IGNORED

Playstation Network not free?

RevEng

Additionally, if you delete one of the titles from your PS3, but decide you want to get it back, then you can re-download from the PlayStation Plus section of the PSN Store if the game is still there, or, if the game has expired from the PlayStation Plus section of the PSN Store, you can simply search for it on PS Store and download it again at no extra cost.

yeah, I believe that until they change their mind.

Like when they cleared our video download lists of purchased content and started charging for it again. "oops, you guys didn't read the fine print that we change once a month, sorry"

I have zero trust in sony--how could I?

really I can't wait for the system to get hacked for the simple reason that I'll know that I'll be able to use it to enjoy content that I've already purchased without worrying about sony taking it away from me again.

Edited by Reaperman

I can't wait for the system to get hacked for the simple reason that I'll know that I'll be able to use it to enjoy content that I've already purchased without worrying about sony taking it away from me again.

I completely agree with you. :thumbsup:

The "date bug" issue actually prevented fat PS3 owners from playing disc based games offline. I'm living proof of that issue a while back. :P

Totally unacceptable.

I'm getting Puzzlequest 2 today on Xboxlive and I'm happy. I've always felt at least Microsoft is up front and tells you exactly what's going on whether you like it or not.

One system only. You can xfer licenses once a year. Done.

There really isn't too much guess-work, vague headlines and fineprints involved and you don't feel like your going to get stabbed in the back a month or two later. It hasn't happened to me on the Xbox 360 (other than get red-ringed)

I haven't bought anything really from the PSN store since I had issues a few months back except for a few mini's. Even then I feel uneasy buying those as if they are holding a dagger behind there back as I'm paying them.

I wonder how long before Sony moves Netflix to a PSN Plus feature.

Mendon

I would hold my breath on that one...because I'm sure it wont be long! LOL

I'm not surprised or pissed though. When the PS3 launched and Sony announced online would be 100% free I stated then in posts Sony would eventually charge for it. Just too expensive to maintain a huge, fast, stable and reliable network that millions of people can use to play games and stream content. This PSN+ is just the start of the paid Sony network conditioning.

Once downloaded, the games are yours to keep and play as long as you are a member of PlayStation Plus. If your subscription lapses and then you re-subscribe, the games you have already downloaded will reactivate, so you still have access to them.

Wow, nice.. So apparently you get free games if you pay for the service, but the second your subscription runs out, you can't access those titles unless you, A) Re-subscribe, or B) Purchase the games outside of the subscription pack.

So, basically, it's glorified digital "renting". Weaksauce.

Edited by Austin

And you have no voice in choosing the titles you are renting.

Imagine if Netflix did this..... "Damn..... I was really hoping to watch Shuttered Island but they sent me Uwe Boll's House of the Dead" :D

Mendon

Once downloaded, the games are yours to keep and play as long as you are a member of PlayStation Plus. If your subscription lapses and then you re-subscribe, the games you have already downloaded will reactivate, so you still have access to them.

Wow, nice.. So apparently you get free games if you pay for the service, but the second your subscription runs out, you can't access those titles unless you, A) Re-subscribe, or B) Purchase the games outside of the subscription pack.

Yeah, you pay for access to the games, then when you stop paying you lose access. Kind of like how if I stop paying my electric bill, they turn off the electricity.

I would call it digital renting as well, although I don't think it's glorified any more than any of their other services.

And you have no voice in choosing the titles you are renting.

Imagine if Netflix did this..... "Damn..... I was really hoping to watch Shuttered Island but they sent me Uwe Boll's House of the Dead" :D

Mendon

For 3 or 4 bucks a month you should be able to choose whatever game you want?

Considering the majority of the free games offered are going to be PS1 classics (most of which are roughly the same price, with a few exceptions), I don't see why it would be such a big deal to allow users a single pick each month out of the entire classics section as opposed to having to choose from a small handful each month.

Edited by Austin

I don't see why it would be such a big deal to allow users a single pick each month out of the entire classics section as opposed to having to choose from a small handful each month.

Interesting. This is the road Sony should have taken.

Pay a monthly fee (To get PS consumers used to paying a monthly fee) and allow them to pick a free PS1 or PS2 game to download and keep regardless if they cancel. I'd jump all over that by itself, what would it cost them?

I'm no Sony hater, in my opinion PS3 graphics blow 360 away. I was in a Walmart today and could see MLB 2K10 side by side on both systems, the PS3 version blew the 360 version away (IMO) I didn't play either, but imagine they played about the same, the PS3 version just looked jaw dropping good. The PS3 is a rockin powerful video game system, but Sony just seems out of touch with video game folk these days. Almost every announcement Sony makes is met with groans and remarks like..."They should have done this...." Crazy.

Bring back SEGA!!!!

Considering the majority of the free games offered are going to be PS1 classics (most of which are roughly the same price, with a few exceptions), I don't see why it would be such a big deal to allow users a single pick each month out of the entire classics section as opposed to having to choose from a small handful each month.

I'm not sure how they would govern that exactly, not to mention if I get a pick of *any* PSN (or PSX) game for 3 or 4 bucks a month, I'm less likely to pony up for any full-priced PSN game, much less go to the store and fork over 60 bucks for a new one.

Almost every announcement Sony makes is met with groans and remarks like..."They should have done this...." Crazy.

Bring back SEGA!!!!

Sony is a little stingy sometimes, but PS+ seems fair enough to me. Not *great*, but fair.

As usual, fair isn't good enough for the entitled cry-babies that spend more time hanging around on forums bitching about products they're too cheap to pay for than actually playing games.

Yes. And Sony can play around with the deal... make it only PSN games or only PSX games, or make the chosen game only playable until you select another game and then give you the option to purchase your previous game at a greatly reduced price, or other changes I haven't thought of after one cup of coffee.

