IGNORED

SNES Super Gameboy?

Now you guys have me wondering if the Game Boy Player will play "Game Boy Color-only" games. I haven't tried in so long I can't remember. Surely it does? Gonna have to dig those out of a rubbermaid tub.

Game Boy Player will play ALL Game Boy games, Colour, dual, mono and Advance

Super Game Boy will as mentioned play original mono games and dual colour games, but they will not display in full colour

<-snip> my bad though you were talking about the super gameboy. :dunce:

-Darren-

Edited by Pyromaniac605

Actually, neither the original Super Game Boy or the import-only Super Game Boy2 can play all Color games. Some will state that they can ONLY be played on a Game Boy Color system. The ones that add an enhanced color palette for playing on the GBC will work, but there are games that (if you have the original boxes) that state "ONLY for Game Boy Color".

Hey! I just found my color passwords for the Mega Man GB games in my archives. Here they are below, just in case someone here wants to try them. Sadly, it seems I have lost my Metroid II passwords...

...wow, color codes for each stage. That's hardcore man :P

Hey! I just found my color passwords for the Mega Man GB games in my archives. Here they are below, just in case someone here wants to try them. Sadly, it seems I have lost my Metroid II passwords...

I think Pixelboy provided these some years back as I remember loading them up for Mega Man 3 and 4. It really is nice work to be honest

I think Pixelboy provided these some years back as I remember loading them up for Mega Man 3 and 4. It really is nice work to be honest

Thanks. :)

I remember slaving over Cut Man's level, trying to find the best color combination, which wasn't easy because the graphics in that particular level did not lend themselves to coloring.

That's some pretty awesome color palates. I'll have to dig mine out, I enjoyed trying to find the best "single" palate you could play a game with (a palate that would look appropriate nomatter what stage you played on) I'll have to dig out my book sometime, I had one for Zelda that worked pretty well, and one that looked awesome on TMNT:BFTS

To bad you couldn't mess with the color of the BG and sprites seperate, the SGB could handle this, and did in some games, I don't remember Nintendo's excuse, but I bet the real reason was all the old games, some would have really fucked up sprites or something if the system let the user plug in the colors seperate.

One of the cheat code device3s for the GBC I seem to remember allowed you to plug in you're own colors for several different palates though, that was a lot of fun.

Super Game Boy all the way. It's a very versatile piece of hardware that's IMO more capable than Game Boy Player, except for raw cartridge support (GBP plays it all, SGB only plays gray and black GB cartridges in original Game Boy mode).

The ONLY problem I've ever had with Super Game Boy though, is the sound is off. I don't know if it's just my SGB in particular, but there is a definite difference between the sound on real Game Boy hardware (either through the speaker or headphones) and the SGB. None of my GB games sound quite the same on SGB. :(

The ONLY problem I've ever had with Super Game Boy though, is the sound is off. I don't know if it's just my SGB in particular, but there is a definite difference between the sound on real Game Boy hardware (either through the speaker or headphones) and the SGB. None of my GB games sound quite the same on SGB. :(

The games also run slightly slower on the SGB than they do when played in an actual GB unit. Nothing to complain about, but you can see the difference in speed.

If someone came to me and said they want to play old school Gameboy games what system I would suggest getting. I would say get a SNES and a Super Gameboy. Of course you do not have the portability factor, but IMO its the best way to play them.

Agreed, it's excellent!!! I have to give props Gamecube, Gameboy Player, and a controller adapter to use a PS1 controller. This is the easiest on the eyes (relative to staring at a Gameboy) and easiest on the hands (GC d-pad is too small - what were they thinking?).

That's what I do also! I know some people love the Hori controller but it puts the buttons at the same angle as on a 'Cube controller. So I too play my GBP games using a PS1 controller (as using a PS2 controller causes you to have to press the L/R buttons really hard to make work) as that assigns the SQUARE button as B and X button as A; the same as the standard Y&B button format most SNES games use. It's too bad you can no longer get new PS1 controllers though...

In America, "Game Boy Color-only" games came in a clear cartridge case, while dual-compatible ones came in a black case.

