IGNORED

Best cross assembler for multiple 6502 targets

barnieg

I'm slowly learning how to use DASM as its used by Batari Basic for targetting the 2600, I've been reading up on the basics of Atari 8-bit computer assembly (GTIA chipset) and find that I may need to use another Assembler such as X-ASM. So that my brain doesn't explode can I use one assembler platform for all 6502 targets? This introduces the following questions:

1. If an alternative to DASM is used can Batari Basic still be used?

2. Could I use the same set-up for Atari 7800 or even one of the Commodore Computers at a later date?

3. Slightly of tangent - Is Graph2font available for Linux or are there plans to open up the source code?

Maybe I'm naive in wanting to be able to reuse code, but even without that I would rather not keep relearning the particular syntax's/differences of the Assembler I am coding in.

Thanks

Barnie

Thanks for the pointer, I've found that some 7800 software has been written using CC65.

I expect I will end up using Batari Basic + DASM for the 2600 and CC65 + CA65 for everything else

Out of interest has any one here been able to port a 2600 game written in assembly to another 6502 target leaving the game mechanics relatively intact?

thanks

Barnie

You'll need start-up code for each machine you target. The CC65 "C" compiler package available from http://www.cc65.org has start-up code for quite a few different 6502 machines.