, "Herding Cats," into the competition. This will give me a deadline to work toward, which may be the only way it gets done. :) Do you want us to post screenshots, status updates, and the like, or should we leave our projects "shrouded in secrecy" until the deadline?

Keith

OK, I'm officially planning to enter my current project, "Herding Cats," into the competition. This will give me a deadline to work toward, which may be the only way it gets done. :) Do you want us to post screenshots, status updates, and the like, or should we leave our projects "shrouded in secrecy" until the deadline?

Keith

Looking forward to that!

Yes, please do post your screenshots/status updates, etc. right here at atariage.

This allows others who have an interest to see how the game progresses, that's part of the fun ;)

retroclouds

I too plan on entering the competition. I think the deadline is a pro (not a con) for me too. I have not yet decided what to do, but it will most certainly be an arcade style game. And no doubt about it being an 8K assembler cartridge project.

:)

That is good news! An 8K assembler cartridge projects sounds great.

I think this competition is going to be fun, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed :)

retroclouds

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure many GREAT games will come out of this competition. I look forward to playing them all on my TI. I will also be submitting a new XB game... Unfortunately, no cartridge implementation possibilities, due to the limitations of the language, but it will be fun nonetheless. I'll post some pix and video shorts here on a dedicated thread... I hope some of you have the time to give me a

hand. :)

I'm sure many GREAT games will come out of this competition. I look forward to playing them all on my TI. I will also be submitting a new XB game... Unfortunately, no cartridge implementation possibilities, due to the limitations of the language, but it will be fun nonetheless. I'll post some pix and video shorts here on a dedicated thread... I hope some of you have the time to give me a

hand. :)

Whew! I had it in my head that the deadline was the end of THIS month, and I thought I was doomed. I still plan to try to get my game, Herding Cats, ready for the contest. I will start a dedicated thread for it when I have some photographic evidence that it actually exists. :) (Owen may tell you not to hold your breath - I think I told him to expect photos two months ago - but the project is not dead, just glacial). :)

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

E X T E N D E D - T I M E !!!

ok people, I have a lot of stuff on my plate right now. Work has been keeping me way too busy lately and I really need to finish the Pitfall! carts.

Therefor I have decided to extend the competition for two more weeks, the new deadline is set to:

Monday Feb 15th

The winners will be announced on Sunday Feb 28th.

This is a one time opportunity to finish, debug and polish your game :D

If you still want to submit your finished game by January 31st, you can do so and you will earn +3 bonus points,

but any later changes to the game will have to be ignored in the competition.

Well hell.... I was hoping to win by default.... Guess now I actually have to make the game "cooler" to stand a chance. 8/. Anyway, I have my game all figured out now.... Just need an hour or two's work to get it ready.... Of course with 2 extra weeks...... I might find a bunch more cool s*** to add.... I found out a brilliant way to keep my Speed up while adding a new element of technicality to the game... Visually, it has also taken on a life of it's own.... It is drawing itself now.... Boss stage is cool, and I have my music going through big "sound-list-conversion" dance..... Good medicine to have music in AL to play while gameplay is happening.... :)

Good news for me! My big "all-nighter" last night got derailed by a vomiting toddler. :( And I realized I'm not as close to finished as I thought I was... still a long way to go. If I can have another weekend (hopefully with no sick kids) I should be able to finish all of it, even the parts I'd planned to skip for the contest (the in-game help, etc).

• 2 weeks later...

With 4 days left to go we are reaching the hot phase of the RGPC competition.

Next monday at 23:59:59 CET (Central European Time) the competition will be closed.

Please attach the final version of your game to this thread together with instructions on how to run it.

How many finished entries will we see ? Can we expect a new hidden entry to popup in the last few minutes before

the competition is closed ? Let's find out next week :D

Well---it's down to the wire--- there is always MORE to do.... eventually you just gotta call it "done" and move on. I could have submitted a much stripped down version on the first of Feb, but now I've had time to go back, re-think, re-tool, and add some features I didn't have before. Even if the contest was extended to May first, it would still never be perfect... :) But that's the way it goes.... Anyway, thanks again in advance for all entries to the contest--- don't know how many entries there will be, maybe a sneak surprise? :). Good luck to Keith and the others. It's a sad day

today as I learned Karsten will not be entering "Destroyer" into the contest. When it IS done, it will be an exciting day for TIers. :)

Deadline is coming along at warp speed....

As of now we still have about 28 hours to go.

Too bad the Destroyer entry has been cancelled, but the other ones are still going strong.

Will we be in for a surprise ? Let's find out tomorrow.

Even though the competition is not yet over, I want to take the opportunity to thank all

competitors. It's a joy to check the TI-99/4A programming subsection and read about the progress

being made.

We are almost there people ;)

It took almost every second, but I got it in under the deadline. I was unable to get the DDT drop implemented, but I finally got all the music finished, implemented, and rockin!!! <<BIG FARKING SIGH!!!!!>> =) Anyway, whatever... it's done for now. I will go back and finish all the stuff I didn't have time for at the moment, but it's done.

***WORD OF ADVICE***

I've had more than one complaint that this won't run in Classic99--- kicks out an I/O error on the CALL LOAD lines. Just use an older version of Classic99, and it works fine. Don't know why the objectfiles can't be read by the newer version, but Keith AND Filip both have had this issue before, and I'm tellin' ya... just use an older version of Classic99 and it works great. =)

Please report to my thread with any bugs you find. =) It should auto-load. No instructions have been written at this time. I will be posting those to my thread tomorrow or so. It's pretty simple though, here's the premise

1) Take your bee from the flowerbed to the Honeycomb 5 times to enter the honeycomb.

2) Inside the Honeycomb, you are bombarded with alien craft trying to abduct your bee.

3) Collect 5 coins inside the honeycomb to receive 1000 bonus points and an extra life.

4) High Score is the goal.

5) Have fun. =)

Mark Wills.... f***ing love you, man. =) My assembly guru, always knows what the bug in my code is. =)

FINALGAME.zip

• Like 1