That's not just America the same applys everywhere there are four types:

Type A: The gray original gameboy carts

Type B: The dual black carts that were programmed in colour but can play on a normal gameboy

Type C: The gameboy colour transperent carts that didn't have the notch in the corner to prevent play on a normal gameboy

Type D: The gameboy advance carts that are about half the size of the others

-Darren-

In America, "Game Boy Color-only" games came in a clear cartridge case, while dual-compatible ones came in a black case.

Type B: The dual black carts that were programmed in colour but can play on a normal gameboy

Type C: The gameboy colour transperent carts that didn't have the notch in the corner to prevent play on a normal gameboy

-Darren-

Most likely quoted directly from the GBA's manual. Only thing I have to add is I get extremely annoyed when people call the black GB cartridges "Game Boy Color carts" which IMO is incorrect. The cartridges say "Nintendo Game Boy", not "Game Boy Color". Therefore they should be addressed as original GB carts with GBC forwards compatibility (as it actually is).

Only thing I have to add is I get extremely annoyed when people call the black GB cartridges "Game Boy Color carts" which IMO is incorrect. The cartridges say "Nintendo Game Boy", not "Game Boy Color". Therefore they should be addressed as original GB carts with GBC forwards compatibility (as it actually is).

How are they not Game Boy Color carts? The box for the games say "Game Boy Color" and the games play in color on a GBC. Not to mention that some of these dual-compatible GBC games look terrible on a b/w GB or SGB.

How are they not Game Boy Color carts? The box for the games say "Game Boy Color" and the games play in color on a GBC. Not to mention that some of these dual-compatible GBC games look terrible on a b/w GB or SGB.

I know many of the dual-mode GB games were marketed as GameBoy Color games, and it made perfect sense at the time to sell for the new & improved system. To me, they're GameBoy games w/ color enhancement, and I list them as such on my site.

For example: Uno.

The clear Color-only carts are listed as GBC games, since that's the system they were made for.

I know many of the dual-mode GB games were marketed as GameBoy Color games, and it made perfect sense at the time to sell for the new & improved system. To me, they're GameBoy games w/ color enhancement, and I list them as such on my site.

For example: Uno.

The clear Color-only carts are listed as GBC games, since that's the system they were made for.

I meant that as a rhetorical question. I don't see what the big deal is about people calling them Game Boy Color games since they play in color on GBC. I agree that GBC games that work on GB should be listed as working on GB, but I don't see the point in going overboard with semantics.

Edited by BrianC

-Darren-

Most likely quoted directly from the GBA's manual. Only thing I have to add is I get extremely annoyed when people call the black GB cartridges "Game Boy Color carts" which IMO is incorrect. The cartridges say "Nintendo Game Boy", not "Game Boy Color". Therefore they should be addressed as original GB carts with GBC forwards compatibility (as it actually is).

Wikipedia actually :lol: i couldn't find my GBA SP box no matter how hard i tried because it probably got thrown out.

-Darren-

Anyway, I don't understand this internet logic of people being "incorrect" for something that isn't incorrect. Generally, the black GBC carts have been known as backwards compatible GBC carts and the clear ones have been known as GBC only games. Now it's wrong to call the black carts "Game Boy Color" carts simply because they are colorized regular GB games? They are usually called Game Boy Color games because they have a palette specifically made for GBC. As I said, some games (Joust/Defender, Ghosts 'n Goblins, and Megaman Xtreme for example) look terrible on b/w GB and were still designed with GBC in mind, despite working on the b/w GB. There are even some games like Conker Pocket Tales where the GB version has some differences from the GBC one in the same cart.

Edited by BrianC

They are Game Boy Colour games, make no mistake. Nintendo was just being smart and trying to smooth the transition to GBC and not get everyone all confused. For a while they made the new GBC games compatible with the original GameBoy so that you didn't need to upgrade right away or wonder whether a cerain cart will work in the system you own.

To call them regular GameBoy games that are colour enhanced or 'forwards compatible' makes no sense to me whatsoever.