IGNORED

TI-99/4a Data Transfer Using Serial Cable

Tempest

How easy is it to transfer files from a PC to a TI using a serial cable? I thought this might be easier than installing a 3.5" drive. I found these instructions, are they still accurate? http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?15444-TI-99-4A-file-transfer-what-s-needed

It's a little bit of work but it doesn't seem too hard.

Tempest

Unless you have a specific desire to use the PEB, the simplest method is the CF7 - this great little device plugs into your console, provides 32K of CPU RAM, a CF card reader that emulates all three disk drives, and a parallel port.

You just copy your PC99 or TIDisk images onto the CF card on the PC, plug the card into the CF7 and away you go.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2004226165601?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=200422616560&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

The hardest part for me is to lug around the whole system, PEB & television to get it next to a computer. That is, UNLESS I have a laptop with serial port laying around. Hmmm...

I will once I get my mother in-laws old laptop (we got her a new one for Christmas). My current computer doesn't have any, but the laptop is over four years old so it must.

Tempest

No no no.... You don't need a serial port on your laptop. Check out YouTube.... I posted a series of videos on serial XModem transfers betweel pc and TI. You can use a USB port---as I show in my video. Good luck!!! Serial transfer is one of my favorite things to do--- how cool is it to make a 30 year old

computer "talk" to a Dell? :)

• 4 months later...

I had it done easy with a serial cable from the TI's port (in my Peripheral Expansion Box) to the old laptop. Correct terminal emulator programs running on both ends and saving to the laptop's 3.5; then from the 3.5 on my old PC to the folder on the hard drive the the "Classic99" emulator was using. It was easy and very cool to "back up" some 1980's games that would have been lost forever.