IGNORED

Driving Crazy - My Debut Novel!

For anyone still in doubt of buying: I can highly recommend it, got it last wednesday and finished it on Monday. For anyone liking video games definitly a nice read, and probably for everyone else as well. A few nice moments which leave you wondering about whats gonna happen next ... and more then once I had a good laugh!

For anyone still in doubt of buying: I can highly recommend it, got it last wednesday and finished it on Monday. For anyone liking video games definitly a nice read, and probably for everyone else as well. A few nice moments which leave you wondering about whats gonna happen next ... and more then once I had a good laugh!

Great Manopac, thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. And thanks for the kind words!

Randy... I just ordered a copy buddy! Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Wonderful! Thank you, Eric! I should ba able to get it out to you tomorrow. I'll let you know when it hits the mail.

Cheers,

Randy

Randy... I'm never in a rush for anyone to mail something to me. If it takes a few days or something that is fine by me.

Take care!

I look forward to more information about your publishing experience. I'm going to start a project soon that will be a nice little contribution to the retro gaming community.

Should be a lot of fun!

Edited by EricDeLee

Eric,

I'm assuming your copy arrived by now. I hope you enjoy it!

---------------

Hey, didja notice??? Albert was kind enough to put a news item for Driving Crazy on the front page of Atari Age! :thumbsup: :lust: :D Very cool of him to do that for me!

So, if you're new to this thread, welcome! So far, everyone who has bought and read Driving Crazy has really enjoyed it. I particularly appreciate Cebus for taking the time to write a great review of it.

If you're still on the fence, please check out www.RandyPearson.org and read some of the excerpts, deleted scenes and/or the review. If you love video games and laughing, you're bound to enjoy Driving Crazy.

Cheers,

Randy "Smeg"

Eric,

I'm assuming your copy arrived by now. I hope you enjoy it!

---------------

Hey, didja notice??? Albert was kind enough to put a news item for Driving Crazy on the front page of Atari Age! :thumbsup: :lust: :D Very cool of him to do that for me!

So, if you're new to this thread, welcome! So far, everyone who has bought and read Driving Crazy has really enjoyed it. I particularly appreciate Cebus for taking the time to write a great review of it.

If you're still on the fence, please check out www.RandyPearson.org and read some of the excerpts, deleted scenes and/or the review. If you love video games and laughing, you're bound to enjoy Driving Crazy.

Cheers,

Randy "Smeg"

Great book thus far... I got a few chapters into it, but hope to finish it before too long (I realllllllly need work to slow down)

:)

Great book thus far... I got a few chapters into it, but hope to finish it before too long (I realllllllly need work to slow down)

Very glad you are enjoying it, Eric! It's the type of story I actually wish were true... well, most of it, anyway! ;)

As an update, all copies are on their way as of today. To date, I have sold 12 copies through AtariAge. Thank you to everyone who has helped me to fulfill this life-long dream!

Cheers,

Randy

I got it printed at Color House Graphics in Grand Rapids, Michigan. They are strictly a printer, meaning they don't do any formatting or distributing. Basically, they want print-ready PDF files of both the book and the cover, so all they need to do is push some buttons and out pops a book. But because of this, they were easily the most reasonably priced company I could find.

Cheers,

Randy

Hey Randy, next time you need to do a print run, give these guys a try. They're called Capital Imaging www.capital-imaging.com , a Lansing based local owned digital printer right on Michigan Avenue. Ok, full disclosure, yeah I work there icon_ponder.gif , but we can do almost anything from short runs (even single books) to huge runs pretty reasonably and usually super fast. I don't handle prices though, you'd want to contact Nic at ondemand@capital-imaging.com and he can set you up with a quote. If you have any q's besides pricing, send me a pm.

