IGNORED

New 3DO proto website up and running

I have to thank Dr. Lemmi for this rare find. :)

I will give Credit to Skywalker for telling me about that memory unit, but at the time i couldnt afford it, so i passed it onto The Certified 3DO Nut to make sure it would be cared for properly and not resold for profit :D

the 3DO is such an awsome system too bad it never really hit as big as nintendo and such. I own the Panasonic FZ-10 and have Road Rash and Wing commander 3 and they are both awsome games, but I never can find any hardware or games for it locally. I always have to look to e-bay, and even then it's really nothing I would want to buy.

The 3DO machine was an idea that was just simply years ahead of its time, like the Phillips CD-i.

That is the exact reason I own both of them. I think they're both great, they were both ahead of their time and I know the 3DO has some great games, not sure about the CD-i yet(just got it). They deserved to be so much more popular and liked, but they weren't and that's one of the big reasons I like them so much. My 3DO is played probably even more than my 2600, so that tells you something right there.

You basically summed up everything I was thinking in one sentence :D

The 3DO machine was an idea that was just simply years ahead of its time, like the Phillips CD-i.

That is the exact reason I own both of them. I think they're both great, they were both ahead of their time and I know the 3DO has some great games, not sure about the CD-i yet(just got it). They deserved to be so much more popular and liked, but they weren't and that's one of the big reasons I like them so much. My 3DO is played probably even more than my 2600, so that tells you something right there.

You basically summed up everything I was thinking in one sentence :D

I wouldnt say that the 3DO was "an idea that was just simply years ahead of its time" because the system is a reality. That crown would go to Jaguar's accessories. The system was definitely very advanced for the time so much in fact that the $700.00 price tag is what held the system back. I bet that if the 3DO systems initially sold for $400.00, we would be playing the M2 today.

I bet that if the 3DO systems initially sold for $400.00, we would be playing the M2 today.

:x :x :x It's Panasonic's fault. :x :x :x

I was told by a former 3DO employee"Studio 3DO had loads of M2 Equipment, software, development tools,monitors,etc,etc. Since Panasonic decided not to to release it,all of this had to be sold for scrap".:x

I wouldnt say that the 3DO was "an idea that was just simply years ahead of its time" because the system is a reality. That crown would go to Jaguar's accessories. The system was definitely very advanced for the time so much in fact that the $700.00 price tag is what held the system back. I bet that if the 3DO systems initially sold for $400.00, we would be playing the M2 today.

A gaming machine that was "an idea that was just simply years ahead of its time" CANNOT be equated with vaporware, which from that I think you're mistaking what I'm saying about the 3DO to mean. Nintendo's Virtual Boy was also an idea that was years ahead of its time, though it was released. The reason? Inadequate technology running the thing. Stereoscoped monochrome red graphics against a black background that gave players a very weak feeling of an immersive gaming experience. And if that wasn't enough, the games that were released for it didn't get enough people interested in buying it. What killed the 3DO, though, wasn't just so much its technology, but also what the company tried to make the 3DO out to be through its marketing and initial releases...a gaming machine that could be used for much more than just a gaming machine. Its price pointing and marketing was between competing with hard-core gaming machines like the Super NES and the Genesis and with these "multimedia entertainment systems" (whatever they called it) like the CD-i and the CDTV. This confused marketing strategy ended up working against themselves, even though the 3DO managed to somewhat outlast the CD-i and CDTV units when games actually did come out for it. I think right now we're starting to see systems like the Playstation 2 and the X-Box that are actually doing what the 3DO and CD-i systems were hoping to do, yet all without trying to redefine these systems as "multimedia entertainment systems."