IGNORED

Checking Interest - Eastern Washington Retro-Gaming Expo

the-topdog

I am wanting to hold a Retro-Gaming Expo in Spokane, Washington in the last quarter of 2010 but wanted to check interest before I went about reserving a location and contacting exhibitors and vendors for a 2 day event.

Being in Eastern Washington, there are not many retro events close-by for us retro-gamers and vintage computer buffs to attend. The closest is the Portland Retro-Gaming Expo in Oregon over 300 miles away.

I wanted to check interest to see how many AA members could attend, to see if it is even feasible... I'd hate to organize the event and reserve a location just to have 3 people show up :D

I have hundreds of retro computers, vintage gaming platforms and classic electronic handhelds in my collection and I will pick a few of my rare systems, as well as some classics to display... and if the interest is there, I'd like to attract other people interested in displaying their units in the event.

There will of course be a swap-meet area and vendor booths available.

If you would be interested in attending, have any ideas, or would like to participate... please indicate so in this thread.

Thanks!

-Erik

Edited by the-topdog

I am wanting to hold a Retro-Gaming Expo in Spokane, Washington in the last quarter of 2010 but wanted to check interest before I went about reserving a location and contacting exhibitors and vendors for a 2 day event.

Being in Eastern Washington, there are not many retro events close-by for us retro-gamers and vintage computer buffs to attend. The closest is the Portland Retro-Gaming Expo in Oregon over 300 miles away.

I wanted to check interest to see how many AA members could attend, to see if it is even feasible... I'd hate to organize the event and reserve a location just to have 3 people show up :D

I have hundreds of retro computers, vintage gaming platforms and classic electronic handhelds in my collection and I will pick a few of my rare systems, as well as some classics to display... and if the interest is there, I'd like to attract other people interested in displaying their units in the event.

There will of course be a swap-meet area and vendor booths available.

If you would be interested in attending, have any ideas, or would like to participate... please indicate so in this thread.

Thanks!

-Erik

Wow Erik this sound awesome....Wish you were in the Michigan area we are seriously lack any Retro Gaming events in my area as well.

Sweet! I will bring all my loose INTV games I have CIB copies to replace and I will trade accoustic for something and then we can both play topdog's cool stuff! Who is bringing the keg, however? :D

It seems like there are a lot of arcade/pin collectors in Spokane due to the level of CL posts looking for additional machines. Perhaps they would be interested in some swap-meet stuff? I would love to do something like this, good opportunity to pick up some more cabinets!

I have contacted event organizers about auditorium or banquet room reservation requirements. This first event I'm wanting to be open free to the public to draw some attention to the event for future years. All of the associated costs would be absorbed by myself and any minor fees I will charge the vendors for booth space and like $5-$10 per table per day for the swap meet.

I'm going to try to locate a few people that can supply arcade games for free play... there is a huge arcade community in the Spokane/Couer d Alene area.

Most of the systems will be "display only" but I will set up a few systems that people can do hands on play. I would really like to get other people who would like to display some of the systems in their collections (either hands on or display only). There would be no charge to display systems. If you can't attend but would like something displayed in the show, we can set up shipping to me for display in the event (In most cases I will cover insured shipping costs both ways).

I would love to get in touch with any programmers, executives, writers, reviewers in the retro-tech community (like Jay Smith) that would like to be a speaker at an event like this. Does anyone here have contact information for anyone like this?

There will be some sort of high score competition and door prizes.

Edited by the-topdog

What month were you planning on doing this?

I'm shooting for December 11th and 12th if the interest is there. I'll have to commit on a venue by June 1st to secure the rooms needed and to get the printer's working on the posters, tickets, badges, advertisements necessary.

What month were you planning on doing this?

I'm shooting for December 11th and 12th if the interest is there. I'll have to commit on a venue by June 1st to secure the rooms needed and to get the printer's working on the posters, tickets, badges, advertisements necessary.

I would come (as a vendor) IF the weather permits, meaning NO SNOW, but would only make it for 1 day not 2 days. I think having it in the winter months would be a gamble unless you expect most of the vendors/admissions being local. hope you are able to get a place cheap. how big of a place are you thinking about getting (SQFT?)

good luck!

Rick

I would come (as a vendor) IF the weather permits, meaning NO SNOW, but would only make it for 1 day not 2 days. I think having it in the winter months would be a gamble unless you expect most of the vendors/admissions being local. hope you are able to get a place cheap. how big of a place are you thinking about getting (SQFT?)

good luck!