Or maybe a compromise: how about Sony release a list of upcoming selections... say, 6 months worth at least.... and give me a chance to really evaluate whether I want to spend my $50 or not.

Bottom line for me: I'd be much more inclined to join if I had a choice in the games. Or at least knew which games were coming. I don't want to just write a check to Sony in hopes they make available something that interests me in the future. Nothing in their initial offerings interested me and I have no idea what will be offered next month, so I have no incentive to open my wallet.

I'm not sure how they would govern that exactly, not to mention if I get a pick of *any* PSN (or PSX) game for 3 or 4 bucks a month, I'm less likely to pony up for any full-priced PSN game, much less go to the store and fork over 60 bucks for a new one.

Good point. But I believe the situation you describe wouldn't be much, if any, different than Netflix..... if a subscriber can pick any movie at all as often as they want plus stream an unlimited amount of movies for $9 a month, wouldn't they be less likely to go to the store and fork over $20 bucks for one DVD? Despite Netflix, Blockbuster, and Redbox, people still buy DVD's.

As usual, fair isn't good enough for the entitled cry-babies that spend more time hanging around on forums bitching about products they're too cheap to pay for than actually playing games.

$50 to XboxLive, $50 to PSN Plus, LOTS of DLC that costs LOTS of $$$$, $800 for three systems, $60 games, accessories & extra controllers, motion control add-on's.... its not about my being cheap at all but simply about gaming becoming a truly expensive hobby and my having to become really selective in choosing my purchases.

$3 or $4 a month might not sound like much, but $3 here, $4 there, $10 somewhere.... it all add's up.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

I wonder how long before Sony moves Netflix to a PSN Plus feature.

Mendon

I would hold my breath on that one...because I'm sure it wont be long! LOL

I'm not surprised or pissed though. When the PS3 launched and Sony announced online would be 100% free I stated then in posts Sony would eventually charge for it. Just too expensive to maintain a huge, fast, stable and reliable network that millions of people can use to play games and stream content. This PSN+ is just the start of the paid Sony network conditioning.

I agree with you 100%. Heck, according to Kotaku, even Nintendo has hinted at looking at a pay online service.

I believe the gaming industry is going to vastly change even more than many of us have considered.

Mendon

I believe the gaming industry is going to vastly change even more than many of us have considered.

Mendon

Same here. This has been the first generation of consoles where online gaming has REALLY taken off. I know online was available on the original Xbox, the PS2, even the Dreamcast but think of how many more millions of people have high speed internet now and can really take advantage of online since then. These companies have to be able to support every one of them, and with services like Netflix and Hulu the cost is just going to keep rising for them and it's a cost that doesn't go away. You never "pay off" a major network. It's like a boat, or a pool you have to keep sinking lots of $$$ into it to keep it running.

$50 to XboxLive, $50 to PSN Plus, LOTS of DLC that costs LOTS of $$$$, $800 for three systems, $60 games, accessories & extra controllers, motion control add-on's.... its not about my being cheap at all but simply about gaming becoming a truly expensive hobby and my having to become really selective in choosing my purchases.

$3 or $4 a month might not sound like much, but $3 here, $4 there, $10 somewhere.... it all add's up.

Sorry...don't feel like my comment was directed at you personally. It's getting more difficult to discuss new products online anymore in a reasonable way because whenever Sony/MS/Nintendo/etc. does something, the banana convention logs in to every gaming site in the world and starts complaining...usually in advance of the product being released or widely used.

Just check out engadget. Damn.

Anyway, back on topic...the problem I've had with PSN all along is there aren't enough demos, so I feel like with a few "free" games every month I'm getting exposure to some stuff I probably wouldn't have tried out otherwise (not to mention the full game demos). I don't think offering a game most PSN gamers already have (Wipeout HD), a full-game demo for a game that's 8 months old, and one of the worst PSX games on the network is a very good start, but I think in the long run it will be well worth it.

Sorry...don't feel like my comment was directed at you personally. It's getting more difficult to discuss new products online anymore in a reasonable way because whenever Sony/MS/Nintendo/etc. does something, the banana convention logs in to every gaming site in the world and starts complaining...usually in advance of the product being released or widely used.

Just check out engadget. Damn.

Anyway, back on topic...the problem I've had with PSN all along is there aren't enough demos, so I feel like with a few "free" games every month I'm getting exposure to some stuff I probably wouldn't have tried out otherwise (not to mention the full game demos). I don't think offering a game most PSN gamers already have (Wipeout HD), a full-game demo for a game that's 8 months old, and one of the worst PSX games on the network is a very good start, but I think in the long run it will be well worth it.

Personally, as long as it's still possible to pay for the downloads and keep the game you downloaded for as long as you like even after you quit the service, I'll be indifferent to the "free game" feature.

Please note that I don't actually own a PS3. :ponder:

So it looks like they've already rolled this out.. I see Rally Cross (PS1 classic) in the store with a gold d-pad looking icon next to it, indicating that it's a free title for PSN+ users. It's the only one so far in the PS1 classics section that's free for members.

yeah, having a look in the PSN+ section of the store shows sony's commitment to supplying old crap to its most valued members. But on the flip side, I've purchased everything I feel is of value on PSN, so what could they possibly "give" me to generate interest?

One of the folks on my friends list now has that little plus sign next to his avatar, so sony must be doing something right.

Edited by Reaperman

• 1 month later...

I see that after only a couple of months, Sony announced that they decided to change PS+ and only update the Plus selections every-other-week instead of updating weekly as initially stated.

Maybe someday Sony will actually figure out which configuration of PS3 they want to sell, what features it will have, and what Playstation Plus will consist of. :roll:

Mendon