IGNORED

Short and Sweet (SSGC) contest

Opry99er

Dude, your code.... How the sh** did you even write this? It's like the kid at school who always forgot to add punctuation andoccasionally forgot to addspaces to hissentences and never ended a sentence and kept talking without stopping for a breath it was like he had never seen a period or a comma before because his sentences just kept going man do you remember that guy because i remember that guy that was funny......

((seriously. great entry)) I'll see you at the smack talking forum later

Owen

My second game for this hootenanny is up in a new thread - TI Farmer. And yes, it's exactly what you think it is. Only so much less. :)

post-25494-126784456577_thumb.png

Aw, COME ON! I've got one idea that ballooned out of control and one that looks like crap, and you're over here cranking out an entire 99'er issue full of good-looking XB games like it's nothin'. You're kicking my ass over heah!

I don't even have time to play this right now, lest I leave all this stock on my dining room table and face the wrath of She in the morning. But as soon as I get this work caught up I'll be checking it out.

I haven't been this jealous since I walked out of my first rudiments lesson in high school and watched some other kid my age busting out Neil Peart drum solos. Bastard! :)

Hi, I tried to load flyguy in classic99 but it doesn't work

I dropped the file in my DSK1 folder and then did OLD DSK1.FLYGUY.XB

I get an "* I/O ERROR 50"

This is what classic99 debug log show:

Loading to VDP >0974 DSK1.FLYGUY.XB on drive type FIAD                                                                 
.\DSK1\FLYGUY.XB could not be identified.                                                                              
loading 0xB59 bytes                                                                                                    

Can someone please verify if it works or if I'm just doing something wrong ?

It's the .XB at the end--- your docs vs. Your game---- if .XB is at the end of the gamefile name, remove it and RUN "DSK1.FLYGUY". :). Works... Although I do not remember seeing .XB on the tail of mine--- at least it is most certainly not there now--- did you DL the latest version? The one Codex posted to THIS thread? Also, check out the TIFarmer game--- excellent stuff!!!

Edited by Opry99er

How about this for an idea... Why don't you guys get together and write a PC source code packer for XB? It could take a normal XB program and create multi lines for you (to the line length limit of the TI), strip REM statements (optional), compress variable names (optional), renumber lines (optional) and save the resultant smaller file. It would leave more free memory for your games but allow you to still have maintainable source code.

OHHH NOOOO!!!!!! I was just starting to make some money and a damn zombie ate my farmhand!!!

Poor ol' Slim Buck, he were a hard worker. Just a mite too tasty though. ;)

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I do have a third game underway, but I can refrain from working on it if it it's going to make you all hate me even more. Basically (no pun intended), after working on Java games that take months to complete and even longer to debug on everyone's computers, it's an absolute pleasure to be able to create a working game in a few days that is guaranteed compatible. It's been a rediscovery of the joy of game writing for me.

I like the idea of a code compressor utility. That's basically what I'm doing by hand now - writing legible code and then crushing it down to the form you see in TIFARMER. I can barely read the crap now myself, which is why I maintain a separate version of the code in "proper" format.

Edited by The Codex

Hi, I tried to load flyguy in classic99 but it doesn't work

I dropped the file in my DSK1 folder and then did OLD DSK1.FLYGUY.XB

Sorry about that, I zipped up my source file instead of the DSK image last time I reposted the code. I've fixed that now, so if you download the FLYGUY.ZIP again you should get the correct game file.

TI Farmer looks pretty darn sweet! :) Hehe.. nice work :)

No live score in ZomBXB because print is slow.. I wanted to keep the framerate up, and you get more points every frame.

Also, I didn't want people to complain that they shot a zombie and didn't get any points for it, hehe. This way I can hide the screwy scoring system ;)

My game is getting close. Made a few sacrifices, but... Overall, I think it's gonna work out. I wonder what the average hours / line spent.

Oh - and I'd like a little help. My ability to generate sounds sucks...

Anyone got a "shooting missile" sound? One call sound pls :)

-H

Edited by unhuman

Sorry, my own sound creation skills are pretty lousy when I can't sample or use an audio synth. But you might find Owen's sound tool useful. It makes playing with sound settings fairly easy. There are future enhancements planned for it but development seems to have *poke*poke* stalled. Works fine as-is for quickly generating short sounds and tones though.

Well, with one call sound, you can't use multiple "noises," which could be manipulated to run consecutively to make a cool "rocket launch" sound... One CALL SOUND=1 tone, chord, or noise--- or up to 3 tones and a noise... This limits the amount of modulations you can do. If you're ok with that, then try one of the following

CALL SOUND(100,-1,0)

CALL SOUND(100,-2,0)

CALL SOUND(100,-3,1,220,0)

CALL SOUND(100,-4,0)

Edited by Opry99er

Hi folks,

Great challenge idea ;)

I'm going to toss my hat in the ring with a TI version of a "colorful" electronic memory game that was popular in the 80s. Maybe not the most original concept but I've had fun writing the code. The only concern I have is that I wrote it on the Geneve, which is a little faster than the TI. At last count I had 11 data statements and 28 lines of code... just enough room for a tweak or two :cool:

Tim

This contest has gone viral! By 99'er standards, anyway. Some great entries here.

I think my idea to make a tiny adventure game in 30 lines might actually work. I won't have time to work on it till midweek, but I hope to dazzle ya (or at least hold my own with these great submissions) by then.

I'm psyched that I started Enemy Lines, too - even though it quickly outgrew the contest requirements, I think it's gonna be a good game, and the AI will make it fun to play.

This is all the hooky I get today. Back to work. :/

I see Simon!

Hi folks,

Great challenge idea ;)

I'm going to toss my hat in the ring with a TI version of a "colorful" electronic memory game that was popular in the 80s. Maybe not the most original concept but I've had fun writing the code. The only concern I have is that I wrote it on the Geneve, which is a little faster than the TI. At last count I had 11 data statements and 28 lines of code... just enough room for a tweak or two :cool:

Tim

One thought, you may want to add the caveat "limit one submission per person". Obviously, it's cool to be able to do 2-3 programs, but for a contest with tangible prizes, I think a 1:1 ratio is best.

What you can do is say "Make as many as you want, but when I make the submission thread, you can only post ONE as your submission."

Adamantyr