IGNORED

What's the one Vectrex game you play the most?

save2600

Okay, so I just received a Mr. Bitman Vectrom multi-card with 32 games on it (thanks, but didn't need 2 Clean Sweep type games or any of the Light Pen software... lol) and am having a blast. So far, my favs are Armor Attack (always loved the arcade) and Pole Position believe it or not. What a cool racer for the system! Nice they used the analogue controller and the graphics/gameplay are excellent. There's also a couple of Dondzilla's titles, such as Patriots and Vector Vaders or something like that. Oh and the Asteroids Remix clone. Is Rockaroids supposed to be that screaming fast?!? lol Damn good game though. The Space Invaders clone plays too slow, until you get down to the last few vaders though. Spinball is excellent too. Am disappointed in the Star Trek game. Was expecting it to be like the arcade. :(

I'll be purchasing a Sega converted controller from John here soon and Vecmania too. I saw that there is a Space Frenzy/Fury? clone and an Omega Race clone (although he doesn't have that) too that I'd like. Two of my favs from back in the day. Nice to be playing the Vec again! My kind of system (shooters mostly).

Still no overlays yet - although I've seen the DIY stuff. If anyone has any in nice shape they'd be willing to sell...

Edited by save2600

I actually really do like Minestorm. I know it's "just" the built-in, but I think I'd play it the most, even if it weren't.

After that, right now, I'd say Protector. I svck at it, but I am loving that Defender (*c) action.

desiv

* Protector is not affiliated with Defender © in any way. Defender is a licensed trademark of Williams Electronics. Any resemblance to characters, fictional or alien, is purely coincidental. Please don't take while driving or operating heavy machinery. Backed by the FDIC. Contractors Board # 1337.

;)

Edited by desiv

Rip Off is my game...

I haven't really warmed up to the Vectrex and some of the games I have on that 72 in 1 Multicart aren't all that hot...

I'll get the bug for Vectrexians again which will give me the opportunity to revisit if the collision detection is as bad as I thought it was...

If you find out what that Space Fury clone is let me know...I thought it was supposed to be on my cart and I haven't found it yet.

I never had a Vectrex back in the day, although I certainly wanted one (at the time I had a ColecoVision and my parents wouldn't let me have more than one system). There have been a few recent Vectrex threads, including this one, that convinced me the time had finally come. I bought one today from someone else here at Atari Age, and a few hours later ordered the 72-game multicart. Even with all of the other systems I own and play, I'm ridiculously excited about getting a Vectrex. I can't wait to experience some real vector goodness instead of emulated on a computer screen :D

Maybe next month I'll find a source for the extra controllers and accessories, but I should probably wait for the console to show up first...

I like Scramble :love: :thumbsup: ......the levels seem really interesting and gets me to play it more cos I'm always curious what the next level's gonna look like. Plus certain parts in the levels are hard to figure out which makes it more fun.It's not only a shooter type game but also kinda like a puzzle game because you need to figure out how to get past certain obstacles before the screen crushes you.

My only complaint about it is that there are'nt any 'continues' :? . Once you die in a level you have to start all the way over from the beginning.

Before homebrew, I would have said Star Castle, but now, it's Protector/YASI all the way. It's a fantastic pair of games that complement each other well in spite of (or perhaps because of) their differences. I haven't played any homebrews more recent than that, though. There was a pretty neat demo that looked like a cross between Mortal Kombat and the little Italian cartoons they used to show on The Great Space Coaster, though. Not sure if that was ever completed, though!

Before homebrew, I would have said Star Castle, but now, it's Protector/YASI all the way. It's a fantastic pair of games that complement each other well in spite of (or perhaps because of) their differences. I haven't played any homebrews more recent than that, though. There was a pretty neat demo that looked like a cross between Mortal Kombat and the little Italian cartoons they used to show on The Great Space Coaster, though. Not sure if that was ever completed, though!

Sounds awesome! Reading your post also makes me think.....Why was'nt there ever a videogame based on The Great Space Coaster!?!? That would have been really cool.

Sounds awesome! Reading your post also makes me think.....Why was'nt there ever a videogame based on The Great Space Coaster!?!? That would have been really cool.

Great Space Coaster... lmao! I remember that show from when I'd be home sick from school. Fraggle Rock too... lol Hey, come to think of it, I have a Gary Gnu plush from my youth... No News is Good Gnu's! :lol:

Great Space Coaster... lmao! I remember that show from when I'd be home sick from school. Fraggle Rock too... lol Hey, come to think of it, I have a Gary Gnu plush from my youth... No News is Good Gnu's! :lol:

When I got my Vectrex for Xmas 1983, we played Minestorm until our fingers bled and our eyes burned! Not just me, but my brother, mom, and stepdad all played the thing! SOmetimes I'm surprised that my Vectrex still plays perfect everytime I turn it on. So, in order of "Amount of Time Played", my Top 5 would be:

1. Minestorm

2. Rip-Off

3. Armor Attack

4. Scramble

5. Star Castle

Star Castle is so low because I didn't get it until years later. I think it was the last game I purchased back in the day, before re-starting the Vec collection about 10 years ago.

There was a pretty neat demo that looked like a cross between Mortal Kombat and the little Italian cartoons they used to show on The Great Space Coaster, though. Not sure if that was ever completed, though!

I think you're talking about a homebrew karate game. Did it have paralax scrolling, or do you know? Yeah, I haven't heard anything about that one in a while now, it hasn't been completed yet (obviously).

• 2 weeks later...

If we are talking about single player games then StarCastle is my hands down favorite. This was the best port of a vector based arcade game ever! The Vectrex being a vector based console might have a little to do with it :D

The faithfulness to the original arcade game is almost spooky, they got it right down to the timing... if you played the stand up arcade StarCastle for an hour and got into a rhythm, then had the Vectrex StarCastle put in front of you, you wouldn't miss a beat. That goes a long way in making this decision for me. As we all know, most ports of any arcade game are usually close but lacking, this is not the case in this instance.

But if we are talking two player, head to head play, then it is another vector based port... Space Wars. The Vectrex version is spot on including the gravity well. In two player mode, the action, excitement and competition of this game can't be matched on the Vectrex. The only problem is that you almost get too into the game while trying to blow your friend's ship into space dust... and start yanking around the joystick on the controller. That kind of abuse can't be good for them :D

So that's my two cents on the subject, I hope I rationalized my answers well enough.

Edited by the-topdog

Star Castle is one that keeps coming up and I agree. Fantastic game. The one the-topdog mentions though: Space Wars, that is one of my all time favorite games. We had the original arcade growing up with the numeric keypad in the middle for game selection. Quite amazing 2-player action for sure. Some of these Asteroids like games though allow the joystick not to be used. Buttons 1 & 2 might turn you left and right while another thrusts and fires, etc. I'll have to see if that's the case on Space Wars. But back to the games, after a little time with the Vec again, my ONLY real complaint is the fact that it's a vertically oriented system. MOST of the arcade translations released for it were horizontal of course. This makes for a squished gaming experience that doesn't totally ruin, but coupled with the fact that most of the games have a 3/4" "border" of emptiness around them doesn't help matters :(

Edited by save2600

• 1 month later...