IGNORED

Short and Sweet (SSGC) contest

Opry99er

You all want real names? So-be-it. Howard Uman. I'm already in the Timeline for my "battles" with Asgard. Now, perhaps I'd wind up with 2.

Ahh - here it is:

http://www.ti99ers.o...ne/time1991.htm

It doesn't really talk about the issue, alas, I never got a dime out of Asgard.

-H

Edited by unhuman

I'll definitely write an intro page for this!!! And whatever format you guys settle on is great by me--- these are YOUR games--- so make it what you want. I certainly have to second Codex's thoughts on screenshots. If you guys take the screenie off Classic99, make sure the screen settings are set to NO anti-aliasing. I went through this with my Beryl Reichardt ToD to XB graphics conversion. This is sounding/looking great guys!!!

You all want real names? So-be-it. Howard Uman. I'm already in the Timeline for my "battles" with Asgard. Now, perhaps I'd wind up with 2.

Ahh - here it is:

http://www.ti99ers.o...ne/time1991.htm

It doesn't really talk about the issue, alas, I never got a dime out of Asgard.

-H

That's too bad. Well, Asgard didn't survive themselves due to bad fiscal management. I recall that Chris Bobbit alienated a lot of the 99'er community as well towards the end.

I actually found Donn Granros, the creator of Old Dark Caves and Legends, posting on an artist's forum on the net. Unfortunately he never returned my e-mails. :P I wondered if he had similar experiences with Asgard.

Adamantyr

Here's an example page from the SSGC manual. Each game will get a page like this, with a greyscale screenshot, backstory, control scheme, and a badge indicating if it runs on the original hardware or is better in Overdrive mode in Classic99. I took a little liberty with the standard TI manual layout in order to incorporate the game designer's name in the title area.

TI_Manual_example.pdf

Let me know what you think of this and what changes you would recommend. One thing I want to modify already is adding key symbols next to the gameplay instructions, just to make them stand out more.

Also, if any of the entrants who are listed in the book under their AA alias (jchase, sometimes, and Tursi) would prefer to have their real name listed, please let me know.

Hope to have more to show you soon.

Here's an example page from the SSGC manual. Each game will get a page like this, with a greyscale screenshot, backstory, control scheme, and a badge indicating if it runs on the original hardware or is better in Overdrive mode in Classic99. I took a little liberty with the standard TI manual layout in order to incorporate the game designer's name in the title area.

TI_Manual_example.pdf

Let me know what you think of this and what changes you would recommend. One thing I want to modify already is adding key symbols next to the gameplay instructions, just to make them stand out more.

Also, if any of the entrants who are listed in the book under their AA alias (jchase, sometimes, and Tursi) would prefer to have their real name listed, please let me know.

Hope to have more to show you soon.

You can use my real name for "Dark Maze". It's in the text file included in the ZIP.

Wow man... Excellent work!!! Looks like an XB manual page!!! Sweeeeet. Shame we couldn't have 2 pages per game and have the code listing in the second page of each game... I'd LOVE to see that... Kind of like the XB manual having "sample" programs... We could just have the whole listing!!! It would get more expensive to produce, but I think it would be worth it... What say you?

The example manual page looks great. Just plain crazy what has come out of the contest.

Owen your suggestion for adding the program listing on the second page is a great idea.

Turning this into a booklet, reminds me of some of the game books I have at home (Compute's first book of TI games, etc.)

The big difference is that the quality of the contest entries are at least 10x better to say the least :D

Any chance Codex' manual covers could be fit in somehow ?

Either way, if this booklet gets produced, I'd like to buy a copy please :lust:

Edited by retroclouds

I am willing to pay for the production of the standard manuals, color cover, B&W pages, 1 page per game... But if you guys want--- we can make a real deal booklet, as retroclouds said, like a Compute book.... They could even go by chapter, each chapter being it's own game, and each game could have the sweet color manual pages Codex made for the games... However, this will be decidedly above and beyond what I can afford to finance on my own. We could make it as awesome as you guys want, really... But books will probably cost some $$--- any feedback would be good here, as I'm sure Codex and I don't mind doing the work to make this whatever you guys want it to be. I am absolutely certain the folks at the Faire would love to buy one of these manuals.... But as I said--- it's entirely up to you guys. I'll ping the yahoo UG and try to hear what they think about it. :) Great suggestions Filip!

