IGNORED

Turnspike's First Giveaway!!

Turnspike

There's a first time for everything, right?

Here's the contest: I am going to show you a picture, one tile at a time, of the label of the cart I am giving away. To make this quicker, I filled in all the tiles around the edge of the image, and about every 12 hours I am going to add another tile. To win, you must correctly name the game and the label variant, as read in the AtariAge Database. The Database will be your friend in this contest, but it holds no pictures of the label or box of this cart to compare with, so be warned.

The picture is just below. I will edit this post about every 12 hours to change the picture by adding a tile. You may only post one guess, until I add another tile. When I add a tile, I will also make an additional post announcing that all guesses are cleared. There were NO CLUES in this post...you are on your own. Good Luck! 8):thumbsup:

"Refresh" this page to be sure you have the most recent picture.

contest_grid.jpg

Where'd I get them? I went to a Hamfest (Radio Swap Meet) and some guy had a box full, and he was selling them as 8-tracks. I bought one because I wasn't sure of the rarity. I went to a site that said they were very rare, so I tracked this guy down and bought the rest...all boxed. I have traded a couple, and I have given away a few.

P.S. The site that said they were rare was Greg Chance's www.videogames.org (which has since changed hands). I am not sure the rarity list that Greg had is still up there, or not.

The rarity list I was using at the time was http://www.videogames.org/html/2600Stuff/2...00vgrlist.shtml. Under "Cooper Black" was this:

*     Cooper Black                                                    *

These games have no brand name.  The boxes are always a single color, except

for a few horizontal stripes of a brighter color.  There are no instruction

booklets, just some "pigeon-English" (very poor English) on the back of

the box which tries to explain the gameplay.  The name is always printed

in white capital lettering using the Cooper Black font, both on the box

and on the cartridge.  There is some artwork on the box, and the same

art is on the cartridge label.  Aside from the art and the name, the

cartridge label is black.  The box usually as a tiny gold "MADE IN TAIWAN"

sticker on it.  I consider them all to have a rarity of "ER", though of

course if you're in Asia that may not apply.

My River Raid carts aren't on the list that followed, but the keeper of this list said he considered all Cooper Blacks as ER. However, from what I gather from the collectors here, the rarity of these carts are not for certain.

I have a bunch of Cooper Black carts, I wouldn't consider them terribly rare. I've seen them, boxed, go from anywhere between $3 and $10.

If I had to guess, I'd put them in the 4-5 range for rarity. I've never found one in the wild, but they're on eBay and at cons all the time.