IGNORED

"Prototype," my ass!

Snider-man

Get a load of this chucklehead. He's selling Berkerk VE and Haunted House 3D. No problem with that, though some may scream "profiteer."

Here's what pisses me off. He calls each one a "prototype" in the auction title. THEN, he says in the auction description, "Oh yeah, these aren't prototypes, I just wanted to get your attention."

So, who wants to lay the smackdown on this idiot? Someone want to contact Safeharbor for shifty selling practices? If this is legal I've got several Combat prototypes to sell. OK, so they're not prototypes, but I wanted you to check out the auction.

What an ass. Here are the links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=1393158077

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=1393183043

Yeah, I saw the Berzerk VE auction and this is what eBay calls SPAM and they say they will shut down auctions where people do this, but who knows if that's true or not. The fact that this guy is bragging about doing so in his auction description makes him a prime candidate for getting his auctions shut down. Also interesting is that his auctions are "private" so people can't point the bidders to our store, where they can get a brand new copy of Berzerk VE for $25.

..Al

I turned them into Safeharbor with a full letter. Let's see what happens. If others want to send in letters, go ahead. It may shut this down faster.

safeharbor@ebay.com

EDIT: OK, so eBay no longer takes direct e-mail letters about questionable auctions. Typical eBay efficiency. Anyway, here's the letter and link I got:

Thank you for writing to the eBay SafeHarbor Team.

The address you wrote to (safeharbor@ebay.com) is no longer in service.

Please resend your email to us through one of the online webforms listed

below. Using these forms will help us direct your email to the right

department where we can quickly answer your question correctly and get

it right back to you.

For Trust and Safety issues (reports of policy violations, problems with

transactions, suspensions, etc.) please use the following webform:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/basics/select-RS.html[/url]

With it being private, I bet the one bid is either THAT account or another one he created. :D

Why don't one of you do the following:

1) Create a "fake" ebay account

2) Bid something like $5,000.00

3) Retract bid at last minute pointing out that you thought you were bidding on a prototype OR say something along of the lines of "Well...just want to get your attention".

Ok...probably not nice, but it sure would be funny. :D

Cap

2) Bid something like $5,000.00

3) Retract bid at last minute pointing out that you thought you were bidding on a prototype OR say something along of the lines of "Well...just want to get your attention".

Cap

Since each of those is an EBAY violation in itself, three wrongs don't make a right - and I don't think that would be funny at all. We are adults here, aren't we?

2) Bid something like $5' date='000.00

Cap[/quote']

Not that I care AND I don't want this thread to turn into a flame war however, the last time I checked, NONE of these are against EBAY rules.

1) I see nothing that says you cannot have multiple accounts. I know many people that use multiple accounts depending on what they're doing. By "fake" I meant that you wouldn't be too terribly upset if you received some negative feedback.

2) How is bidding against EBAY rules? Wow...sure are a lot of people in violation of that one.

3) You are semi-correct on this one. Retracting a bid is against the rules. That said, there are circumstances in which it is allowed. For example, perhaps instead of claiming "just wanted to get your attention" you could immediately after bidding, claim you meant to put $5 or $50 or whatever. You can then retract your original bid as long as you then bid the correct amount.

That said, I'd like to say relax. It was all meant in fun with no harm intended. In case you didn't notice, I didn't say anything about me doing it and I also indicated haha with the big ol' :D <--Smile.

Cap

I just saw this guy's auction advertised in rgvc, I don't think it's as bad as it seems unless he's lying through his teeth. Sure the L@@K Prototype/Not really trick is stupid and probably not right, maybe an email to the seller with a warning to cease and desist before you turn him into ebay would be in order. Anyways, he says he got them at the CGE and wants to unload the games so it probably is some profiteering:

Message 1 in threadFrom: Daryl L (dmanlv@lvcm.com)

Subject: FA 2 CGE2K2 Titles, Berzerk VE & Haunted House 2 3-D 5200  

View this article onlyNewsgroups: rec.games.video.classic, rec.games.video.marketplace

Date: 2002-10-27 22:43:34 PST

Hello, I have 2 CGE2K2 titles that I bought from the expo this year that I

have to part with...

Berzerk Voice Enhanced Edition - Awesome Berzerk revamp... All the arcade FX

in the 2600 game now!

Haunted House 2 3D for the Atari 5200 - Sequal to the 2600 game another

awesome game...

Both come with the instruction booklets that you got with them... Thanks

for looking! - D

So this would be OK?

Auction title: "FA: Super rare Atari 2600 Video Life!-Original prototype!"

Auction copy: "OK, this isn't really a prototype. It's not even original, being a Hozer copy. OK, it's not even Video Life, but rather a copy of Combat. But you wouldn't have come to this auction otherwise! I needed to attract the collectors! Now that I've finally told the truth, here's my auction text..."

THIS is what I have a problem with. Yes, perhaps "Prototype" is strecthing it. But he LIED and he admitted to LYING in his auction copy. He is DELIBERATELY misleading people, as he admits to such in his auction ads.

This is why I've already turned him in to SafeHarbor and Citizen's Watch. I could care less about the "profiteering" aspect. He bought 'em and they're his to sell as he pleases. It's the deliberate "prototype" spam that hacks me off. It's not OK to lie if you admit you lied in your auction text.

good points, Snider-man, I was just wondering what if it was one of us who hadn't sold something like this before and was trying to be cute/gimicky. A warning email to the seller with a 1 day time limit to do something about it before turning him into safe harbor, etc.

But if you think it serious enough then I would go with your opinion all the way.

Not that I care AND I don't want this thread to turn into a flame war however, the last time I checked, NONE of these are against EBAY rules.

Cap

Hypothetically speaking, I think setting up a "fake" (as you put it) account for the express purpose of making false bids on someone elses auction is certainly against EBAY rules. Transaction interference, Invalid Bid Retraction, Bid shielding and/or Shill bidding in any form (take your pick) are explicit NO-NO's on EBAY.

That said, I'd like to say relax. It was all meant in fun with no harm intended. In case you didn't notice, I didn't say anything about me doing it and I also indicated haha with the big ol' :D <--Smile.

I'm not defending the seller of that auction, but I just wanted to point out that there are clearly defined ways of dealing with sellers who violate the rules. Stooping down to that level, hypothetically speaking :D doesn't make us any better than that seller, and that's not what we are about here, right? ;)