IGNORED

SNES Super Gameboy?

The Super Gameboy is well worth the cost, and they aren't rare or expensive. Regular Gameboy games are colorized and you can change the color scheme, although keep in mind that means you get to manipulate about 4 shades of gray. You get a border as well and the game play is rock-solid.

They are interesting, and they are cheap, which is the best thing about them.

They were cooler before the Game Boy Player for Gamecube came along. That is the ultimate Gameboy device.

The Super Gameboy will apply "Super Gameboy Enhancements" (for the few games that have them) whereas the Gameboy Player (GC) will not. I think that's the only thing that the Super Gameboy does that the Gameboy Player does not.

If you're into this stuff, it's definitely worth having, at cheap price.

If you're into Gameboy, the Gameboy Player is more valuable. I suggest both.

The Super Gameboy will apply "Super Gameboy Enhancements" (for the few games that have them) whereas the Gameboy Player (GC) will not. I think that's the only thing that the Super Gameboy does that the Gameboy Player does not.

If I am not mistaken, Super GB (via the Super NES) would allow you to play with 4 players on certain games. I am thinking Wario Blast specifically. If you have the 4 player adapter, Wario Blast and a Super GB you could rock multiplayer on the SNES. Other games with multiplayer features would not normally work this way – i.e. 2 player anything will not work with Super GB that I know of, and ditto for GB Player.

Mind you I could be totally wrong about this.

Either way, Super GB enhancements built into carts, even if it’s the only thing SGB can do that GBP can’t is a huge, HUGE plus. Enhancements range from added colours, new sounds, borders, and even a completely different (and SNES quality) game in the case of Space Invaders, that can only be accessed through SGB. Also worth noting is that the colours are completely customisable on the fly, which GBP doesn't offer - it just assigns the colours a GBC would

I loved my Super Game Boy back when I had a Super-NES. I would play my GB games on it exclusively, while my GB was stored away in a drawer. Experimenting with colors and trying to find the best color combinations is a great way to revisit old GB games. I actually made a list of "prefered" color passwords for all the Mega Man games (including Mega Man V, for which I hated the default colors) as well as Metroid II.

If someone came to me and said they want to play old school Gameboy games what system I would suggest getting. I would say get a SNES and a Super Gameboy. Of course you do not have the portability factor, but IMO its the best way to play them.

Agreed, it's excellent!!! I have to give props Gamecube, Gameboy Player, and a controller adapter to use a PS1 controller. This is the easiest on the eyes (relative to staring at a Gameboy) and easiest on the hands (GC d-pad is too small - what were they thinking?).

I've got both a Super Game Boy and a Game Boy Player and I enjoy them both. Super Game Boy gets more use because I only have so many places to plug shit into my TV (and into my wall, for that matter), and the Super Nintendo is simply higher up the chain of priority than the Gamecube (seeing as I have a Wii plugged in already).

Both are good value. I'd be happier if the Super Game Boy could at least play GBC games, but such is life. There are a ton of DMG Game Boy games out there, and a Super Game Boy is arguably the definitive way to experience them.

I love Super Gameboy for SNES, I use one on my SNES Jr.

My gosh, its great... you can play games in a larger view; for monocolored games you can change the pallete with 4 new colors and make it brighter. Using a controller is big improvement, and the price of a Super Gameboy is really low.

Highly, useful! I dont even use a Gameboy, but I have been buying quite a few Gameboy games for my SNES Jr. I dont even refer to them as Gameboy games any longer, I call them SNES games.

They are usually like $8-12.

Edited by DeadlyDiskKun

Now you guys have me wondering if the Game Boy Player will play "Game Boy Color-only" games. I haven't tried in so long I can't remember. Surely it does? Gonna have to dig those out of a rubbermaid tub.

Game Boy Player will play ALL Game Boy games, Colour, dual, mono and Advance

Super Game Boy will as mentioned play original mono games and dual colour games, but they will not display in full colour

Now you guys have me wondering if the Game Boy Player will play "Game Boy Color-only" games. I haven't tried in so long I can't remember. Surely it does? Gonna have to dig those out of a rubbermaid tub.

Game Boy Player will play ALL Game Boy games, Colour, dual, mono and Advance

Super Game Boy will as mentioned play original mono games and dual colour games, but they will not display in full colour

True...

But honestly playing the original Gameboy games/dual colour games on a SNES feels ultra-retro.

There are tons of games that will play on the Super Gameboy, and distinguishing a Color game and a Dual games is really easy. If its a color game it wont have the side knick.

The Super Game Boy is well worth the dough IMO, I bought mine new when it came out in 94, and never regretted it in the least.

If you can find one, get the Mk2, they are pretty much the same, except they have a link port in them, sadly, as far as I know, this never made it stateside, though the only "lockout" on the SNES is the tabs in the cart port.

Get a copy of a few games, Space invaders has the SNES game on the chip, you can on startup opt to play the SNES version oft the game (the only game that does this AFAIK) A handfull of games will play multiplayered. I seem to remember Killer Instinct for the GB being playable multiplayered. I think a handfull did this, but I know that game does. Donkey Kong 94, it's awesome, and has full color cutscenes, a nice border, enhanced sound, etc. And many games have a (slightly) different color palate when playing on the SGB (the SGB did have the option to play sprites and BG as two color sets, but you couldn't fiddle with it in the color editing, unfortunately) The Pokemon games come to mind, I think the Gold/silver versions even had different colors for different areas of the games.

All the DMG and Color compatible (black carts) will play int he SGB. Unfortunately, the translucent grey "Color only" carts do not work (the GBC put up to 64 colors on the screen at once, I think the SGB topped out about 16)

It's a fun device, if you already have a lot of GB games, and an SNES, I'd say it's a must have. Get a Gameboy Player too, it misses the SGB features of SGB enhanced games, but it plays all of them, so it's well worth it too IMO, get both.

Does it change the games at all like some of the GB/GBC games where you get more if you play on gameboy colour?

It adds colored borders around the edge of your TV screen and enlarges the playing area based on how large your set is. Plus, it colorizes the backgrounds to a beige-ish color opposed to the gray on GB.

Does it change the games at all like some of the GB/GBC games where you get more if you play on gameboy colour?

Not many games offer much besides the SGB palette and a border (some games even offer changing palettes and borders), but some offer enhanced sound, or SGB only multiplayer modes when played on SGB. Space Invaders US/EU has a SNES version inside the cart that can be played with the SGB, though it also has the option to play the regular GB game with a SGB palette (kind of pointless with a SNES one in the same cart, but the palettes are very nice).

Edited by BrianC

Hey! I just found my color passwords for the Mega Man GB games in my archives. Here they are below, just in case someone here wants to try them. Sadly, it seems I have lost my Metroid II passwords...

--------------------------------------------
MEGA MAN: DR WILYS REVENGE
Elec Man stage      : 0411-9633-4243
Ice Man stage       : 0202-0229-3243
Fire Man stage      : 0792-0625-6243
Cut Man stage       : 2391-5339-2243

Wily Castle         : 0792-7329-4243

Wily Space Station  : 0822-4032-9243

MEGA MAN II