IGNORED

Portland Retrogaming Expo 2010

swlovinist

Just got back from Portland. I had an OK time at the expo. I only saw a handful of people there that I know, none of whom I knew well enough to want to hang out with, so it wasn't as fun as CGE has been in the past. Probably the best part of the show was meeting "Batari" Fred Quimby when I bought my Harmony cart from him. He was definitely a cool guy to talk to, but I didn't want to bug him when he had his booth going, so I wandered off. Lot's of stuff for sale, most of it overpriced as it was being sold mostly by professional game resellers. Unlike CGE, PRGE didn't have a place for people to set up for a short time and sell odds and ends. At CGE that's the best place to find good deals from fellow collectors. There were still good deals to be found, but you had to look harder. My two best finds were Batman and Herzog Zwei, both for Genesis and both CIB, for $5 and $15 respectively.

There was a lady there that custom makes console covers, and she was cool to talk to. She'll make you a cover for anything you want as long as you give her the dimensions, and I really liked the heavy-duty material that she uses. I think I am going to have her make a cover for my Genesis 1/Sega CD 1 stack. There was also a guy selling arcade marquees for $15 and he had a huge selection. I really wanted to buy one to use as wall art in my room, but it would have been a pain to bring home on the plane. They had all of the auction items on display, but nothing looked like anything worth sticking around for, so I left well before the auction started.

Here's everything that I came home with.

PRGE2010_Finds.JPG

King's Quest 1 (VGA re-release - DOS) $5

Space Quest II (DOS) $5

Leisure Suit Larry III (DOS) $5

10 Game Boy clam shells $5

Radio Shack "Whiz Kids" comic book $1

Harmony Cartridge (Deluxe version) $80

Super Famicom controller $15

Legendary Axe (case, manual, game - TG16) $10

PRGE 2010 souvenir cartridge $5 - Just a common Atari cart re-labeled with a special PRGE label.

Atari VCS paddle controllers $5

Genesis Game Genie manual plus a bunch of code update pamphlets $3

Sol Feace manual $1

Sherlock Holmes manual $1

Performance Super Pad 64 (N64) $5 - Nice find, because I've been looking for one of these for quite some time.

Atari VCS dust cover $5

Super Monaco GP (Genesis) CIB $1

Batman (Genesis) CIB $5

Herzog Zwei (Genesis) CIB $15

Assault Rigs (PSX) CIB $9

Baseball Stars II (NES) $21

Donkey Kong 3 (NES) $10

Not pictured, but while I was in Portland, I also bought an unofficial Super Mario World guide, written by Zach Meston, and an official Railroad Tycoon guide (for the original DOS game) at a local used book store. Pretty steep at $9 each, but I love old game guides.

Chris

Edited by Jibbajaba

There was a lady there that custom makes console covers, and she was cool to talk to. She'll make you a cover for anything you want as long as you give her the dimensions, and I really liked the heavy-duty material that she uses. I think I am going to have her make a cover for my Genesis 1/Sega CD 1 stack.

Funny, I was admiring her covers and realized it was someone I had known for a while and had no idea she was into gaming. It is good looking quality on the covers and reversible, so you could put black on one side and something louder on the other. Hey, could you post a scan or larger pic of the Whiz Kids comic? It looks like one I have not seen before. Morgan

WOW!! what a great show, want to thank all who came out to it, and big thanks to all the staff for helping make this show the best ever! I personally had a great time! (I think i talked more this weekend then i have in my whole life LOL) and sold a ton of stuff! i almost always find something for my collection at our show each year, this year i did not have the time to do much looking, and as the show was closing i had still yet to find anything new for my collection, as i was packaging things up i glanced over to Chuck's booth and this stood out (like it was calling my name) my eyes was wide as can be and i quickly ran over (and tried not to drool on it) gradded it and went to pay for it, Chuck told me to keep my money and gave it to me for free. (Thank you Chuck!!)

we once again set new records for our show we had well over 1100 people (not counting vendors and guests) and counting people that go for both days as 1 person not 2 people. we had 35 vendors! and could have had a LOT more if we had the space! got a lot of great feedback from all the vendors, very happy to hear Joe Cody (atari2600.com) had a good time and plans on coming back next year! as well as many others! can't wait for the week to be over so i can start my vacation (i need it) :)

it was great talking with everyone! like i said before i talked more this weekend that i started to lose my voice a bit on Saturday.

another show under our belt, can't wait for the next one!

Rick

post-626-128503389839_thumb.jpg

post-626-128503391415_thumb.jpg

Which booth was yours, Rick?

I saw that game case and even picked it up to check it out. All of my VCS games live in those exact same cases. Never saw a brand new one, though.

Chris

mine was the NWCGE booth where we held the raffles... yes i've never seen a new one before either! SWEET!!

Rick

Hey Chris! Rick's booth was right next to mine. Good to see you at the show.

toby

Toby, was your booth the one closer to the corner from Rick? I may need to talk to you about an Orange n64......Morgan

if you're facing towards my booth, Toby's booth is to the right of mine.

Rick