Scott

Hey Randy, next time you need to do a print run, give these guys a try. They're called Capital Imaging www.capital-imaging.com , a Lansing based local owned digital printer right on Michigan Avenue. Ok, full disclosure, yeah I work there icon_ponder.gif , but we can do almost anything from short runs (even single books) to huge runs pretty reasonably and usually super fast. I don't handle prices though, you'd want to contact Nic at ondemand@capital-imaging.com and he can set you up with a quote. If you have any q's besides pricing, send me a pm.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the info! Since my writing group (and several of its members) have used CHG in Grand Rapids, I went with them. But for my next book, I'll be sure to contact you guys, and see if you're comparible. I didn't mind CHG, but the drive from Lansing wasn't the most convenient!

Cheers,

Randy

the book sounds great. Will likely order a copy in fact I may just do it right now :) Back with comments once I've read it

I just ordered your book. I will review it when done on my forums site (see sig). :)

Thank you both for your purchases, and for the reviews once you've read it. I was able to send both copies out the next day, which always makes me proud. I try not to dawdle. :)

Hope you enjoy it!

Cheers,

Randy

Fun, fun read! It was very comical and I had a tough time not carrying it around with me to see what trouble the two could find next. I highly recommend that all video game fans purchase this, read it, and then slide it on your bookshelf or with a section of your collection.

Fun, fun read! It was very comical and I had a tough time not carrying it around with me to see what trouble the two could find next. I highly recommend that all video game fans purchase this, read it, and then slide it on your bookshelf or with a section of your collection.

Thanks, Eric! :D

Hi everyone,

I got a nice, positive review in the Lansing State Journal on Sunday. In all honesty, I liked the review Cebus did a lot better (he was more thorough... the LSJ article is more of a long, albiet accurate, synopsis) but it's still very cool to get kudos from my local newspaper!

"Driving Crazy" by Lansing author Randy D. Pearson (Riley Press, $12.99) is an unusual, entertaining debut by a talented writer. - Ray Walsh - LSJ

So, I'm unusual and talented... I'll take it! :D Here's a link to the article, if you're curious.

Also, I'm just shy of making my 100th sale! And I now have Driving Crazy at 13 retail locations around the greater Lansing, Michigan area. I've been busy!

Cheers,

Randy

Congratulations on your book. I have just ordered a copy.

So why did you choose the self-publishing route? I have wondered about self-publishing myself as I wrote a novel and got it about halfway edited, then I let some see it. Response wasn't as warm as I had hoped, so if I finish it will just be for the sake of finishing, and I'd choose self-publishing from the start. I'm interested to know more about the details of your experience with self-publishing.

Anyway, can't wait to get the book.

Congratulations on your book. I have just ordered a copy.

So why did you choose the self-publishing route? I have wondered about self-publishing myself as I wrote a novel and got it about halfway edited, then I let some see it. Response wasn't as warm as I had hoped, so if I finish it will just be for the sake of finishing, and I'd choose self-publishing from the start. I'm interested to know more about the details of your experience with self-publishing.

Anyway, can't wait to get the book.

Thank you batari! Yours is on its way (might already be there, in fact). Hope you enjoy it!

As for why I chose self-publishing, there are a few reasons. Primarily, I'm in a writing group (Writing at the Ledges) and we have several members who have gone that route, but we did an anthology in 2008 that I helped to set up, edit and sell. So I learned a lot about how to self publish, and how to do it as inexpensively but professionally as possible. I know from that experience that I have the gumption to sell them... one must be a strong self promoter and self motivator if one expects to break even, let alone make any money.

Another big reason is among those friends who have tried to get published through a traditional publishing house, none have succeeded. Not their stuff isn't any good, because it is. But there's so much competition and so few publishers that manuscripts can sit in a "slush pile" for 6 to 18 months before getting a response... and in some cases, authors never get a response. I decided, at least for my first book, I wanted to write it and get it out there. No point deferring my life's dream for years if I didn't have to.

