IGNORED

So... how's everyone's contest entries going?

InfernalKeith

It's quiet around here... TOO quiet. :)

I just found out I'm going out of town unexpectedly this weekend, so for me, it's all coming down to tonight and tomorrow. I have more "real world" work to do this evening, but then I plan to put on a pot of coffee and pull an all-nighter, or close to it, to get the game as close to finished as I can. My wife is taking the kids to school/daycare tomorrow so I can either keep on working, or catch some sleep and then get up and get back at it.

For all intents, I'll have to be done with my contest-ready version of Herding Cats by tomorrow evening. I'm thinking the in-game help function may not be activated at all, but the game WILL be playable all the way through.

Everyone else getting down to the wire? Anyone bailing out?

Keith

Making solid progress man. I'll be done by then... I will be finishing the scoring and level engines tonight... I am working on creating alternate color schemes to change randomly from level to level using CALL PEEK(-31880)--- very cool.... Anyway, I'll be updating my thread tonight as I finish some work... I had a breakthrough last night reading a Millers Graphics SPRITE book. Great sh**.

Making solid progress man. I'll be done by then... I will be finishing the scoring and level engines tonight... I am working on creating alternate color schemes to change randomly from level to level using CALL PEEK(-31880)--- very cool.... Anyway, I'll be updating my thread tonight as I finish some work... I had a breakthrough last night reading a Millers Graphics SPRITE book. Great sh**.

I'd like to think I was going to start coding again anyway, but I appreciate this contest so much for giving me the kick in the butt to get to work. I really feel like I've regained an enjoyable part of my life, one that's been missing for too long. So I already feel like I've won, no matter what. I've gone from "eh, I should start coding again someday" to having specific goals for finishing a few games, releasing physical versions of at least one of my games, and doing conversions to other computers. I even got my website up and running!

Off to work...

• 2 weeks later...

When your CRPG is finished, I certainly want a copy. Hard copy on diskette. :). You know, if you wanted to, you could put it on cartridge.... Jons cart board can handle 64k of code.... Last time I checked, a 64k game in pure assembly is a massive freaking game. :)

I could, but it would still require a full disk system; current planning is for 720k, or four 180k disks of data, one 180k play disk, and one 180k start disk.

I do have an 8k SuperSpace cartridge so I have some room if need be to finish the game up. I may hit the very edge of 32k, and it would be good to be able to trim after it's done, rather than in process. I don't expect to need more than another 8k at worst...

Adamantyr

I bet there will be a couple of sneak attacks. Nobody said you had to declare an entry. :). But I say if it's a 3 way race to the finish, it'll be a great one. I have learned alot during this process.... I forced myself to learn some assembly, I gained a love for Sometimes99er's tutorial and demo site, and I learned that I would much rather write a strategy or simulation game than an arcade game... :). Beryl Reichardt, here I come!!! :)

Good luck to all entrants, the games look smashing. If I had been thinking about it, I would have entered a roguelike game. Love those and unless I've missed something the TI is one of the few computers that never got one of its own. Ah well, maybe next compo! In the meantime, hope everyone makes it in under the wire, but if even if you don't, there will be some fab new homebrews for the TI.

I'd never heard the term "roguelike" till fairly recently, over on the Denial Vic-20 boards, but I'm definitely intrigued. I think the potential for a game like that, perhaps combined with elements of interactive fiction (text adventure), would be huge. And if you went really roguelike and did it all in text, you could bust out 40-column mode. :)

Focus, Keith... one thing at a time... :)

Herding Cats will definitely not be 100% complete by the deadline, but it will be playable and all the levels will be installed. Before I put it out as a final version, though, I definitely want to refine it a bit more.

With this snowstorm blowing in, I may have more TI time than I thought over the next couple days... as long as the power stays on. :/

Good point, I had nearly forgotten about 40 column mode. Does that mode support the full palette as well? Not that it's vital, some older roguelikes are monochrome (including one of my favorites, Larn), but the extra colors makes color-coding enemies a la ZAngband possible.

I'll have to look more into this, as I have written the skeleton of a roguelike engine in Java and am considering entering the 7 Day Roguelike competition later this month. I feel almost duty-bound to bring a roguelike to the TI now.

Edited by The Codex

Wow... I had never heard of this before.... Very interesting!!! :) Sounds like something the TI needs... Perhaps after the current contest ends, we could start a "roguelike" contest for the TI! Give 1 month for our small group of programmers to get used to the concept and build one. What could we give out as first prize? :). I'd be willing to put something up. ;)