IGNORED

I cried!!

cheezball

This is my first post. And I am new to the whole forum thing. But I just have to tell someone about the 2600 I received today ... someone that I thought would care.

I recently won an Atari 2600A in original box. Got it today. The system is super clean and I am pretty sure one of the joysticks has never been used. All good!! But I was mortified to find it sitting on my deck IN THE ORIGINAL BOX!! The guy mailed it in the original box. Slapping 15ft. of USPS packing tape a mailing label and about 47 stamps on the thing!!

I cried!!

Anyone ever been dissapointed like this?

:sad:

@Cheezball,

That sucks! I would email the seller and tell him that you bid more on that particular system because you were expecting an original box. My wife does the Ebay shipping here and she would have put the box in a plastic bag and protective material and put it in a second box. If it said in the ad the box was included I think you deserve a partial refund.

By the way, welcome to Atariage.

-Chuck

I ordered an Atari 5200 carrying case. Brand new. But the original box was used as a shipping container. The box arrived so damaged I threw it away (the box only, not the case which is in new condition). The case is listed a 7 in the DP Guide. How rare is the box?

Where did you "Order" a 5200 carrying case?????? Got pics?

I ordered an Atari 5200 carrying case. Brand new. But the original box was used as a shipping container. The box arrived so damaged I threw it away (the box only, not the case which is in new condition). The case is listed a 7 in the DP Guide. How rare is the box?

You threw the box out???? :o I think that was a prototype box that is listed as an 11 in the Guide! I can't believe you threw it out, it was worth like....... ONE MILLLLLLLLLLLLION DOLLARS!! :P :dunce:

Yes, I did reluctantly throw the box out. It was beat up and I had no idea at that time that the carrying case was that rare. HOWEVER, I did photograph the box. I will dig out that photo and email it to anyone interested. I still have the case and it is nice!

$999,998 maybe. $1,000,000 nahhhh. You're making me feel bad now. I should, huh?

MrRetroGamer, sorry I couldn't reply earlier. The immediate answer is, I have no idea where you or anyone else can get a 5200 carrying case (other than ebay). I purchased mine at least 15 years ago. At that time I dealt with several mail order companies selling off Atari stock. I do not remember what I paid for it although I am trying to track down more information to share.

I have spent several hours scouring my house trying to find the photo of the original box but so far to no avail. I still have hopes of turning it up. But it was only one photo. I will have to take photos of my case.

All this attention has taken me by surprise as I did not expect the amount of interest generated in the 5200 case. Any idea of how many actually exist?

AtariArt --

I hope you find the picture. The Atari 5200 wasn't around that long and it has fewer interesting peripherals so anything like a carrying case sparks interest. That thing must be like a suitcase considering how big the 5200 is -- I really can't see me in 1983 lugging the 5200 in a hard heavy case with the entire thing almost as big as me over to my friend's house for an overnighter :). -- RG

Slapping 15ft. of USPS packing tape a mailing label and about 47 stamps on the thing!!:sad:

I wonder if you could've thrown the box into a GIANT VAT full of Goo-Gone , maybe all of the tape and junk would've come off :)

But you said the box was in bad condition also...

This is my first post.  And I am new to the whole forum thing.  But I just have to tell someone about the 2600 I received today ... someone that I thought would care.

I recently won an Atari 2600A in original box.  Got it today.  The system is super clean and I am pretty sure one of the joysticks has never been used.  All good!!  But I was mortified to find it sitting on my deck IN THE ORIGINAL BOX!!  The guy mailed it in the original box.  Slapping 15ft. of USPS packing tape a mailing label and about 47 stamps on the thing!!

I cried!!

Anyone ever been dissapointed like this?

:sad:

It has happened to me too. I always make sure to tell them I am a collector and want the box shipped inside another box. :) Better luck next time!

Jason

Just last thursday, I got a 800xl in the box, shipped the same way, I even specifically asked for it to be double boxed, and paid 10 extra bucks, too.

Loads of USPS tape and stamps. Did I mention the address written in permanent marker right on the box?

BTW, she said she "forgot to pack it right" and is supposedly sending back the ten dollars.

Brad

something similar happened to me...

i got a MIB atari 2600 from a non-atari seller. she was selling a bunch of random junk from her basement. it even had original bubble wrap.

i thought about requesting a specific type of shipping package. i thought it would be pretty obvious though--just wrap something around the original box.

WELL, she finds another box and stuffs everything inside it. that was fine for the console, joysticks, etc. BUT THEN SHE FOLDS THE ORIGINAL BOX SEVERAL TIMES and stuffs it in the box. IT NOW HAS CREASE MARKS ALL OVER IT! :?: :?: :x :sad: :arrow: :| :) oh well, at least a crease is better than priority mail tape and postage!

brett6400