IGNORED

Are there any good books or websites

chriswhit

I feel like I'm cheating myself doing all kinds of mods with limited knowledge. Each mod I have done has taught me a bunch about electronics but you can only learn so much that way. I want to learn more about integrated circuits and what they do. I would also like to read up on transistors and many other electronic components. What books or websites would you recommend. I would like to just better understand what I'm doing instead of winging it. I have no understanding of eproms and when I use my burner I don't know what I'm really doing but have managed to burn a few dev chips and a few 2600 games that all work and its a wellem so the fact I even got it to work is amazing in it self. A good post will earn a reputation point. Thanks

Take the class as mentioned above, and also for a real quick but good lead in, get the classic book by Forrest Mims:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3137551/Radio-Shack-Basic-Electronics

http://www.dapj.net/hobby/?p=454

I believe this is still available at Radio Shack. My copy is the '80s version, but the online one should serve you well.

• Like 1

How about finding a part time course or an evening class? You'll probably get to grips with scopes and the like too. Using test equipment that is more advanced than a multimeter makes life so much easier when you are debugging circuits.

I will have to look into what is available in my area. This is kind of a backward small town so I'm not sure whats available here. I wonder about those through the mail ICS courses. I'd still like to find a few books though. Just to give you an Idea how backward it is here in radio shack there electronics parts are in those mini drawers and takes up about 2'x4' of floor space and if you want an integrated circuit your out of luck they don't even know what they are. I asked about eproms to build my 7800 dev and they just said good luck finding it in Maine try the internet. I like the country but most of the time if I need electronics parts I have to go used or wait for it to come in the mail. It bugs me enough to order in bulk if its commonly used in atari mods.

How about finding a part time course or an evening class? You'll probably get to grips with scopes and the like too. Using test equipment that is more advanced than a multimeter makes life so much easier when you are debugging circuits.

I will have to look into what is available in my area. This is kind of a backward small town so I'm not sure whats available here. I wonder about those through the mail ICS courses. I'd still like to find a few books though. Just to give you an Idea how backward it is here in radio shack there electronics parts are in those mini drawers and takes up about 2'x4' of floor space and if you want an integrated circuit your out of luck they don't even know what they are. I asked about eproms to build my 7800 dev and they just said good luck finding it in Maine try the internet. I like the country but most of the time if I need electronics parts I have to go used or wait for it to come in the mail. It bugs me enough to order in bulk if its commonly used in atari mods.

I think electronics tinkering is dead in mainstream heart of America. The internets have killed electronics in local Radio Shacks and hobby shops.

• Like 1

Take the class as mentioned above, and also for a real quick but good lead in, get the classic book by Forrest Mims:

http://www.scribd.co...sic-Electronics

I believe this is still available at Radio Shack. My copy is the '80s version, but the online one should serve you well.

Thanks for the links just took a look at the first one. Awesome

http://www.scribd.co...sic-Electronics

Thanks for the links just took a look at the first one. Awesome

I'm mostly recommending the one in the first link. It's the only one I have and have read, but the book is a classic in electronics, so I'm sure anything else he's written is worth reading too. When you're trying to learn electronics, you'll have a ton of questions about what a resistor etc is, and different calculations, etc. Read that first book, and you'll have a good grasp on all of that, then you'll be able to understand other more advanced books. Most importantly, have fun! :)

I think electronics died out as a hobby somewhat before the internet became popular and commercialized.

Yes, but electronics were available in Radio Shacks for quite awhile after that... but availability of this stuff on the internet has killed off most of what was available at brick & mortar retail (with few exceptions). That's why I made my two points in two separate sentences.

I think electronics died out as a hobby somewhat before the internet became popular and commercialized.

whut? If anything electronics as a Hobby has boomed due to the easy access to parts (via Digikey and mouser). Also add in all the schematics and the like....

...and cool cats like you sharing information. Long overdue rep point for you, sir!

hardly anybody knows what a transistor is, or beta, or stuff like that! Yesterday we knew how electrons moved around. Today we know how to make flashing lights through plcs. Wiring up usb fans and modding pc's is *not* an electronics hobby project! cranking up your CB radio, now that's electronics!! Big-ass tubes and power transistors, yeh babycakes!!

I remember the days of digi-key and mooser having minimum orders! bwaahahahaaa!! they had to change their ways real fast! no more high horse attitude!

I feel like I'm cheating myself doing all kinds of mods with limited knowledge. Each mod I have done has taught me a bunch about electronics but you can only learn so much that way. I want to learn more about integrated circuits and what they do. I would also like to read up on transistors and many other electronic components. What books or websites would you recommend. I would like to just better understand what I'm doing instead of winging it. I have no understanding of eproms and when I use my burner I don't know what I'm really doing but have managed to burn a few dev chips and a few 2600 games that all work and its a wellem so the fact I even got it to work is amazing in it self. A good post will earn a reputation point. Thanks

With magazines like www.makezine.com etc electronics is on the rise again as a hobby. also check out wwww.parallax.com for more interesting things including the propellor microcontroller. For the best book I have yet seen to teach you electronics check out this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0596153740?ie=UTF8&tag=atariage&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0596153740

• Like 1

Yeah, I beg to differ on the hobby dying out.

It's easy to order things online, and there are lots of forums where people are doing electronics. I've picked up the hobby again through Parallax. The group there in their forum is really great, though focused on micro-controllers, not so much discrete circuits.

This year I've been tooling up to build things. For wire, I got some multi-colored ribbon cable. Life time supply = $20. Solder station, tools, scope, etc... all obtained second hand.

The local Goodwill, where they sell by the pound is a ready source of parts and all sorts of other things.

I would visit a few electronics forums, and ask around for clubs and members near you. Love the Forrest Mims book style myself. Recommended.

