IGNORED

TI 99/8 on Ebay - yikes!

InfernalKeith

Just in time for Christmas, if Santa has $2,000 he'd like to spend on you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Texas-Instruments-99-8-99-4a-floppys-xs-2-3-contl_W0QQitemZ320455846441QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9ca82a29

To be fair, it IS a nice lot of stuff, I think the p-code card goes for a lot on its own. But man... two grand. Do the 99/8 prototypes in existence fully function? Like, if you wrote a program on one, could you distribute it to the other few people who have one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item4a9ca82a29

To be fair, it IS a nice lot of stuff, I think the p-code card goes for a lot on its own. But man... two grand. Do the 99/8 prototypes in existence fully function? Like, if you wrote a program on one, could you distribute it to the other few people who have one?

Well, while the P-Code card does fetch a few bucks it's the addition of the original TI99/4 that's pictured that's the real bonus in addition to the TI99/8. He has it listed as a 4A which is curious since he's knowledgable enough to know about TI rarities such as the 99/8 but is ignorant of the first official model. Makes one wonder if that's just added bait and he's planing on shafting the buyer on the whole deal or, at the very least, a "bait & switch".

Well, while the P-Code card does fetch a few bucks it's the addition of the original TI99/4 that's pictured that's the real bonus in addition to the TI99/8. He has it listed as a 4A which is curious since he's knowledgable enough to know about TI rarities such as the 99/8 but is ignorant of the first official model. Makes one wonder if that's just added bait and he's planing on shafting the buyer on the whole deal or, at the very least, a "bait & switch".

A bit off topic, I had the opportunity to buy a prototype TI 99/4 a few years ago for just over $100 but did not... I have been kicking myself since :mad:

Yeah.. I've understood that 99/8's go for around $1000 +/- $200 or so. Some apparently work, some don't, I don't think any are 100% functional. I haven't seen one up close yet myself.

The 99/4 goes for $100-$200 usually. I got mine for $100 and consider that a good buy (considering selling it now, I've got what I wanted from it).

P-Code cards are uncommon, but probably not really worth much more than the 99/4. His lot is probably worth about $1500-$1800 at a start anyway, so his buy it now isn't too bad. I was going to put in a bid, but I saw he already had three and figured I can't spend too much. ;)

A bit off topic, I had the opportunity to buy a prototype TI 99/4 a few years ago for just over $100 but did not... I have been kicking myself since :mad:

Huh, aren't you 15 years old? :ponder:

Huh, aren't you 15 years old? :ponder:

16, but what does that have to do with anything :?

Were there any games written for the P-code card?

If yes, I expect them to be text games. Just curious anyway.

I always wanted to own a P-code card, but never got one.

I've heard that P-code programs are well kinda slow? :roll:

I'm not sure what software was written specifically for TI's Pascal implementation... I do know the P-Code machine is done in software on the 9900, and the software appears to have a lot of GPL (though I haven't dug deep into it).

I've heard performance is okay, despite that.

Yeah.. I've understood that 99/8's go for around $1000 +/- $200 or so. Some apparently work, some don't, I don't think any are 100% functional. I haven't seen one up close yet myself.

The 99/4 goes for $100-$200 usually. I got mine for $100 and consider that a good buy (considering selling it now, I've got what I wanted from it).

P-Code cards are uncommon, but probably not really worth much more than the 99/4. His lot is probably worth about $1500-$1800 at a start anyway, so his buy it now isn't too bad. I was going to put in a bid, but I saw he already had three and figured I can't spend too much. ;)

A couple of years ago when the TI/Ebay craze was booming, There was a 99/8 that went (supposedly) for 5 grand... That was almost imediatly followed by one that went for around $2500.00 (I believe it was Steve Eggers...) Now this guy can't sell that load for $2000.00. Hmmm Economy?