IGNORED

Updated Mobile Skin Available

Albert

I've just updated the AtariAge mobile skin. It now supports iPhone, iPod Touch, Android, Palm Pre, and Blackberry devices! I haven't tested the skin with with a Blackberry or Palm Pre, so if anyone has one of these phones and could try visiting the forums with it, I'd appreciate it. Pictures/screenshots of how the skin looks with a Blackberry and Palm Pre would also be great to see. :)

If you haven't tried this skin yet, it's MUCH faster to browse and navigate the forum with than using the normal skin. If you have one of the above devices, the skin should be detected automatically. You can always get back to the main "desktop skin" by scrolling all the way to the bottom of the skin and selected "View Desktop Version". This is useful if you want to use the Blog or other modules that are not supported at this time by the mobile skin.

Enjoy!

..Al

Using my Blackberry (8310 I think), with Opera Mini browser I don't believe I'm seeing the mobile skin at all. The site looks pretty much the same as any other time I've hit it from my blackberry. The "View Desktop Version" choice doesn't appear at the bottom. It perpetually says "Switch to Mobile Skin" no matter how many times I click on it.

Using the standard Blackberry browser, I see only what appears to be the rightmost column of the home page: Systems..., Did you Know, Auction Spotlight, Contests, Mailing List, etc.

Opera Mini:

post-12370-126270627576_thumb.jpgpost-12370-126270629536_thumb.jpg

Blackberry:

post-12370-126270632276_thumb.jpgpost-12370-126270623518_thumb.jpgpost-12370-126270625764_thumb.jpg

Edited by BigO

That looks pretty spectacularly bad, and it's definitely not the mobile skin. Hold old is that Blackberry? In order for the mobile skin to appear, your device browser needs to report that it's a Blackberry (for the user-agent string). It's possible that Opera is reporting something else. I personally do not have a Blackberry I can test this on, so I have to take the word of the developer. I'll look on their site today to see if I can gain any insight.

..Al

Blackberry is 1-2 years old, I guess. It's an 8310 (Curve).

I'd imagine the native Blackberry browser would report the platform and browser information accurately. I really expected it to work on that browser for that reason but it seemed even less functional.

Not sure what Opera reports. I remember on the desktop version of Opera, you could tell it what to report in terms of browser type. I don't see any such options in Opera Mini.

Edited by BigO

I just updated the Mobile Skin with a new version. This new version has a considerable number of improvements:

- Support for YouTube videos on iPhones

- Added Help

- Added Memberlist

- Added Advanced Search

- Added Mark Forum as Read to the bottom of forums

- Added Forum Leaders, Top Posters, Online List, etc

- Added Topic and Forum subscription

- Added confirm logout for those who press it by mistake

- Added Control Panel bits for the following...

- - Attachments

- - Announcements

- - Forum Pref

- - Photo

- - Ignored Users

- - Member Look Up

- - IP Address Look Up

- - Watched Forums

- - Watched Topics

- Fixed avatars on profiles for Facebook, Gravatar and Local users

- Fixed missing post background-color

- Fixed formatting issues in Help and Guidelines

- Fixed error messages

- Tweaked Profiles

Enjoy! I know this skin makes it much easier for me to browse the forums using my iPhone. :)

..Al

Awesome news Albert! Lately I have been doing more surfing on my iPod Touch 3G than on any of my computers, and I visit AA every day.

Then you'll definitely find these improvements useful. :) The skin author is going to be adding support for the Blogs module soon, which will be great since that's heavily used here..

..Al

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Albert. Browsing AA on my iPhone is a joy.

This.

I have a new version I need to install that fixes some problems and improves the skin even further. Once I install the new Blogs module (which I hope to do any day now), you'll be able to browse the Blogs with this mobile skin as well. :)

..Al

• 1 month later...

I have updated the Mobile Skin with a shiny new version. This new version includes several improvements, most notably the skin now has Blog support:

IMG_0236.PNG IMG_0237.PNG IMG_0238.PNG

I've also added several new user agents. The following devices/browsers should now automatically see the AtariAge mobile skin:

- iPhone

- iPhone Simulator

- iPod Touch

- Android

- Blackberry

- Palm Pre / Pixie

- Mobile Safari (misc mobile devices that use Safari)

- Symbian

- Opera Mini

- Opera Mobile

Enjoy!

..Al

No change on my Blackberry using the OEM browser and Opera Mini. :(

Doesn't look any different than before. Doesn't appear to be processing the skin in any way.

Cleared cache and everything I could think of. No dice.

Would be interesting to hear from someone else with a BB.

No change on my Blackberry using the OEM browser and Opera Mini. :(

Doesn't look any different than before. Doesn't appear to be processing the skin in any way.

Cleared cache and everything I could think of. No dice.

Would be interesting to hear from someone else with a BB.

Do you know what user agent your browsers are reporting? That's how the forum decides which skin to display. This site will tell you:

http://whatsmyuseragent.com/

..Al

• Like 1

Do you know what user agent your browsers are reporting? That's how the forum decides which skin to display. This site will tell you:

http://whatsmyuseragent.com/

..Al

Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.1.11355/958: U: en) Presto/2.4.15

Blackberry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MODP-2.0

Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

Edited by BigO

BTW - don't put a lot of effort into this on my account. I really won't use it much and am supposed to be getting an iPhone in the near future.

If you just want to troubleshoot it, I'll be happy to help.

Edited by BigO

BTW - don't put a lot of effort into this on my account. I really won't use it much and am supposed to be getting an iPhone in the near future.

If you just want to troubleshoot it, I'll be happy to help.

I'm not sure exactly how the User Agent matching is done. I'll have to do some experimenting. There are so many Blackberry models that it's probably not wise to just match on "Blackberry".

I should be able to run some reports on the web server access logs and get statistics for all the unique user agents sorted by number of visits by each.

..Al

• 1 year later...

Minor issue, so no biggie if it can't be done - but would it be possible to make it not default to the mobile skin when connecting with an iPad?

I can do that, but not sure I want to. I'll have to play with the regular skin and the mobile skin on my iPad to see which I prefer. You can click on a "Desktop" link at the bottom of the mobile page to return to the normal skin, but I'm not sure it'll remember that setting the next time you visit the forum.

..Al