IGNORED

Driving Crazy - My Debut Novel!

Glad to hear your book is doing well. :)

As soon as I can spare the funds I intend to order a copy, it sounds like a fun read and I like oddball books like this.

Are you at liberty to tell us how many copies you've sold and if you've made any profit on the project?

Thanks, Soulblazer! I appreciate that. There will be a copy ready when you are!

To date, I have sold/given away exactly 140 copies, and including the ones I sent to Albert for display at CGE, I have 66 copies on consignment out in the world. I'm in the process of checking the consignment stores, to see how sales are coming along, but without counting any of those as sold, I still need to make around $450 to break even. I always knew this would be a bit of an uphill climb, but I didn't do it with any expectations of getting rich. I wanted to be in print and to put out a quality product. From the feedback I've received, I managed to do that, so mission accomplished! :)

Thanks for asking!

Randy

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Just in case anyone's interested, I'm around a dozen sales away from finally breaking even. I had a couple of great weekends, selling at local festivals.

Also, I recently found out I got a nice review in the UK gaming magazine Retro Gamer. Thanks to that, I've already received a few sales, and I'm awaiting my Retro Gamer to arrive from across the pond.

One of the fellows who bought from me was kind enough to take a snapshot of the review, so I could see it for myself. (I'd share it but it's kinda blurry. I'll put up a fresh shot when it arrives in my mailbox.) From the review:

Entertaining and witty, Driving Crazy is an enjoyable work of fiction that any arcade enthusiasts and collectors out there will be able to relate to.

Slowly, I'm becoming international. And solvent. :D

Cheers,

Randy

My copy of Retro Gamer arrived over the weekend. Here, for your amusement, is the review:

post-1517-128318853188_thumb.jpg

One "by the way"... they did a sort of mock-up of the book for the photo. The real book as a neat-looking spine, as one might suspect. :D

Cheers,

Randy

Nice!

I did read the book myself and thought it was pretty good which says a lot to anyone that knows me since I generally read sci-fi stuff only. It did keep me interested though and never felt like a chore to read which is what happens to me usually when I stray from my Sci-Fi stuff. I honestly never would have bought it if you were not a member here since it just isn't my style of book but in the end I was glad I did. I guess I am saying I recommend it ;)

Nice!

I did read the book myself and thought it was pretty good which says a lot to anyone that knows me since I generally read sci-fi stuff only. It did keep me interested though and never felt like a chore to read which is what happens to me usually when I stray from my Sci-Fi stuff. I honestly never would have bought it if you were not a member here since it just isn't my style of book but in the end I was glad I did. I guess I am saying I recommend it ;)

I figured there were two reasons... the second one having to do with your name here. When I was writing it, I kept thinking, "Well, I know I'll have at least one sale on AA." :D

No matter why you bought it, I thank you wholeheartedly, and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Cheers,

Randy

• 3 weeks later...

In case anyone's interested, Al has put Driving Crazy in the Atari Age Store! It's a bit cheaper than buying it directly from me, so that's something to consider if you've been on the fence.

I also see there's a spot for reviews in the store. If any of you who enjoyed my book wouldn't mind going there and saying a kind word or two, that would be greatly appreciated. :D

Cheers,

Randy

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone... now that Christmas is rapidly approaching, I'll bet you're trying to come up with that perfect gift for the gamer in your family... or for yourself, since darn it, you've been GOOD all year!

Well, stop your blubbering! Here's the perfect gift, at an unbeatable price:

If you purchase a copy of Driving Crazy, which will be signed and personalized (or personalised, even) I will upgrade your shipping from standard "We don't know when it will arrive" Media Mail, to 2-Day Priority Mail... at no additional charge!

*This is for US customers only - if you're outside the USA, email me here or through my website and I'll cut you a special deal for expedited shipping as well*

So, for $15.99 USD, you can get what people are calling, "Entertaining and witty" "hilarious" and "I couldn't put it down!" and best of all, have it in time for Christmas (if you order by Wed Dec 22, which is when this wonderful offer expires).

Remember, it's www.RandyPearson.org for a funny road trip story filled with video game goodness!

Cheers,

Randy

Edited by Atari Smeghead

• 7 months later...

Well, it sure has been a while since I last bumped this thread. :) But I have a good reason to do so!

Driving Crazy is now officially an eBook!