Parallax has labs you can buy and work through online, others do as well. IMHO, that's a great way to learn as there are forums where others are doing it. That gets you some stuff to read, and a place to ask questions.

Also IMHO, electronics and retro / classic computing are a great mix! Headed that way myself.

• Like 1

I think it just stinks that If you need just one common and simple part to finish a project there's no option to make a quick trip to get it. Instead I'm ordering and waiting a week. I'm hording parts commonly used for Atari mods and fixes even if I think I may never need them and I always buy at least ten times what I actually need. In the case of obsolete parts if I find them when looking I tend to buy every piece the company has if I can afford it so that at a later date I'm not out of luck. Sometimes its pricey but it comes in handy when I find out about a new mod and I happen to have everything I need.

I think it just stinks that If you need just one common and simple part to finish a project there's no option to make a quick trip to get it. Instead I'm ordering and waiting a week..

You have to plan out your projects! It is most certainly *NOT* doable to have 20 radioshacks in Chicago, for example, to have a ready supply of 74LSxx parts. These things would sit on the shelf for years!

But, back in the 70's, you could go to McDonalds and get a burger, then go across the street to get a 680Kohm eighth-watt resistor and a 74LS04 for a buck or two.

Today you cannot do that anymore! The average (dumbed down) american citizen could care less about this!!

I think it just stinks that If you need just one common and simple part to finish a project there's no option to make a quick trip to get it. Instead I'm ordering and waiting a week. I'm hording parts commonly used for Atari mods and fixes even if I think I may never need them and I always buy at least ten times what I actually need. In the case of obsolete parts if I find them when looking I tend to buy every piece the company has if I can afford it so that at a later date I'm not out of luck. Sometimes its pricey but it comes in handy when I find out about a new mod and I happen to have everything I need.

If I order from Mouser before 3pm I get it the next day. They are in Texas so I am kinda cheating :D

There are also grab bag kinds of things, where you get a lot of stuff for cheap. An afternoon spent picking out the goodies can yield some nice components for very little cash.

Around here, we've a few electronics surplus stores. Those things are fantastic, where it's totally possible to just walk in, grab a few things, pay a coupla bucks, and be on your way.

Do some digging around. There might be more available than you think.

I too order on line, and it's no big deal to just pick off the goodies, include a few spares, and then wait for the package.

What I (not speaking for anyone else) meant by electronics being dead as a hobby -- and my perception could be totally wrong -- but it seems like in the '60s (granted, I wasn't alive) and the '70s and '80s, lots of kids got the Radio Shack electronics kits to learn on... along with chemistry sets. The average person seemed to have a more tinkering spirit. Now, do kids get electronics kits or have any interest in them? I mean, some do, sure, but as many as back in the "old days"?

Perhaps I mis-spoke... maybe electronics is more popular than I thought. My perception was that it was certainly on the rise... but wouldn't it have to have been on the decline for awhile to now be on the rise? I have a hard time thinking that it's always been as popular or more popular than it was in the '60s and '70s. Again, maybe I'm wrong. I have no numbers to go by.

No matter, either way. I'm interested and obviously a lot of people are, that's all that matters. I love all the websites, and to me, that's a lot more convenient than going to a Radio Shack or HeathKit store, once you set aside nostalgic notion of it.

And on that note... does anyone here have experience with this new RS electronics kit? Is there a better beginning one? I see it gets good reviews, but I'm wondering what any of you think, or of any better non-RS alternatives:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3814337

What I (not speaking for anyone else) meant by electronics being dead as a hobby -- and my perception could be totally wrong -- but it seems like in the '60s (granted, I wasn't alive) and the '70s and '80s, lots of kids got the Radio Shack electronics kits to learn on... along with chemistry sets. The average person seemed to have a more tinkering spirit. Now, do kids get electronics kits or have any interest in them? I mean, some do, sure, but as many as back in the "old days"?

Perhaps I mis-spoke... maybe electronics is more popular than I thought. My perception was that it was certainly on the rise... but wouldn't it have to have been on the decline for awhile to now be on the rise? I have a hard time thinking that it's always been as popular or more popular than it was in the '60s and '70s. Again, maybe I'm wrong. I have no numbers to go by.

No matter, either way. I'm interested and obviously a lot of people are, that's all that matters. I love all the websites, and to me, that's a lot more convenient than going to a Radio Shack or HeathKit store, once you set aside nostalgic notion of it.

And on that note... does anyone here have experience with this new RS electronics kit? Is there a better beginning one? I see it gets good reviews, but I'm wondering what any of you think, or of any better non-RS alternatives:

http://www.radioshac...oductId=3814337

I think this is what you mean? This one is about 25yrs old got this as a child. I think I was 10. I have all the wires to but those you all know what they look like. The one in your link is nicer though.

post-24571-126463654823_thumb.jpg

post-24571-126463658508_thumb.jpg

Yeah, the new ones are pretty nice... with the breadboard and all. The one you posted is similar to one I used to have, but mine wasn't even that complex. I have the Radio Shack Microcomputer Trainer one from the '80s which is really slick as well. Got it at a garage sale about a year ago.

I agree, the new ones are slicker'n'shit! You should see some of the early ones I got from the 70's and 60's..what beasts! The new ones with the breadboard are more 'expandable' with parts you 'add-in' from other sources. I suggest a good scope and quality dmm to add to your electronics test bench.

Here's a review for that Radio Shack electronics kit. I think I may pick this up. Looks really good. Maybe the OP will be interested in this as well:

http://www.zeroidz.com/Digital_Electronics_Lab.html

I ordered one a couple years back as a refresher. It has some of the same Forest Mimms projects that I did as a kid. I think the main difference is that it uses a breadboard now instead of having the resistors and capacitors installed on the kit itself. The two Mimms books it comes with are worth it.