IGNORED

Which early games are still worth playing?

Cybergoth

PS3 Classics worth playing  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Please select all games you can still recommend

• Oblivion GOTY
    • Fallout 3 GOTY
    • Resistance 1
    • Resistance 2
    • Uncharted
    • Heavenly Sword
    • Dead Space
    • Valkyria Chronicles
    • Metal Gear Solid 4
    • Grand Theft Auto IV
    • Bioshock
    • Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hi there!

I'm still working on my PS3 shopping list, so this is what I've come up with so far for the early years. Please select all of them you can still recommend today :)

If I forgot something essential in my list that is not a sports, racing or beat'em up game, please let me know :D

(Ninja Gaiden Sigma is out of print in Germany already... :sad: - might consider a used copy...)

Well if you made your list based on games you have interest in then I'll easily say the ones I have from your list are all fantastic

Oblivion GOTY (if your in Germany the Deutche version is the best version)

Fallout 3

Uncharted

Dead Space (this game scares the crap out of me)

MGS4 is good if you have played the first 3 if you haven't the story might seem pointless

GTAIV same old same old with a few new things like a cell phone different control scheme and the graphics look less like a cartoon

Well if you made your list based on games you have interest in then I'll easily say the ones I have from your list are all fantastic

Agreed, If you have limited funds and can only afford a few games off that list, you could flips coins or draw straws and whatever games you wound up with would be GREAT!

Agreed, If you have limited funds and can only afford a few games off that list, you could flips coins or draw straws and whatever games you wound up with would be GREAT!

Limited funds are one thing, but I'm also not interested in stuff like overhyped launch titles. I'm more interested in getting a solid library of titles that really stand the test of time, trying to compile a shopping list that covers the essentials matching my gaming taste.

I'm into Action games, single player Egoshooters, RPGs and Adventures, usually stuff with great stories and movielike atmosphere. (In theory also turn based strategy, but I didn't see any PS3 classics fall into that cat so far :sad:)

I already skipped a few titles from these genres for various reasons. E.g. I'm not much interested in wargames or multiplayer mayhem. I fear some Ubisoft titles like the first Assasins Creed or Prince of Persia are way overrated (Is it just me? :ponder:). I think Mirrors Edge will instantly trigger my motion sickness. I think Folklore and Eternal Sonata are probably good, but no must haves. And so on...

Basically I ended with the list above. Thanks for confirming that it's looking good. My major concerns are currently with the Resistance games, since they could be considered wargames and probably offer a lot more for the multiplayer than for the solo player. With Oblivion I'm not sure if I should just play it on the PC and I was suspecting Heavenly Sword was probably getting an extra dose of launch hype. Still, based on earlier conversations here I'm assuming it's an excellent Ninja Gaiden surrogate :)

usually stuff with great stories and movielike atmosphere

U really have to buy uncharted then. Doesn't come any closer.

Resistance is also great as single player game. I'm not into alien shooters, but i played and finished this game because i wanted to know how the story evolves.

PS3 owner since day one. Still got the 60 gig chillin under the dust. Great Games?

Let's start with going on line and downloading some of the classic 2-D games, then pick up the following:

Valkryia Chronicles if you got time for lots of story

Uncharted 1 if you like shooters with a nice story and some shooting along with a couple puzzles Great graphics

GTA IV just for the kicks and giggles

Disgaea 3 if you are into grinding levels...Challenge is to get the puppy paw stick in less than 100 hours

Ratchet was alright, but its still high in price and gets old no online

Metal gear solid 4 if you can stand not shooting the game has some skill level to it

There are some more, but I wouldn't know, I'm still playin ps2 games on my ps3 before they make them all downloadable.

Speaking for myself....

Uncharted, Valkyria Chronicles, Fallout, and Oblivion are must haves. All are top quality productions with fantastic stories, graphic's, control, and music.

Metal Gear... is very good, but if you don't like looooooooong and frequent cut scenes, you might want to rent.

Ratchet & Clank.... great platforming fun, fun, fun

Resistance I & II... had a blast playing both games and both are top quality. But I only played solo mode as I'm frag fodder online in most games of this type.

You can expand the gameplay and enjoyment hours of Valkyria, Fallout, and Obilivion with some excellent DLC for each.

Other early PS3 releases I would suggest are Civilization, Godfather (enjoyed it much more than GTA), and Folklore (sort of an RPG but maybe not a true RPG)

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

I already skipped a few titles from these genres for various reasons. E.g. I'm not much interested in wargames or multiplayer mayhem. I fear some Ubisoft titles like the first Assasins Creed or Prince of Persia are way overrated (Is it just me? :ponder:).

Assassin's Creed is a great looking title and the gameplay CAN be fun, but I found it very repetitive if played too much, still if it's under $10-15 I'd recommend it. The story wasn't what I expected and the ending was interesting the combat took a little getting used to but can be mastered and broken with a sharp eye.

Disgaea 3 if you are into grinding levels...Challenge is to get the puppy paw stick in less than 100 hours

That sounds exactly like my cup of tea, but unfortunately it never got released over here :sad:

Resistance I & II... had a blast playing both games and both are top quality. But I only played solo mode as I'm frag fodder online in most games of this type.

Thanks for confirming that they're worth a look. I'm a bit puzzled that the first got more votes, so they probably didn't manage to improve the sequel much?

Other early PS3 releases I would suggest are Civilization, Godfather (enjoyed it much more than GTA), and Folklore (sort of an RPG but maybe not a true RPG)

I tried a couple versions of Civ on the computer. It's usually fun when you start a game and turns into work towards the end, with way too much micro management. Is Revolution any better in that regard? ;)