Thanks for asking! Cheers,

Randy

Thanks to our own viMaster, I have now sold (or given away... darn family :lol: ) my 100th copy of Driving Crazy! I also now have exactly 50 copies of the book on consignment at 14 retail locations, so hey, 150 copies out there somewhere around the world. Round numbers, ya gotta love 'em!

I just wanted to take a minute to thank everyone who has helped me to get here. Words can't express my gratitude... tho they do help. :)

I have my first book signing event this evening, at a book store in Lansing. I'm so geeked!

Take care everyone, and thanks again for your support!

Cheers,

Randy

How many books did you have printed? Have you considered selling digitally on Amazon Kindle? I wrote a science fiction novella and I am seriously thinking about going that route. That way I have no expenses (which I can't afford right now anyway) and I would get 70% of the proceeds (after June 30 when they double the royalties).

How many books did you have printed? Have you considered selling digitally on Amazon Kindle? I wrote a science fiction novella and I am seriously thinking about going that route. That way I have no expenses (which I can't afford right now anyway) and I would get 70% of the proceeds (after June 30 when they double the royalties).

I ordered 300 copies, ended up with 343 (they overran their overrun).

I've started looking in to selling via both Kindle and through Amazon's "Amazon Advantage" program. Different beasts I know, but both have potential. I hadn't heard they're raising the consignment reimbursement in favor of the author. I'm very glad to hear that. That was a sticking point for me... Amazon in general is a great way to get your stuff out there, but ya don't make much scratch for the effort. So if that is changing, I'll have to look into it some more.

It might be different for you, but for me, I wanted to have real, physical copies in my hand. I only know one or two people who have a Kindle... one actually, the other has another type of reader. It's a good thing to have in your sales arsenal, definitely. However, and I have to research this some more, but I *think* the Kindle version would require it's own, unique ISBN number. If that's the case, I'm kinda screwed, cuz I bought my ISBN from a fellow writer. I know different versions, a hard cover vs a soft cover for instance, require their own ISBN. They're not cheap. Research time!

Thanks for pointing it out!

Cheers,

Randy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Just a little update. Since we've last spoken, I've had two successful book signings, a few more sales (I'm up to 114 copies now) and yesterday, I received an email from a local radio station. IMPACT 89FM, the Michigan State University station, is having me do a reading for a segment called IMPACT Exposure.

Outta be fun. :)

I still have signed copies available through my website as well as Game Gavel.

Cheers,

Randy

• 1 month later...

A heads-up for those in and around the Lansing, Michigan area... I'm going to be on the radio tonight, Tue 6/29. It'll be around 7:45pm, IMPACT 89FM (88.9) and I'll be doing a reading from Driving Crazy. This is my first time on the radio, so I'm excited and a bit nervous. It'll be fun, though!

For the majority of you who aren't in the area, I'll be recording it and I will post it on my website.

Also, I've had a few more sales recently, so I just wanted to say cheers, thanks a lot! :)

Later,

Randy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All!

Here's a couple of heads-ups.

1) If you'd like to hear the excerpt of Driving Crazy I read on the radio a couple weeks ago, here's the direct link. It's around 7 minutes long, and kinda funny, if I do say so myself.

2) In case any one here is going to Vegas, Driving Crazy will officially be at the Atari Age booth at Classic Gaming Expo (CGE) this year. Chicky Baby has generously agreed to help me with sales, and... um, let's just say, there's been mention of the possibility of "product placement" that I think you guys might be interested in seeing. Just sayin... ;)

I really wish I could be there. For so many reasons! Did I mention that the last time I played Crazy Climber was at the CGE in 2003?

Anyway, if you can make it out the the Classic Gaming Expo, please say hi to my book. I hope you all have lots of fun!

Cheers,

Smeg

Glad to hear your book is doing well. :)

As soon as I can spare the funds I intend to order a copy, it sounds like a fun read and I like oddball books like this.

Are you at liberty to tell us how many copies you've sold and if you've made any profit on the project?