IGNORED

Beginners guide to Visual bB (Video)

Daniel Davis

Hello & thanks again. I don't know if this is worth mentioning or not, personally I think it might be, considering I am pretty sure it's what gave me all of the default.bas.bin problems.

When I initially followed your step by step instructions, I was still getting the same problem. It's solved now & I believe the problem stemmed from the [settings] tab/option. When I deleted my old VbB folders, made new ones (I did everything EXACTLY as you wrote, even using the same folder/project names, locations, etc), ran the Configuration Wizard & restarted VbB, the problem was still happening. After some initial frustration (followed by some deep breathing exercises & "counting to 10"), I just happened to notice that under [settings], the "bB Compiler" & "ALT Batch File" paths were still pointing to their previous locations. I had just assumed (wrongly) that setting the paths in the the Configuration Wizard would take care of this. After making the proper path adjustments, everything worked perfectly. I know it's a syilly beginners/newbie mistake, but that's probably what many (or @ least some) new VbB users (myself included) are.

Anyway, under Step #3 or #4 (your choice), you may (or may not) want to make a note of this. IMO, if you did, it would cover pretty much any/every problem that would/could arise during VbB setup/installation & make for a perfect "VbB Setup Tutorial". I apologize if my suggestion/tip seems out of line or anything. Thanks again.

Gerry

• Like 1

After some initial frustration (followed by some deep breathing exercises & "counting to 10"), I just happened to notice that under [settings], the "bB Compiler" & "ALT Batch File" paths were still pointing to their previous locations. I had just assumed (wrongly) that setting the paths in the the Configuration Wizard would take care of this. After making the proper path adjustments, everything worked perfectly. I know it's a silly beginners/newbie mistake, but that's probably what many (or @ least some) new VbB users (myself included) are. Anyway, under Step #3 or #4 (your choice), you may (or may not) want to make a note of this. IMO, if you did, it would cover pretty much any/every problem that would/could arise during VbB setup/installation & make for a perfect "VbB Setup Tutorial".

Thanks. This is the kind of info I need. I'll edit it later today.

Edited by Random Terrain

...ran the Configuration Wizard & restarted VbB, the problem was still happening. After some initial frustration (followed by some deep breathing exercises & "counting to 10"), I just happened to notice that under [settings], the "bB Compiler" & "ALT Batch File" paths were still pointing to their previous locations.

The compiler path should have changed. It works that way on my machine. The configuration wizard isn't aware of the alternative batch file setting though so that would have been unchanged. I can look into modifying that in the future.

Thanks,

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

I think a good idea is if someone made a 4 or 5 part tutorial on programming a decent game from start to finish. With actual code and explanations.

Yeah, I agree. It would be absolutely brilliant for somebody new to this like me. It's a shame Daniel didn't make any more videos. I just finished working through his video today and found it really helpful.