IGNORED

rom hacks to support 2 buttons with genesis controllers

RevEng

Uh, the 7800 does have second button but it doesn't work quite the same way the C button on the 2600. I have heard it's possible to use the 2600 C button, the second 7800 button, and the regular fire button at the same time. However, I've yet to see anyone attempt to make a controller and a game that uses all three buttons at the same time.

• 1 month later...

Wow, thanks for these Great 2 Button hacked games.

While we were recording episode 3 in which we reviewed XEGS Choplifter we were lamenting why Atari in the late 80's did not introduce a 2 button controller for the XEGS and XE games.

There are so many great games on both the A2600 and A800 that could use some 2 button love.

Anyway, thanks so much for all your efforts, highly appreciated.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

2600 hardware cannot differentiate between the 7800 left and right fire buttons. 2600 games played on a 7800 cannot access twin button mode. 7800 mode games send a special strong high logic signal to the fire pin 6 of the controller. this signal is not possible to generate on 2600 hardware so assigning unique functions to each button is impossible. genisis pads work with homebrew because the paddle inputs are pulled high by the logic chip making detection easy. pressing c pulls pin 9 low and homebrew games can read this input. start and a on genisis pad have no function and cannot be accessed by sms or 2600 games.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 2/22/2010 at 7:48 PM, tkarner said:

Another possible suggestion: Sea Hawk

Fire button launches an air-to-surface torpedo.

But to fire an air-to-air missile you have to move the stick left or right and then press the button.

they've done it- the links posted in this thread

Edited by chewy

• 6 months later...
22 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Just a few years later... :) 

(use Color/B&W switch for selecting Genesis or BoosterGrip support)

Thrust+ (v1.28 Gen).bin 16 kB · 11 downloads

Thanks a lot, this makes it really easier to survive!

Maybe it's useful to support the 3rd button too? What do you think? Many people including me just built a 3-Button-joystick that is compatible to the Sega Genesis 2-usable-Buttons-Joystick. Right here:

image.png.d77262a1fcec462858845ec577ac8feb.png 

• Like 2

On 1/23/2020 at 7:58 PM, dr. kwack said:

Any chance my Ghostbusters II hack could get the 2 button treatment? It would make selecting weapons easier than using the switch.

newghosts1.bin 16 kB · 3 downloads

you are the first to ever mention using the switch to switch weapons omg maybe THATS why i cant play the game---i gotta go thru this again, and yes i also support 2 button genesis controller hack, i bet it can be done, they've done some pretty complex ones- is that in the 1 pg manual- what switches, like both diffculty switches? yea i bet they can throw that over to a button- that'd be phat

Edited by chewy

Yep. Pressing "F1" while in the shaft cycles thru your weapons. As you repel you should stay on the ghost bombs (in my version they look like a purple tylenol) and be ready to the chuck them up at the cable chewer when he appears. Always grab extras when they appear (the readout on the bottom left shows what you have encountered) and never pass up the yellow bottle of courage formula. Assemble all parts of the scoop (and there are three) then get to the absolute bottom of the shaft. You will hear slime scooping and you will then finish.