IGNORED

How big an SD REALLY needed? Still only using 141mb.

I have added the ROM set recommended to me from Atarimania to the 2 GB SD card supplied with my Harmony Cart. Along with what already came on the card Homebrews, Starpath CD, etc. yet Still only showing used 141mb. I know Atari games/roms are small but does that sound right? Anyone using MORE space then that and if so what have you put on there? I would like to make full use out of my new Harmony Cart, should I transfer what I have to my 1 GB SD card and use the one supplied for something else? Sorry for all the questions but I plan on a video showing the Harmony Cart in use and I want to supply good info!

Actually I am surprised you even filled that much. :)

Define categories like Year, Programmer, Company etc. Make directories for each categorie and copy each game into each categorie subdirectories.

OK I transferred everything to a 1GB card and tried it out for the first time, it worked great!

To keep the menu neat and manageable I put only about 200 games on my SD card; the 200 games I am most likely to play on a regular basis. The files take up 1.4 MB. They would fit on a floppy. I'm guessing the Harmony ships with 2GB because that's the smallest SD card you can buy nowadays. The Harmony is a good place to use old SD cards that are too small for modern uses. I have a 16 MB card from and old camera that is perfect, and still mostly empty.

To keep the menu neat and manageable I put only about 200 games on my SD card; the 200 games I am most likely to play on a regular basis. The files take up 1.4 MB. They would fit on a floppy. I'm guessing the Harmony ships with 2GB because that's the smallest SD card you can buy nowadays. The Harmony is a good place to use old SD cards that are too small for modern uses. I have a 16 MB card from and old camera that is perfect, and still mostly empty.

I can get 1 GB cards for slightly cheaper, or I could have bought smaller NOS SD cards for cheaper still. Overall, 2 GB was the best value, and also they will work in legacy card readers and devices (4 GB and larger may not.) Also, I figured 2 GB could be useful for more than just Harmony.

dang i must be missing a lot of stuff. i'm under 10MB. i downloaded the giant zip file from atari mania, got all the the homebrews from the AA listing, and went through the first 10 pages of homebrew discussion and got some WIPs such as jack & the beanstalk and pacman4k.

maybe i should make copies of everything just to have different sorting options such as release year (1981) or company name (Activision). i'm sure some of this has been addressed before but forgive me, i'm a Harmony newbie. got mine today!

i'm up to 22MB. added By Year, By Publisher (about 80% complete), and By Programmer (very incomplete). i'll probably trash the last one except for my favorites like Crane, Frye, etc.

oh, i also have these subdirectories: All Prototypes, All Homebrews, All Hacks, and All Paddle Games.

this is very time consuming. jeez.

Edited by bomberpunk

• 3 weeks later...

With 141MB of Atari ROMs, you must have a ton of duplicates. I have about 20MB, which includes the latest hacks and homebrews archive. I kind of wish I'd have kept some of the 64MB SD cards they used to pack in with digital cameras. One of those would have been perfect for the Harmony :-)

With 141MB of Atari ROMs, you must have a ton of duplicates. I have about 20MB, which includes the latest hacks and homebrews archive. I kind of wish I'd have kept some of the 64MB SD cards they used to pack in with digital cameras. One of those would have been perfect for the Harmony :-)

Your right of course lol! I am too lazy to sort them............

It definitely does call the question why the No-Intro group doesn't release a proper set of 2600 ROMs. The GoodROM set is a disaster. Thankfully some great people on this site have taken the time to compile well maintained sets of homebrew. If it weren't for them, I'd have missed out on a ton of stuff!

Btw ... OldSchoolRetroGamer ... I'm a huge fan of your vids! Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to continue making them!

No-Intro 2600 information:

http://forums.no-intro.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=688

I have got my collection up to 90MB-ish, which includes lots of duplicates (full Goodtools, Tosec and Gamebase etc...)

I have uploaded it in a 50MB RAR to:

http://www.ride-the-music.com/a2600/A2600%20Harmony%20v1.0.rar

Its not perfect, but is a good starting point if people do not have time to hunt for these.

It also includes the Drivesort software you can use with the SD Card to make everything alphabetical.

Thanks, it is a good starting place at least for me.

I have got my collection up to 90MB-ish, which includes lots of duplicates (full Goodtools, Tosec and Gamebase etc...)

Its not perfect, but is a good starting point if people do not have time to hunt for these.

It also includes the Drivesort software you can use with the SD Card to make everything alphabetical.

OK Just wanted to say THANKS SO MUCH for your work and the download!

In addition @ goldenegg thanks for the comment, I really enjoy the videos I make and have a lot of great subscribers who have been very encouraging. comments like that convince me it's all worth it!