IGNORED

Faster Development

Primordial Ooze

Is there any faster way to develop for the TI-99/4A using Extended BASIC besides coding it in a text editor and pasting the code every time i make an edit and waiting for the entire code to finish being pasting every time? I'm getting tired of having to wait a minute every time i add a line or two to my code to see if it work in Classic99. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Cell Wall Rebound

Is there any faster way to develop for the TI-99/4A using Extended BASIC besides coding it in a text editor and pasting the code every time i make an edit and waiting for the entire code to finish being pasting every time? I'm getting tired of having to wait a minute every time i add a line or two to my code to see if it work in Classic99. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Cell Wall Rebound

Why not just edit "on the fly" in Extended BASIC itself, with the emulator running? For small edits, that seems to make the most sense.

I remember that happening when I would edit a single line on the original machine, when the program started getting really large. "EDIT 2330" Wait almost a minute. Make the change and press enter. Wait almost a minute. "RUN" Wait over a minute. ^_^

Why not just edit "on the fly" in Extended BASIC itself, with the emulator running? For small edits, that seems to make the most sense.

Also, if you're only editing one line, and not making changes to any of the other lines of the program (or the sequence), just copy/paste the line that changed. It's a lot faster that way.

I remember that happening when I would edit a single line on the original machine, when the program started getting really large. "EDIT 2330" Wait almost a minute. Make the change and press enter. Wait almost a minute. "RUN" Wait over a minute. ^_^

I don't remember it taking quite so long in XB, but in TI BASIC, most definitely. I haven't hit the 'almost out of memory' point in my game yet, though, so I could just be blocking out the painful memories...

Sincerely,

Cell Wall Rebound

Just type it into Classic99 directly. I don't understand why you would use a text editor and paste it in. The TI's editor, while quite simple, is quite fine for editing XB programs ;)

Save your program to disk regularly, and do a NEW and re-load it. This will aid performance a little, as memory fragments due to constant editing...

I usually add or change a few lines of code in my text editor. Then I copy and paste exactly these changed lines only to Classic99. Again it would be nice if Classic99 had CTRL+V or another shortcut for pasting.

When the paste (and running of the program) takes too long, I go to Classic99’s Options, then CPU Throttling and choose CPU Overdrive. Works like a charm for me.

It’s important not to mess up line numbers and changes.

To be a bit more advanced I have the editor version in DSK1 as mygame.txt. Also I save from XB using SAVE DSK1.MYGAME. I’ve got 2 files now, namely MYGAME.TXT and MYGAME. This way I can leave the development and return to it using OLD DSK1.MYGAME.

Also sometimes I want my messy line numbers to look good again. Use the Basic command RES to (quickly) reorder the lines nicely. Now SAVE the program. I then go and use the utility TI99Dir: http://members.ziggo.nl/fgkaal/Software/sw_ti99dir.html#tidir

With TI99Dir I go and select the MYGAME file and choose View file (F3). I copy the output and paste into the editor (MYGAME.TXT). You can say that the 2 files are now synchronized.

Classic99 and TI99Dir can coexist and read and write the same files. Anyway, remember to make some generation backup of the files like making MYGAME0023 and MYGAME0023.TXT etc. along the way.

The above works with MESS too, though there are a few drawbacks. You have to unmount or close MESS for TI99Dir to read a disk (and hence the file). And with greater programs and more than one program line to paste, you have to add spaces in front of the lines (MESS does not wait for XB to process a line before continuing pasting).

:)