IGNORED

5200 Musical Questions

icbrkr

I'm playing with the SAP program, and I'm very surprised how good many of these songs sound (almost as good as a SID chip :D). Reading the FAQ, it states that it's emulating the POKEY chip, so I'm assuming that this same music could be used on a 5200. Now, how hard would it be to write an interrupt driven player for it?

Brian

well...i write this completly out of the blue... but i have somewhere the XASM source for taquart's music composing tool called theta music composer. the replay code could be adapted from atari800 to 5200... but as taquart guys use always high optimised code it could be not so easy (f.e. nasty 6502 adressing tricks) f.e. regarding adressing the soundchip hardware...

another idea could be... try to extract the SAP player, load it into atari800win and try to disassemble the stuff...change the pokey registers and "incbin" the stuff into your code...

an interrupt handler is in general not necessary except that the music routine is run every 60/50 frame... and if you know how to install a vbl on 5200 than that is it... (assuming that you don't want a atari800 music with digi voice...)

hve