IGNORED

2600 paddle still jittery after cleaning

tz101

I have eliminated jitters in many paddle controllers by decrimping the pot housing, taking the stem out, and cleaning all contacts with alcohol.

However, I have a particularly stubborn one that still jitters, albeit not as bad, even after I have taken it apart no less than four separate times to re-clean the contacts. It makes me wonder if maybe something is wrong with the wire harness or plug, but I cannot figure how that could be the case because the paddle for player 2 works fine on this set.

Anyone with any ideas?

While cleaning the things often works, it's possible for the pot to simply wear out, especially if something conductive, liquid or metal shavings, ended up inside of it. Replaceing the pot is possible, however, and radiosack and such should have them. Just make sure it matches the 5vDC specs and it should work.

While cleaning the things often works, it's possible for the pot to simply wear out, especially if something conductive, liquid or metal shavings, ended up inside of it. Replaceing the pot is possible, however, and radiosack and such should have them. Just make sure it matches the 5vDC specs and it should work.

Thanks for the response, but I have looked the innards of this pot over with a magnifying glass and there are no shavings or liquid that I can see. I have thoroughly cleaned this pot's inside contents, along with polishing the metal contacts on the stem's disc with fine grit sandpaper. And so no sandpaper residue is left, I have gone over the contacts and carbon patches with alcohol after polishing.

Cleaning it with sandpaper multiple times could wear down the carbon layer and make it uneven. This would make the paddle somewhat jittery, as one five degree turn wouldn't match the resistance increase of the last 5 degree turn.

I'm not saying this is the case, only suggesting the possibility.

Personally, I'm with Video on this one. Replacing the pot is likely going to fix the problem.