IGNORED

Season 5 Week 1 - Super Mario Bros. (1985)

CGQuarterly

861250. I dont think I will be touching this game again for a very long time. I think ive milked everything I can out of it without just dying out starting in world 6 or something. Good luck atari, I actually want to see you beat it! its a blast going back and forth like this. Your one tough cookie!

Wow thats fucked up that my score wont count AT ALL LOL . So we can use any old shitty emulator of SMB but SMB from all -stars which plays EXACTLY like the original is a no go huh? ;) I didn't know about the added time / points counted whatever. Can't we just take some points off of my score then or whatever? I tried to play the original NES rom on my modded Xbox but it wouldnt work so.. I do actually have an NES And SMB but its not hooked up and well I thought all stars would be good enough guess not. I've beaten the original on the NES atleast a hundred times and the all stars version plays EXACTLY like the original... So oh well, how many extra points do you think I got then because of the small difference between the OG and all stars? Would love to know. Since nothing was mentioned about all stars not being allowed I think its pretty messed up that my participation will not count for anything. Especially since this competition is just for fun and ya so maybe i got slightly more points than if played the exact same way on the NES original but again I ask how many points extra are we talking here? Several thousand at most, that still puts me on top. ;) Oh well, do whatever you want. I planned on participating in this league but this is not a good experience so far.

Its hard to know. Basically In all stars you have a few but pretty important diffs. The first is Mario has slightly better control (to be honest its not to noticeable. also you get extra points that depend on your time that would be almost impossible to figure out. I will say however that giving him zero points when we did not actually mention no all stars is a little tough. A good average would be 200 clicks on the clock per castle which would add up to around 80k points.

Well I do feel getting no score posted is wrong. A good average would be counting around 200 clicks of the clock per castle at 50 points a click times 8. So 200x50x8=80k leaving the score at close to 819000. I got the number by doing a couple fast runs through SMBA. Its still pretty good over all.

Wow thats fucked up that my score wont count AT ALL LOL . So we can use any old shitty emulator of SMB but SMB from all -stars which plays EXACTLY like the original is a no go huh? ;) I didn't know about the added time / points counted whatever. Can't we just take some points off of my score then or whatever? I tried to play the original NES rom on my modded Xbox but it wouldnt work so.. I do actually have an NES And SMB but its not hooked up and well I thought all stars would be good enough guess not. I've beaten the original on the NES atleast a hundred times and the all stars version plays EXACTLY like the original... So oh well, how many extra points do you think I got then because of the small difference between the OG and all stars? Would love to know. Since nothing was mentioned about all stars not being allowed I think its pretty messed up that my participation will not count for anything. Especially since this competition is just for fun and ya so maybe i got slightly more points than if played the exact same way on the NES original but again I ask how many points extra are we talking here? Several thousand at most, that still puts me on top. ;) Oh well, do whatever you want. I planned on participating in this league but this is not a good experience so far.

Super Mario All*Stars plays approximately like the original, not exactly. I have no way of knowing exactly how many points to take off of your score, so there is no way to accurately know what your score would have been had you played the NES version. SMB gives 50 points per extra second at the end of each level. Assuming that it doesn't do so at the end of 8-4, that's still 7 levels of extra end-of-level points. Those levels are usually quickly beaten, so let's just say for the sake of argument that you ended each level with an extra 150 seconds. At 50 points per level multiplied by 7 levels, that's over 50,000 points. That puts your score down around 848,000. Using starcry's math puts you down around 819,000. So you are somewhere between second and third place, and not "still on top, wink wink" as you claim.

MOST IMPORTANTLY I mentioned in the first post in this thread that it could be hard to find a working SMB ROM online, and that if you didn't have one, that I would take care of you. If your SMB ROM on your XBox wasn't working, you should have PMed be so that I could give you a good one, instead of just assuming that you could play a remake of the game on the SNES and that it would just be all good. When in doubt, ask. On top of that, you have a NES and the game but just didn't feel like hooking it up. Therefore you had two legitimate options for playing the game, but chose neither.

Sorry that this was not a good experience for you. Running it is supposed to be fun for me too, but it isn't when people don't follow the very basic rules, and then want to blame me instead of considering the possibility that they might have done something wrong.

Chris

Edited by Jibbajaba
  • Like 5

You were a total asshole in the way you handled this. You make no mention of mario all stars in the rules, or else I wouldnt have wasted my fucking time. your mistake. not mine.

all stars DOES play EXACTLY like the original. there are no fuckin differences except for the stupid tiny scoring differences and the graphics. The control and play mechanics are the exact same. ive played this game thousands of times since the 80's and i see or feel no difference in the control, play mechanics or anything else (besides the obvious) between the nes and all star version.

I managed to score 850k in the orginal back in 2007. That was with me not even knowing about the 6 fireworks trick at the end of every level.. http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/106365-nes-high-score-club-2nd-season-week-%239-super-mario-bros/page__view__findpost__p__1289639

The score I submitted for mario all stars, i hadnt played mario bros in months probably over a year and got almost 900k and didnt use any continues. all on my first try. so i could easily improve on that score. but obviously this league isnt worth my time.

you know, i run the Jag HSC and I have never treated anyone in such a manner.

thanks for flaking on that deal awhile back as well... ;) I never flake.

I'm sorry that you are having a hard time understanding that this is the NES HSC and not the SNES HSC. I am sorry that I did not explicitly state that you can't play games from other systems in lieu of the assigned game. Perhaps for this weeks game, I need to instruct everyone to play Gradius on the NES, and not on MAME, a C64, an MSX, a PC engine, a DS, a PSP, or any other platform on which the game has been ported or remade. As previously stated, I would have been happy to supply you with a working SMB ROM or you could have hooked up your NES. You wasted your own time by not first asking of it was OK to play a port, no a remake, of the game on a different system. Then when it was pointed out to you that the SNES version scores the game slightly differently, you wanted me to simply subtract a few thousand points from your score and still declare you the winner. Your caustic approach aside, that was never going to happen.

I am also sorry that you felt the need to bring up the fact that I decided not to purchase something from you awhile back. It of course has nothing to do with the matter, but if bringing it up helps you to feel that you have put me in my place, then it has served its purpose.

Once again, you have demonstrated your inability to consider the possibility that you might have done something wrong or made a poor decision, and want to place the blame solely on me. Because of this, you, and by extension your argument, have no credibility whatsoever. It's funny, because throughout the day I was reflecting on the manner in which I had handled the situation and wondered if I hadn't been a bit too rash, but you marched in here right on cue and assured me that I had done the right thing.

Chris

Edited by Jibbajaba
  • Like 4

The first round of Season 5 officially came to a close last night! After a hard fought battle between atari2600land and starcry, the latter has emerged victorious! The current standings of the NES high score league are as follows:

starcry 110

atari2600land 102

Jibbajaba 88

arjak 75

darthkur 68

doubleminor 51

roadrunner 49

4Ks 26

Starcry, please PMme your mailing address so that I can send you your prize!

Good luck with the week 2 game, Gradius!

I am locking this thread to bring the "conversation" with kevincal to a close, but in the future I will, as vdub_bobby did, leave the threads open so that people can post additional comments as they wish.

Chris

Edited by Jibbajaba
  • Like 1

• 6 years later...