IGNORED

Season 5 Week 4 - R.C. Pro-Am (1988)

CGQuarterly

Welcome to week 4 of the 5th season of the Atari Age NES High Score League!

This season is only going to be 10 weeks long, and will feature one game released each year between 1985 and 1994.

Here are the standings after 3 weeks of play:

starcry	        295
darthkur	189
Jibbajaba	149
mihcael	        110
atari2600land	107
doubleminor	90
arjak	        75
roadrunner	65
LarcenTyler	32
4Ks	        26
Herbarius	20

Week 3's first prize winner was darthkur, and the second prize winner (chosen at random) was Herbarius! Congratulations, guys!

This week's game and the 1988 entry is going to be R.C. Pro-Am.

Title: R.C. Pro-Am

Developer: Rare Ltd.

Publisher: Nintendo

Released: February, 1988 (US)

Twin Galaxies High Score: 1,015,370 by Brandon Penney.

rcproam1.pngrcproam2.pngrcproam3.pngrcproam4.png

Did you know?

Did you know that R.C. Pro-Am was released, with updated 16-bit graphics, for the Sega Genesis as "Championship Pro-Am" in 1992?

Tips:

Obviously your first priority has to be winning the race (or at least placing in the top 3) but there are a lot of points to be earned by knocking out the other cars, either with missiles or with bombs.

Prize:

This week's prize will be a copy of R.C. Pro-Am for the NES. If you are having to play the game via emulation, here's your chance to own the cartridge!

Chris

-----------------------------------------------------------------

R.C. Pro-AM Rankings

Updated 02/11/10 @11:00PM PST

starcry	        147,470	   100%
Jibbajaba	106,859	   72%
phaxda	        97,409	   66%
ClassicGMR	81,711	   55%
roadrunner	32,411	   22%
darthkur	21,863	   15%

Edited by Jibbajaba

A fast but very important tip. Pay attention to your weakness when you race, If you are going off the turns alot, upgrade tires first, If you are doing well on the turns then choose engine. Try to keep things semi even, that seems to work best for me. Off to pratice!

138,250 Thats at level 17

I seemed to do worlds better when i stoped trying to shoot any cars unless I actually needed to, Though getting the flashing power up i did slow down to smash what was needed. I am going to keep doing runs this weekend to see how High I can get. This one has been the hardest for me big time. I dont think I will be able to beat that score. Its 4 levels higher than 90% of my runs.

Its crazy to think someone got over a million on this thing!

Good luck guys.

147470, Ok im done. I really hope I win this one, as i would LOVE to own a cart of this one, This is the first week Ive been stuck on an emulator! I cant play anymore of this one though. I will also be going back to work soon and wont have the time to pratice like mad so I expect my scores to start going down on the next game :|

Today's the last day, guys. I'm a little disappointed in this week's participation. Did you guys just not like the game this week? Should I run each round for 2 weeks instead of 1?

Input is appreciated.

Chris

Personally I just wasn't good at this game. I think I broke 10k once and that was it. I can throw a screenshot up if you need some names for the list.

Well, I'm not trying to just get warm bodies. If you don't enjoy the game then by all means, don't play it. I think that the whole point of a HSC though is to use the week to improve your score. You shouldn't get discouraged just because you don't think you can best the high score. But again, if you don't like the game then it's just going to be work instead of being fun.

I would say though that anyone who plays the game should go ahead and submit their score even if it isn't very high. You will get points no matter what, and I think that it will keep you more active in the club so that when we do have a game that you enjoy, you will be more motivated to play it. Speaking from personal experience, once you stop playing in an HSC you get out of the habit and sort of fall off the wagon.

Chris

Well I just tried this game for the first time in I think 12 years. I always enjoyed it but I was never very good. 22,612 :roll: is my best so far. I may play again later but that's the best I've got.

EDIT: I am done! Only 81,711 points but I can't play anymore. :)

rcproam.jpg

Edited by ClassicGMR

You will have down weeks bro. It happens. I think each week we should keep hosting a small prize. It will bring people. Also everyone needs to spread word of mouth. Also as he said, its about winning the league not the week I think that needs to be really pushed. you can bomb 4 weeks straight and then win the league! 2 weeks at a time is bad, the people that are playing will get bored.

I have a roommate whom is starting, and if each of us bring one friend it will grow alot.

Edited by starcry

Chris, We should go back to people that normally play and have played in the past and ask what happened. Also I think the key for that prize thing is random, not always to first place. It will encourage, will discouraging cheating since it wont help you. I have tons of ideas. I just feel pretty badly about it being extended. At least not in the middle of the week at worse, and with 2 weeks between games people who play the game, post, and then wait for the next week will drop out.

Also as the week closes put up the game for next week early and make sure there is at least some intrest in it before putting it forward!

Edited by starcry

I'll post the next game tomorrow, and I'll try to pick something more popular. And I had also thought about giving away the prizes randomly. I think I will sometimes do it randomly and sometimes give it to the winner. This week the prize (a copy of R.C. Pro-Am) goes to the winner. If I can find a prize for tomorrow's game, it will be randomly awarded.

Speaking of which, did darthkur and Herbarius get their stuff sent to them?

Chris

Aw crap, I forgot to post my score in time. This is on my list of top 20 games of all time. I love it. 97,409.

Two weeks might be cool. I often don't get as much time to play as I would like.

post-6271-126582130831_thumb.jpg

I still haven't posted the new game, so I'll take your score. I am tempted to make each round 2 weeks in length. starcry has a point about people getting bored, but I also think that some people don't get around to playing because they don't find the time within the week. I think I will try making the next round 2 weeks and see if it makes a difference.

And I will post the new game tonight. Until then, anyone who still wants to submit a score for R.C. Pro-Am is free to do so.

Chris

Speaking of which, did darthkur and Herbarius get their stuff sent to them?

Chris

I have not heard rom darth yet. As soon as i hear from him on which he wants and I stop getting hit by blizzards (im just south of dc)

I wish to donate mine to either the next score down the list or another randomly picked participant. Maybe that will garner a little more interest in the HSC.

Here are this week's final scores. Posting the game for week 5 right now.

R.C. Pro-AM Rankings

Updated 02/11/10 @11:00PM PST

starcry	        147,470	   100%   +10
Jibbajaba	106,859	   72%    +5
phaxda	        97,409	   66%
ClassicGMR	81,711	   55%
roadrunner	32,411	   22%
darthkur	21,863	   15%

Edited by Jibbajaba