IGNORED

Honeycomb Rapture (RGPC)

Opry99er

Greetings all! I'm in the process of re-starting my Honeycomb Rapture game programming. I ceased it not too long ago due to frustration--- but after seeing the upcoming "Destroyer" prelims, I became excited again. I have a couple things to say in introduction here, then I'll post pix and vids later.

1) This game is in XB (I know, I know....slow)

2) I am hoping to allow for multiple players at some point, but for now, I'm just focusing on single player action.

3) This will be my second video game release on the TI-99/4a

Here is the description/synopsis of the game, as it is posted on my game development site in Opry99er.com....

"Honeycomb Rapture is an arcade-type action based game based around the current global honey-bee crisis. Honeybees are disappearing all over the world by the millions, and your goal in this game is to personally take control of one honeybee at a time and guide them from the garden to the honeycomb before they get hit by aircraft-dropped pesticides or Africanized "killer bees." Each level presents an increasing level of difficulty as the frequency and speed of your enemies increases. Good Luck!"

photo(2).jpg

This is an early drawing of the main player SPRITE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_mFqgErCIU

***This is an early implementation of some conceptual sprite patterns. Since, I have added JOYST support, 4 new SPRITE directions, (up and right, down and right, down and left, up and left) that make the SPRITE look much more realistic going in all 8 directions. I'll try to take a video of the updated code and post it here soon.

Thanks all... glad to be here and I hope you guys can help me out!

Owen

***UPDATE::: Also implemented the "lives" and "level" values in the top right of the corner...

-The honeycomb graphic for the top right of the screen and the flower bed on the bottom of the screen are both on paper, but not coded in yet. Very cool looking stuff. The vid in the original post was just a tester for the SPRITES and "canola" field. I'll have the rest done up in a video here very soon. Thanks

Owen

***UPDATE::: Also implemented the "lives" and "level" values in the top right of the corner...

-The honeycomb graphic for the top right of the screen and the flower bed on the bottom of the screen are both on paper, but not coded in yet. Very cool looking stuff. The vid in the original post was just a tester for the SPRITES and "canola" field. I'll have the rest done up in a video here very soon. Thanks

Owen

Very nice seeing "Honeycomb Rapture" in the RGPC :thumbsup:

I wouldn't worry about the game being done in XB.

Actually some of my favourite TI games are written in that language.

Using assembly language is certainly not a garantee for getting a great game.

I Checked your video and am looking forward seeing more.

I'm especially interested in seeing the flower bed.

Do you alreay have an idea what colors you will use ?

Essentially, the game goes by level and the goal is a high score. Each level has increased enemy speed and every "other" level (or so) adds another killer bee. The goal is to take your bee from the flower bed (bottom left) to the honeycomb (top right) without getting killed by the killer bees or killed by the DDT the plane will be dropping. Essentially, each bee you successfully get to the honeycomb will give a certain number of points, and the point reward increases with each level as well. I am considering adding a bonus level every fifth level or so--wherein the bee is inside the comb trying to reach the center-- but obstacles will arise, of course. :). A new level is reached when the player deposits 3 bees into the honeycomb. So---this is the premise.... Any ideas on improvement or suggestions on added "coolness?"

I like flower beds :)

A few years ago they had a game in the MSXDEV competition called "BeeZ". That game has a beautiful flower bed.

It looks like normal TI graphics mode to me, so something as nice as that should be possible in XB as well I guess :)

beez_sample_image.gif

(*) Picture copyright Darkstone Team. MSXDEV'06 entry "BeeZ"

Update:: I found my graphing paper with the flower patterns.... What I came up with is very somilar but not as smooth. It looks like to me that the authors of this game also chose to use a 3x3 block for the flowers/petals. The one thing is--- the smoothness of the rounded petals might be beyond what is available in XB. I say that-- but I might be wrong. The four petals that go in the 4 primary directions look similar In their smoothness, but the four other directions don't look as good. Using the 8x8 pixel grid to make up the flower petals leaves my graphics lacking.... I'll do it up on the emulator and post a vid.

Here are two more shots of the planning/programming phase of the game. The first pic is of the "plane" enemy.. the second is of the flower idea.

***Flower planning

-the top right pic is of the basic idea

-the top left pic is of an idea for the "center" of the flower

-the bottom right is a pic of the "diagonal" petals... up and right, down and right, etc...

-the bottom left pic is one of the main petal graphic... up, down, left, right.

Already got the hex code ready on all of this... just gotta type it in. If you can read the code from this pic... type it in for me, tell me how it looks. =) I'll be away from the computer for a couple of days. Thanks

IMG_0800.JPG

IMG_0799.JPG

Hope you like... hope to have vids up soon

Trying to get the flower patterns right... In the above sketches/graphs, the "center" of the flower takes up nearly an entire character space (see top left photo)... In code, this looks blocky and takes away from the overall feel of what the flower is "supposed" to look like. Anyway, thinking of trimming that center down and continuing the petals well into this middle block. I'll post some code or a photo later this evening. Maybe a video by tomorrow. Any suggestions?

Good idea... But that would take up alot of space... Not only am I restricting access to the "sky" portion of the Screen, but with a 5x5 square flower makes my usable canola field space very very small.... I'll code it in today, post a vid... Promise. . Thanks Karsten

Edited by Opry99er

On a related topic, I have just completed a short music piece that I will be posting in a few minutes. Hope you all don't mind it in code form... I can't figure out how to capture audio from Classic99... My dev emulator. Anyway... Keep your eyes out for it

Edited by Opry99er

Neato! What graphics software are you using, by the way? It might make graphics testing faster than defining characters, calling colors by character set, display at or call hchar, etc... I like both patterns you've posted though!

PaintShopPro6 and PhotoShopCS4. PaintShopPro loads about 50 times faster, so ...

I like your approach though. Often I sketch things out on graph paper - especially when on holiday. And the retro feel of it all. Like entering a program from a magazine. Cool.

:thumbsup:

Well, it is not always the most efficient way to do it, but it seems to work since I have limited resources currently. It would be much easier if I had a graphics program and a hex converter to take a 8x8 character and turn it into code... Willsy had something like that on his SPRDEF program, but it doesn't spit out a copyable code---as it is a TI program. Thanks for the encouragement, my friend. I'll have some music code posted soon. Thanks

This is the BASIC format of the "boss" stage level... or "inside the honeycomb" stage... Still working on ironing it out and adding a few new accents

100 CALL CLEAR

110 CALL SCREEN(6)

111 FOR I=1 TO 4

115 CALL SOUND(400,165,1)

120 CALL SOUND(200,220,2,440,2,523,1) :: CALL SOUND(200,220,2,440,2,494,1) :: CALL SOUND(200,220,2,440,2,523,1)

130 CALL SOUND(200,220,2,440,2,587,1) :: CALL SOUND(200,220,2,330,2,659,1) :: CALL SOUND(200,220,2,440,2,587,1)

140 CALL SOUND(200,220,2,440,2,523,1) :: CALL SOUND(200,165,2,440,2,494,1)

150 CALL SOUND(200,220,2,440,2,523,1) :: CALL SOUND(200,220,2,440,2,494,1) :: CALL SOUND(200,220,2,440,2,523,1)

160 CALL SOUND(200,220,2,440,2,587,1) :: CALL SOUND(400,220,2,330,2,659,1)

170 NEXT I

I actually wrote this for a different game... A game I myself did not write--- but the fellow for whom I wrote this short snippit did not seem interested in using it, so I'm going to use it. :). Just need to figure out how to get it into low memory and CALL LOAD it along with my other music for the main gamescreen and the title page.