IGNORED

Backward compatability

Atarifever

As a game? I personally thought it was great and is one of my favorite FPS's of all time.

Technically, I thought it had almost as many frame rate drops as the Xbox port and the jump wasn't nearly what I expected visually from the previous port. Not sure why it gets praised while everytime the Xbox port gets brought up at a message board it gets ragged on.

Not at all from a technical standpoint, but I too owned The Orange Box and am one of those heretics that just doesn't like the series. Atariboy....you're certainly in the M A J O R I T Y though :) If this wasn't a forum I probably wouldn't even express my dislike for the series in fear of getting an egg thrown at me!

I really wish I had given Portal a chance though. I mean, I had the thing on the disc and all....just that once I decided not to finish HL2 (which is VERY uncommon for me....I usually finish any game I start, even those I'm not really into) I got rid of the disc pretty quickly after that.

I think maybe if The Orange Box always gets praised it's for how much bang for the buck you get in one title more than anything with the actual HL2 port. At least that's been my impression (which isn't particularly deep, since HL2 articles don't really interest me) :)

Edited by Metal Ghost

Out of curiosity, how far did you get into it? I think I was a good 5 or 6 hours into it (It's a 15 hour experience for most) before I was really sucked in. Before that, it just seemed like a well done game that wasn't particularly special.

My favorite components of the series was the original and its expansions, but I thought Half-Life 2 fully delivered even if it didn't quite match the original.

I recommended Atari Anthology earlier and said it was problem free, but that's not quite the case. There's a single horizontal black line across the screen when viewing bonus material (The 2600 manual scans for instance). And back before getting a HDTV when I was playing 360 games at 480i on my CRT, there was some corruption with the galaxy menu that isn't present now that i'm running it in HD.

The games are fine either way though and the vector arcade games in particular look great thanks to Atari Anthology being one of the handful of Xbox games that ran in HD. Atari Anthology sure beats paying Game Room prices to have these things on your 360.

Edited by Atariboy

Not at all from a technical standpoint, but I too owned The Orange Box and am one of those heretics that just doesn't like the series. Atariboy....you're certainly in the M A J O R I T Y though :) If this wasn't a forum I probably wouldn't even express my dislike for the series in fear of getting an egg thrown at me!

I really wish I had given Portal a chance though. I mean, I had the thing on the disc and all....just that once I decided not to finish HL2 (which is VERY uncommon for me....I usually finish any game I start, even those I'm not really into) I got rid of the disc pretty quickly after that.

I think maybe if The Orange Box always gets praised it's for how much bang for the buck you get in one title more than anything with the actual HL2 port. At least that's been my impression (which isn't particularly deep, since HL2 articles don't really interest me) :)

haha. we totally see eye to eye on The Orange Box! *high five*

I actually did give Portal a real hard try. Slogged through it and didn't find it much fun. I think it's because I'm not big into puzzle games. I pushed hard through it when all the Portal 2 reviews were glowing.

Same thing for Assassin's Creed. After the glowing reviews of AC2, I picked up AC1 and pushed through it and hated it. Though all the fans say AC1 was bad and AC2 is the game to check out.

• 4 months later...

I recently played an original Xbox game on my old 360 hooked up to my Trinitron. Did it always stretch original Xbox games to 16:9, including 4:3 only games, and letterbox them on a 4:3 SD HDTV?

Aspect ratios are always right on my HDTV on my primary 360 (Full screen 16:9 if it was a widescreen game, pillarboxed 4:3 if it isn't). But I sure don't remember this issue back around 2006 when I didn't have a HDTV and had first bought the console. I know I at least tried a few original Xbox games back then just to satisfy my curiosity even though I didn't take advantage of the feature much with an original Xbox hooked up to component to the same CRT.

Seems bizarre that I can't get full screen 4:3 output for an original Xbox game on a console that widely supported it itself during its early years. Not uncommon these days though for even a classic game to not have proper full screen 4:3 support like all of Sega's recent classic game downloads which are pillarboxed and letterboxed on a 4:3 display.

But these are original Xbox games...

Yeah it does just what it should when connected to a 16:9 HDTV.

I'm talking though about hooking it up to a 4:3 standard definition CRT. I don't recall it letterboxing 16:9 Xbox games or incorrectly stretching 4:3 only Xbox games to 16:9 proportions and then letterboxing them. As I recall back in 2006 I was able to get proper full screen 4:3 output with original Xbox games on my 360 just like with an original Xbox.

Yet that wasn't happening the other day. The three or four original Xbox games I put in were all 16:9 letterboxed, even when the game didn't have a 16:9 mode, with nothing being full screen in backwards compatibility mode.

Edited by Atariboy