Rick

Thanks Rick!

I'm looking for either one auditorium 1500+ sqft or 2 adjacent rooms at like 700+ sqft each.

The date may move up into mid-November depending on room availability (lots of Christmas party reservations in mid-December) everything hinges on my budget and time considerations since I will be organizing and funding the entire event myself. I don't have to commit on a venue until June 1st... but I want to give people time to make plans.

I'm wanting to get at least 3 vendors to commit, 25-30 collectors and 1-2 speakers... with radio and newspaper advertising locally and posters in the local colleges, I could drum up quite a bit of local foot traffic for the event.

Edited by the-topdog

There will be a darkened booth for fun competitions using a Jakks mini projector and Jakks TV Plug & Play joysticks (Pac-Man anyone?). Prizes will be awarded.

For the display and hands on areas I selected a few systems from my personal collection. If anyone who cannot attend has anything they would like to show off from their collections or make available for hands-on play, let me know and I can arrange insured shipping both ways on my dime in most cases.

Or if you would like to attend and display your collection, there is no charge to display. Just let me know and I can have a table set up for you.

Systems from my collection for hands on viewing and play...

• Amiga 500
  • Atari 2600 JR
  • Atari Flashback 2
  • Atari Jaguar
  • Commodore 64
  • Commodore SX-64
  • Mattel Aquarius Home Computer
  • Milton Bradley Microvision
  • TurboGrafx 16
  • Vectrex Arcade w/Multicart and Homebrew Lightpen
  • Miscellaneous handheld electronic games

Systems from my collection for display only...

• Amiga 500 (CIB)
  • Amiga 600HD
  • Amiga 1000 (CIB)
  • Atari 2600 - Vader w/Joyboard and Compumate Keyboard (CIB)
  • Atari 800XL (CIB)
  • Atari Jaguar (CIB)
  • Atari XEGS
  • Coleco Colecovision w/Expansion Module 1 (CIB)
  • Coleco Telstar Arcade
  • Commodore 128 (CIB)
  • Commodore 128D (CIB)
  • Commodore 16 (CIB)
  • Commodore 64C Test Pilot Edition (CIB)
  • Commodore Colt PC - 8088 (CIB)
  • Commodore Colt PC - 286 (CIB)
  • Commodore SX-64 (CIB)
  • Commodore DX-64 (in glass display case)
  • Magnavox Odyssey 2 (CIB)
  • Mattel Aquarius w/accessroies and games including a 4-color printer (CIB)
  • Milton Bradley Microvision w/all games (NIB)
  • Nintendo Virtual Boy (CIB)
  • PC Engine GT portable (CIB)
  • Texas Instruments TI99/4A (CIB)
  • Timex Sinclair 100 w/full size keyboard accessory (CIB)
  • TurboGrafx 16 - Holiday Edition (CIB)
  • TurboExpress portable (CIB)
  • Vectrex with 3D Imager, Light Pen, Passport Owner's Club Magazine, Carry Case, Dust Cover and ALL originally released games. (ALL CIB)
  • Miscellaneous handheld and tabletop electronic games like the Entex AdventureVision, Entex Select-a-Game and all of the Coleco mini-arcade line.

If there are any other game consoles or home computers you feel would be a big draw, let me know... odds are I might have it im my collection.

Edited by the-topdog

• 3 months later...

Friday was my deadline for reserving a venue, but since I only had three people and two vendors express interest and I was turned down by every guest speaker I have decided to abandon the idea...

I am very disappointed, I was hoping more people would have been interested. I guess eastern Washington is not a place to attempt this.

Well Top Dog dont give up on the idea. I would definitely attend, again dependent on weather. Any of us on the west side would probably be reluctant to brave the passes or god forbid the gorge in inclement weather. You might consider a spring date for this as you also have the Portland show in september, Pax and I think another geekfest of some kind in Seattle all around the same time. Maybe just start small, have the freeplay setup with some nice old couches and have some fun and maybe it would grow. Morgan

Friday was my deadline for reserving a venue, but since I only had three people and two vendors express interest and I was turned down by every guest speaker I have decided to abandon the idea...

I am very disappointed, I was hoping more people would have been interested. I guess eastern Washington is not a place to attempt this.

Sorry you had to pass on it! I still think you should think about having it in the spring/summer time, there are a lot of vendors in this area, John is planning to keep doing the kelso show in april-may each year. april to mid july would be great, I would go as a vendor, and I'm sure a few others from our show would go up as a vendor also.

Rick