IGNORED

X-Arcade Adapter for 2600 / 7800

voiddweller

lol, I was just at the X-arcade website two seconds before I looked here. I'm helping my friend setup his home for arcade emulation, he saw Mame on my computer and flipped (five years too late but at least he got it :) )

They have kits for macs, xbox, gamecube, etc. so I'm sure those talented guys over there can do it but there's probably a limited market, maybe send the X-arcade guys an email? They seem to be into helping out classic gaming from the interviews I've read. Worst they can say is to just hook it up to MESS and play the Atari.

lol, I was just at the X-arcade ...

What a coincidence :)

It's a good product. I was looking at the adapters they already created and stumbled accross the idea for the 8 bit systems. The company appears situated to stay in the controller business for the long term. I was thinking about sending them an E-mail, but wanted to get this message posted to see how hard it would be to create a simple adapter. I'm sending them and Email right now.

Is anyone interested in this idea?

If so, let's start seeing some replies!

If not, I still want to create that adapter :)

I definetely would be interested in an adapter, what's the going rate for theirs? I think its $30-50 just for the adapter based on what system you need it for.

I'm a HotRod SE man myself, so unfortunately I would have to wait to see how good an Atari adapter is before totally committing to a X-arcade + adapter. But I'm usually doing crazy stuff like that anyways :)

I definetely would be interested in an adapter...

Excellent!

Keep the comments comming!

I just did a very bad thing :P and cross-posted in the 2600 and 7800 forums to see the interest of the Community.

If there are enough paying customers, the X-Arcade people might be interested in shifting some resources to develop the adapter.

Thanks!

- VD

its button layout is much better suited to games of the 2600s time too.

http://british.nerp.net/experimental/80s/o...mags/sansei.jpg

found at a local flea market for $3

The only difference between the one I own and the one pictured, is that

it does not have a fifth button up by the stick, and the fire button is the same standard arcade style button as all the rest (not different, as in the picture,) Since the pic is b/w I will elaborate: The until is matte black metal, with 2600 color orange pin striping, and fake wood finish particle board blocks on the side. Coordinates VERY nicely with the original 2600s (especially the big sexy,)

I received a response from the company regarding the 9 pin adapter for the Atari consoles. Here it is:

Sorry.

We don't have enough customers for that yet.

Shawn R. Walters

President

|

XGAMING, INC

23332 Mill Creek Drive

Suite 230

Laguna Hills, CA 92653

Think about all the different systems that could benefit from an adapter. This is an ARCADE QUALITY controller with a LIFETIME WARRANTY for $150. Sure, it may seem a little high, but not when you consider the materials and time invested. Plus, it can be repaired or modified with off-the-shelf parts. This ensures it's longevity, even if the company goes belly up.

Ok, i'm done :P

- VD

I've been working on an adapter to allow Playstation controllers to be used with Atari 2600 & 7800 systems. It looks like if I can get it working, it could sit between the X-Arcade and an Atari system. Unfortunately, I haven't had much of a chance to work on the adapter for almost 4 months. I'm not sure I'll get much of a chance before the summer to do much with it. But when I get it working, I'll make a post or two.

That's wonderful!  Would you mind sharing any of the details?  I'm just starting to learn about electronics and would love to see how far you have progressed.

Thanks!

- VD

I don't mind sharing the details. The core of the adapter is a PIC16F877 microcontroller that presently runs at 4MHz (under 1 MIPS). Most functionallity is implemented in software, which makes it flexible, but has resulted in some complex code -- I'll probably spend a few days figuring out what exactly I did before making more progress. Also, I plan to make the code availible under the GPL and already have several libraries on my web site. See: http://home.hiwaay.net/~jeffj1/projects/index.html

I'm planning on these features:

Playstation digital, Dual Shock, and Dual Shock 2 controller support (works)

Custom controller configurations (1st attempt at interpreter nearly done; UI has not been started)

20x4 alpha numeric LCD for menus (LCD library works; LCD menuing library works)

Emulation for 2600 joystick, 7800 joystick, booster grip, paddles, keypad (right port only), and NES pad (for NES only)

Outputs for Atari console mounted controls, like select & reset

Support for providing input for both controller ports through a single Playstation controller.

Bootloader to easily update the software on the PIC16F877 (works)