IGNORED

Cart battery

Richard H.

There's no room for a battery holder in there, they just don't make them thin enough. I could use old tags, but I would have to attempt soldering them on, which is a bit risky.

I have found some tagged coin cells for about £2 each, which is expensive I think.

There was a guy selling them on EBay a while back, cheap too.

The original idea was to get them from GameBoy carts (with SRAM) as I'm harvesting the tiny battery superviser chips. But I don't know how much juice will be left in the coin cells after 10+ years.

Edited by Richard H.

There's no room for a battery holder in there, they just don't make them thin enough. I could use old tags, but I would have to attempt soldering them on, which is a bit risky.

I think there are bent-metal-only battery holders that you can slide a battery into. If anyone finds a source for these that fit CR2032 cells, it would be a good thing. But there's no way you're going to get the PC motherboard battery holders to fit in a cartridge when mounted on the board.

• 2 weeks later...
I think there are bent-metal-only battery holders that you can slide a battery into

Found some :cool:

I had to make a new library for it in Eagle. The - of the battery is actually a pad on the PCB.

I'm sure the VB cart case will go on. I'll know for certain when the PCB's get here.

I'll have to work out how long a CR1225 will last powering a 62256 SRAM. It should be in years I would think.

I'll have to work out how long a CR1225 will last powering a 62256 SRAM. It should be in years I would think.

It all depends on which version of the chip... There are standard power then there are low power standby versions. Find the lowest power standby version and you'll maximize your battery life.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I got hold of some MS6264L SRAM. They will hold data down to 2V.

Now, something weird is happening. I'm using the SRAM and 3V CR1225 coin cell with a ICL7673 (automatic battery back-up switch). But as soon as I connected the battery the voltage dropped a whole volt.

It's still within data retention range at 2.1V, but only just.

I just measured a very old GameBoy cart battery (which uses a custom Nintendo chip for switching) and it's still at 3.1V

Can someone confirm that the ICL7673 is appropriate for this, or is there a better way of doing it ?

Thanks

Buy CR-2032 ni-cad batteries at the dollar store for cheap, then use a Dremel to cut the old battery tabs loose. Finally, solder small sections of wire between the new battery and the contact points on the game's PCB, watching for correct polarity. Presto, the game should work like new.

OK, I got hold of some MS6264L SRAM. They will hold data down to 2V.

Now, something weird is happening. I'm using the SRAM and 3V CR1225 coin cell with a ICL7673 (automatic battery back-up switch). But as soon as I connected the battery the voltage dropped a whole volt.

It's still within data retention range at 2.1V, but only just.

I just measured a very old GameBoy cart battery (which uses a custom Nintendo chip for switching) and it's still at 3.1V

Can someone confirm that the ICL7673 is appropriate for this, or is there a better way of doing it ?

Thanks

Is this a retrofit on something that didn't have battery backup previously?

The battery must be overloaded - are you sure it's not trying to also power the ROM?

Is this a retrofit on something that didn't have battery backup previously?

No, it's a cart for homebrew VirtualBoy games that require high score / level saving (see pic)

are you sure it's not trying to also power the ROM?

I checked, it's just putting power to the SRAM. I'm going to try with a larger CR2032 battery and see how that copes.

post-2630-126167685145_thumb.jpg

Fixed it :). I'd left the Chip Selects floating, which meant it was going in and out of standby (in normal mode it burns through the battery).

Had it hooked up for a couple of days now and the coin cell has not gone down even 0.01V yet :thumbsup:

I've made myself a replacement Wario so I can preserve my NIB one :cool: