IGNORED

RUINER PINBALL | SUPER BURNOUT

kevincal

I figured out what was going on with my Ruiner cart. I guess the edges have worn a bit and the cart goes in a bit off from where it is supposed to be. That can cause a lot of funny things to happen. It is also the reason why I couldn't boot that cart in my JagCD slot. Inserting the cart and then pushing it to the right makes it work correctly.

So my new Ruiner Pinball score is 393,662,060

On Super Burnout I got 0'35"97. That was with Reflex Z which I think is the optimal bike for Germany. I think it is the fastest bike that you can get around the track with without ever releasing the acceleration button as long as you nail the beginning of all the hard turns.

post-2962-12684840999_thumb.jpg

post-2962-1268484110_thumb.jpg

On Super Burnout I got 0'35"97. That was with Reflex Z which I think is the optimal bike for Germany. I think it is the fastest bike that you can get around the track with without ever releasing the acceleration button as long as you nail the beginning of all the hard turns.

Damn man, another second? Good time! It's gunna be a long day ;)

Using "Wheels of Terror" I was able to improve my time to 0'35"73.

I still think the "Reflex Z" is the better bike to use for the track. "Wheels of Terror" requires slowing down for multiple parts of the track. Considering the difference in top speed you can see how good the "Reflex Z" is on this track to stay so close. If it weren't for the acceleration of the "Wheels of Terror" I don't think I would have gotten a better time with it because you can maintain the top speed of the "Reflex Z" for much longer than you can "Wheels of Terror". Ultimately though it is the difference in average time where you can see what "Wheels of Terror" can do for you.

post-2962-126853224723_thumb.jpg

I didn't think I was going to be able to beat that time. It was pretty rough. I tried different bikes but Reflex Z and Wheels of Terror are the only regular bikes capable of getting a time below 0'36"00 on this track as far as I can tell. Anyway, I had to go back to Wheels of Terror. I gave it a good number of tries and was about to give up when I got 0'35"50. At that point I thought that was as good as it could get. But then I thought I might know where I was able to cut the time down in that lap. I was pretty sure there were two spots responsible for the new time and I wanted to see if I could replicate those differences. I gave it another go and almost every lap was under 0'36"00 when I went for those two differences. I managed to blow away even 0'35"50 (only for one lap) and I don't think I could possibly beat it. 0'35"37. If you beat that I might have to concede. I can't think of any part of the lap where I could cut that time down. I had to hit the starting line at about 160mph to get that lap.

post-2962-12686180721_thumb.jpg

I didn't think I was going to be able to beat that time. It was pretty rough. I tried different bikes but Reflex Z and Wheels of Terror are the only regular bikes capable of getting a time below 0'36"00 on this track as far as I can tell. Anyway, I had to go back to Wheels of Terror. I gave it a good number of tries and was about to give up when I got 0'35"50. At that point I thought that was as good as it could get. But then I thought I might know where I was able to cut the time down in that lap. I was pretty sure there were two spots responsible for the new time and I wanted to see if I could replicate those differences. I gave it another go and almost every lap was under 0'36"00 when I went for those two differences. I managed to blow away even 0'35"50 (only for one lap) and I don't think I could possibly beat it. 0'35"37. If you beat that I might have to concede. I can't think of any part of the lap where I could cut that time down. I had to hit the starting line at about 160mph to get that lap.

You're killing me lol. Yeah, you really need to nail that final turn on your out lap to get a sub "36 on your flying lap.

Well I managed to get into the 34's...

sb3490.png

I think we are starting to near what is technically possible in this game.

I got a new fast time for myself on super burnout of 39.78 :)

Not too shabby. I'll have to teach you some tricks at MGC!

Edited by kgenthe

Alright Im up to 37.66 for my new best. :) What do you guys think the best way to go through the last curve is?

With the Reflex Z you can start your turn on the first of the three last right turns and just hold it all the way through. With the Wheels of Terror you can hold the right turn all the way from before the last left turn and just keep it held (even holding it to the right through the left-hand turn) though you will likely have to brake slightly on the second-to-last turn.

Here is Kevincal's video which we can use for reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSab8JqmJO0&feature=related

There are four spots that are really critical to a fast time.

The first is the starting line where you simply need to come over that line at the highest speed you can manage. If you are not pushing at least 150mph (more like 160 really) when you cross the line the lap is going to be a throw-away lap (that is assuming you are trying to get a time comparable to the top ones posted in this thread.)

The second spot is probably tied for the most critical turn on the track and it will make or break your time. It is the right turn at 0:23. The left turn at 0:16 should be followed minimally because you want to be on the right side for the immediate right-turn that follows. You want to get hard into that right-turn and then hold the lean into the following straight as when you run the faster bikes it will take the entire length of the straight to get to the right-side of the track so you can nail the hard-right turn at 0:23. Assuming you have held your right-lean through the straight you should almost hit the grass when the slight left comes up (0:20) before the hard right begins and you should not let up on your right lean. You want to get as close to the dirt when that slight left comes out as possible without actually kicking any up. You should be able to fully make the turn without releasing the acceleration with the Reflex Z and the amount of slowdown with the Wheels of Terror should be minimal. You might be able to make an argument that there is actually some benefit to just barely kicking up dirt at 0:20 (only with Wheels of Terror) so that you can come out of the end of the right turn fully accelerated. I am experimenting with this. If you are going to kick up some dirt you surely want to do it going into the turn and not coming out of it.

At 0:28 simply get lined up with the tire marks in the straight and then don't follow the turns at all. Fully accelerate straight and the turns will cancel each other out. You will pretty much be exactly in the tire marks still without tipping your bike at all and you won't go off the track at any point.

At 0:36 just barely nudge left in the turn so you don't go off the track but end up all the way to the right and can hang hard right at 0:37. I mean... you almost aren't going to turn left at all.

What follows is the other most critical section of track and all the remaining turns go together and lead into the other 1 of 2 most critical turns. Coming out of the right turn at 0:37 keep the bike leaning right all the way through the right turn and then continue to hold right through the left turn at 0:42. It might seem like that will take you into the wall but with the speed and grip of the Wheels of Terror it won't. You will likely be able to continue leaning all the way into the right turn at 0:44. If you have to let up on the lean it will only be for a split second. You will continue to hold that lean into the critical turn at 0:46. This is the other part where you will make or break your lap time. If you go into this turn as close to the edge as possible and hold this turn with minimal releasing of acceleration you are going to make your time here. Continue to hold the lean out of this turn and all the way through the turn at 0:48 at which time you can finally let go of the lean over the finish line.

That is pretty much the key points. If you have any tips to add please chime in.

The second spot is probably tied for the most critical turn on the track and it will make or break your time. It is the right turn at 0:23.

Agreed, it's crucial not to turn left at all, you should lifting the throttle and holding right. The hill after the turn limits you to 126 (in the Video, Kevin is going about 100, and that lack of pace carries through for a long time), so you should be focused on not going under this speed. Enter the turn at around 130-140 and hit the throttle again when you are confident you won't end up in the dirt on the exit of the turn. The entry is key, as you want as you want to be as close to the inside of the turn as possible. Critical turn!

You might be able to make an argument that there is actually some benefit to just barely kicking up dirt at 0:20 (only with Wheels of Terror) so that you can come out of the end of the right turn fully accelerated. I am experimenting with this. If you are going to kick up some dirt you surely want to do it going into the turn and not coming out of it.

Depending on how fast you are going, hitting the dirt can help with braking at the entry, but it's so unreliable. I try to focus on being smooth.

At 0:36 just barely nudge left in the turn so you don't go off the track but end up all the way to the right and can hang hard right at 0:37. I mean... you almost aren't going to turn left at all.

This pair of turns is what makes the rest of the race. I barely turn left, and then hard right. On the right bend, I know if I am good if I get my bike between the yellow line and the dirt (:35), and this means I won't have to lift the throttle again till the final turn.

What follows is the other most critical section of track and all the remaining turns go together and lead into the other 1 of 2 most critical turns. Coming out of the right turn at 0:37 keep the bike leaning right all the way through the right turn and then continue to hold right through the left turn at 0:42. It might seem like that will take you into the wall but with the speed and grip of the Wheels of Terror it won't. You will likely be able to continue leaning all the way into the right turn at 0:44.

(:42) This is another weird section where you just ignore the turn like you said. If you did everything before this correct, you don't turn left at all, keep holding right. If you are going too slow, you will crash. Carrying a lot of speed here is crucial, and the reason why the Reflex Z is too slow. (well, for this contest anyway)

If you have to let up on the lean it will only be for a split second. You will continue to hold that lean into the critical turn at 0:46. This is the other part where you will make or break your lap time. If you go into this turn as close to the edge as possible and hold this turn with minimal releasing of acceleration you are going to make your time here. Continue to hold the lean out of this turn and all the way through the turn at 0:48 at which time you can finally let go of the lean over the finish line.

(:45) this is the hardest turn on the course. I lift the throttle around this point and make sure I am leaning right (without hitting the sign) as hard as I can. I hit the throttle again when I am confident I won't hit the dirt. I always end up on the red/white rumble strip, but it doesn't matter as it will only slow you to 160, which is fine for the exit.

That is pretty much the key points. If you have any tips to add please chime in.

I think you nailed it and I think our laps probably look identical. There are only 2 points on the track where you need to lift the throttle, and you never need to brake. The key to good laps is enter the tighter turns as close to the inside as you can (which means memorization).

Hyper, what game settings are you using in Ruiner?

I reset my cart to factory in order to make sure my settings are 100% stock.

I will go ahead and say that the key to a good score is completely tied to trying to get as many multi-balls as possible and as high a bonus multiplier as possible. Half my score is often earned as bonus.