Yea man--- here's what Im thinking, we're looking at about 3 half pages per game--- so a full page and a half... Times 17 for the number of games--- so we're at a total of roughly 25-30 pages total in color... That's including front/back--- so it will actually be 12-15 actual pages. Printing front and back on 12-15 pages (not including the cardstock or board for the cover, binding or assembly) we're looking at 10 bucks. Binding and assembly, probably 2-3 bucks. If we JUST do color cover, and B&W page and program listing, we can pretty much go from $15 down to $7... These are just estimates. If we JUST do color cover and 1 page per game, we're looking at about 3-4 bucks including spine staple from the print store

Love the idea of including the source on a second page! I'll use the same format as the XB manual for that as well. And thanks bring up the mock TI manual covers I did, I'd like to include those as well. Perhaps on the inside of the color cover, kind of like a catalog page? ("Here's all the great TI games you get!") The actual cover is going to be in the same style, with a quadratic art box containing each of the four winning games.

I'm fine with a color cover and all b&w interior, keeps the costs reasonable and looks more like an actual TI product. But if enough folks want the color interior and think the price is justified, I can certainly accommodate that as well.

Thanks for all the comments, glad you're digging it!

By the way, Skydiver by jchase is not on my page. I played it as part of the judging, but neglected to put it on the site. Let's not forget this one during the manual creation. I need to update Opry99er to include this game. It's quite challenging!

Okay, so here's the skinny. These are the labels I had made up for Lemonade Stand and Honeycomb Rapture.

ae0475e4.jpg

They are about 1"x2.5" and they sit nicely on a 5.25 floppy. If you wish to see what it looks like on diskette, check out the YouTube TI99 music video for my song, "See You at the Faire" below... At 1:26 of the video there is a picture of Lemonade Stand sitting on my console with the labels on the disk and the sleeve. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJBESQdWCIM

Smongo, I'll make the first draft of the SSGC diskette label that scale.

Meanwhile, it's looking like it's going to take two pages to print each program code. But really, I think it's a valuable addition to the book. I'll post some test pages soon to let you get a feel for that.

I am willing to pay for the production of the standard manuals, color cover, B&W pages, 1 page per game... But if you guys want--- we can make a real deal booklet, as retroclouds said, like a Compute book.... They could even go by chapter, each chapter being it's own game, and each game could have the sweet color manual pages Codex made for the games... However, this will be decidedly above and beyond what I can afford to finance on my own. We could make it as awesome as you guys want, really... But books will probably cost some $$--- any feedback would be good here, as I'm sure Codex and I don't mind doing the work to make this whatever you guys want it to be. I am absolutely certain the folks at the Faire would love to buy one of these manuals.... But as I said--- it's entirely up to you guys. I'll ping the yahoo UG and try to hear what they think about it. :) Great suggestions Filip!

I'm willing to contribute for a full color manual, and I also don't think you should pick up the cost of the standard manual on your own, so I will share this with you.

Yea man--- here's what Im thinking, we're looking at about 3 half pages per game--- so a full page and a half... Times 17 for the number of games--- so we're at a total of roughly 25-30 pages total in color... That's including front/back--- so it will actually be 12-15 actual pages. Printing front and back on 12-15 pages (not including the cardstock or board for the cover, binding or assembly) we're looking at 10 bucks. Binding and assembly, probably 2-3 bucks. If we JUST do color cover, and B&W page and program listing, we can pretty much go from $15 down to $7... These are just estimates. If we JUST do color cover and 1 page per game, we're looking at about 3-4 bucks including spine staple from the print store

A few years from now this could become a prized collectible ;) Let's go for it!

A few years from now this could become a prized collectible ;) Let's go for it!

This is a very cool idea! But I think 17 games (that's the total thus far) might be a little small for a book-length project. It's kinda in that nether region, too big to be a little hand-folded manual, but not enough for a Compute! or SAMS style book.

I know a few of us had projects we didn't finish, due to frustration or lack of time. What do we think of re-opening the floor, not for contest entries with prizes per se, but for a few more programs to fill out the book? Agree on a number - say, 25, or maybe even 30 for the symmetry of it (thirty thirty-liners!), and then everyone dust off those half-finished ideas and get to work. We can determine amongst ourselves if a project is a keeper or not - given the quality of the entries thus far, I don't think we have anything to worry about there! Then put it all together with listings, docs, programming notes and a short blurb in the back on each author.

Whataya think? Or is asking for still more programs getting too ambitious?

I am cool with whatever you guys want to do. :) I say majority should rule... It's not my project anymore. :) I will print and distribute the product, but I don't think it's my place to say what should be. However, if this is to be an SSGC compilation, it cannot include games that were not entered into the SSGC contest. If you guys wanna go bigger and do something bigger than just the SSGC, I think that is a cool idea. You guys just need to decide whether you wanna go for an SSGC compendium or a 30/30 compendium.