IGNORED

Blocked In

yuppicide

Would anyone mind taking a look at something for me?

Awhile ago I started a game called Acid Fish. Since then I've changed the theme of the game and have come up with new ideas.

It's now called Blocked In. I had some issues with the other code, so I've redesigned everything from the start. This is the first time I'm using multicolored background and I'm having issues. When the game starts up I get random garbage on the screen. Also, when the "coral" goes off the bottom of the screen my scanlines jump to 263, although otherwise they're a steady 262. Everything should be fully commented. Attached to this is the source code and bin.

Don't bother me with other issues right now, as that's all I am focusing on. I know there's other issues, such as boundries and getting outside the walls.

Snapshot:

post-6095-126214431122_thumb.png

The story:

A mad scientist decided he wanted a pet and bought a fish. Being that he's a mad scientist, he can't just have any normal tank, though. He built a special one where the coral attacks you, the walls close in to crush you, and the water slowly drains out! Beware, the mad scientist will only revive you three times before he gets bored and leaves you dead for good!

How to play:

You guide the fish with the joystick and navigate through the coral gaps. If you hit the coral while in the left half of the screen the left side of the tank closes in on you. If you hit the coral while in the right half of the screen the right side closes in on you.

Right now there's not much too it, similar to the previous game I was making.

Things for the future to implement:

- After the walls close in too much you'll be crushed to death, losing a life. Three lives lost and it's game over.

- I think I have a way to implement a "wave" like effect on the top of the tank.. to simulate moving water. I know how to do it I believe, but haven't started work on it.

- I will be redoing how scoring works. For example, right now you get 10 points for successfully making it through the coral and you lose 30 points for hitting coral. You cannot go below 0 points. In the future you will gain a 1 point every second (roughly) for staying under the coral longer. After you navigate through the coral and into the top zone you will no longer gain that bonus. This will bring in some strategy to how people play. Some people will try to stay under longer for the bonus points, some will just navigate the coral grabbing their 10 points and moving on to higher levels.

- You can only swim in water. The water will slowly drain out of the tank making less room for your fish to swim. If you're a "fish out of water" you'll lose a life. Think of this sort of like a timer. You must make it to the next level before you die.

- Every so many points a new level will appear. Things will happen: Coral will get faster, water will drain faster, gaps to go through coral will get smaller, gaps will move back and fourth.

- Sounds. I'm no good with getting sounds to work, so I'll save them for last. Ideas are sound of wall crushing in, sound of water going down, and title screen music. I was also thinking of a "panic" sound. Every time the coral moves down it would make a sound and if you're still under the coral going for the bonus points it would start to get faster sounding, thus creating the illusion of panic and that you need to get out of there. Think of the panic sound similar to Space Invaders and how it gets faster.

- Title screen of course.

- Possibly re-adding bubbles I had in previous version.

- Moving around with the fire button pressed will speed things up and you'll gain an additional 1 point bonus for every second (roughly) that you have the button pressed.

blockedin_v206_water_v2.bas

blockedin_v206_water_v2.bas.bin

Edited by yuppicide

If nobody else with more skill looks at it tonight, I'll see if I notice anything. While you're waiting, how about taking a look at this and letting me know if you hate the animation:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/127258-unnamed-scrolling-game-work-in-progress/page__view__findpost__p__1898192

Use pfclear to get rid of the garbage and if you want the screen to be black, you could use this:

pfcolors:
$00
$00
$00
$00
$00
$00
$00
$00
$00
$00
$00
$00
$00
$00
$00
$00
$00
$00
$00
$00
$00
$00
end

I stuck a drawscreen after gaprand2 and that seemed to fix the 263 problem.

blockedin_2009y_12m_30d_0617t.bas

blockedin_2009y_12m_30d_0617t.bin

Edited by Random Terrain
  • Like 1

I wonder if the "wave" effect I was thinking of trying will even look good. Here's what I had in mind to create a "wave" effect on top of my tank water:

Currently the black section of my tank ie: the tank walls and coral are drawn with pfpoke statements.

I was also thinking to use PFPOKE to poke my waves up top.. maybe someone can think of a better way. So far I haven't managed to get it working.

What I have is a wave like this:

post-6095-126231686307_thumb.png

It's 8 wide and 3 tall. That can be tiled across the top to look something like this:

post-6095-126231714885_thumb.png

So my idea was to poke 0 to 3, then 4 to 7.

Then every frame or two I'd poke again with different values to give the appearance that the water is moving.

So far I got all messed up results, but I was at work when I tried, so I'll have to give a good try from home.

• 6 months later...