I have teamed up with a great website called Smashwords, which is a library of over 75000 eBooks, and allows authors to convert their book into multiple eBook formats, readable on virtually any eBook reading device. This includes all the big ones, like the Nook, Kindle, Sony's eReader, and Apple... even PDF, HTML, and plain text versions for PC, fancy cell phones, iPads, etc.

On my Smashwords Driving Crazy Page you will be able to download and sample, for free, the first 20% of the book, in any of the eBook formats. From there, you can purchase a copy for only $3.99.

Also, as a thank you for anyone who has previously purchased the paperback version of Driving Crazy, you can download the eBook version for only $0.99 (until Sept 2)! Send me a PM or an email and I'll send you the super-exclusive coupon code. :)

When you download it, you'll notice that on the first page, AtariAge gets mentioned. I included a review from one of our outstanding members! (I won't say who here, in case he doesn't want me to "out" him. I had to use his real name on the review. :D )

So, if you have an eReader, ya may as well read the first 5 chapters of my book and see whatcha think! And if you don't have one, you can download, for free, PC/Mac versions of the Nook, Kindle, etc. Plus, remember there are PDF, HTML, and plain text versions.

So, to recap... Driving Crazy... eBook... 99 cents if you already have the paperback version. http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/78244 :D

Cheers,

Randy

PS - As of now, the eBook is only available via the Smashwords link above. It will be available in all of the eBook retailers' stores, like Barnes and Noble, Apple iStore, Amazon, etc, but not for a couple of weeks. It has to "pass review," then get sent to the stores, then the stores have to accept it.

Also, I can't say if the 99 cent coupon will work anywhere but the Smashwords site. I'm researching it, but I'm not finding anything.

Smashwords accepts all major credit cards, as well as PayPal, via their secure website.

Edited by Atari Smeghead

• 4 weeks later...

All right... It's now official! Driving Crazy is available on darn near every eBook retailer out there. Including:

Apple iTunes (This might be the US version here, but it's also available on the UK and German sites)

http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/driving-cr...455166917?mt=11

Barnes and Noble

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/driving-cr...driving%2bcrazy

Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FTZK5G

Diesel (if anyone shops there)

http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/item/SW000000...ng-Crazy/1.html

And of course Smashwords

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/78244

I am trying to garner a few "sales" and specifically a couple of reviews/likes/stars/whatevers on any of these sites, so my deal to you is, if you own the paperback version, I have a code for a FREE EBOOK VERSION for you! l I ask is, please please, go to any of these sites and give me some love. I said please, right? Just in case... Please! :lust:

If you want a free version via Smashwords (I can't affect prices on any other site) reply here or send me an email and I'll send you the code.

Thanks everyone!

Randy

PS - For anyone who hasn't bought a copy, you can go to any of these sites and download the first 20% of the book for free - try before you buy. Each of these readers has a PC/Mac version so even if you don't have an eBook reader, you can still enjoy the book. In fact, at Smashwords, you can download PDF, HTML, and even plain text versions to read on your 'puter. Then, if you want the paperback version, I still have some copies available. :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

If Christmas is your thing, or you just love giving cool, fun gifts to people you like... don't forget about Driving Crazy! Plenty of time to get your order before December 25, but ya gotta act soon!

Remember, you can get the paperback version for $12.99! And the eBook version is available for $3.99. Just scroll up a ways, to see all the locations the eBook is available.

Oh, and I even threw one on eBay, for the hell of it. It's a bit cheaper too, at $10.99 BIN or $9.99 for the week-long auction.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1306122091321?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=130612209132&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Give the gift of laughter!

Cheers,

Randy

• 2 weeks later...

Caution, may contain spoilers, if you have not read the book yet you might not want to click on this link :)

- Hey Smeg, saw this for sale locally and it reminded me of your book

http://minneapolis.c...2744301364.html

Dude! How sweet is that!! :-o :D Guess I'm not the only one with this type of idea. Thanks for pointing it out!

Cheers,

Smeg

Hahaha, I like the idea behind this! I think I might pick up a copy, though I've been on this crazy sci-fi binge recently.

Cool! I love sci-fi myself, and I have an idea for an epic sci-fi adventure of which I have written close to 100 pages. I keep hopping between a couple of different ideas, so who knows when I'll get done. I still have some plot I need to work out.

I considered lying and telling you how in Driving Crazy, aliens beam down and steal this guy's Crazy Climber machine, and ... :lol: Never mind.

I'll wait for the kindle version, here's a bump for doing what you love

Thanks! Actually, the Kindle version came out a few months ago. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FTZK5G

At $3.99, it's a great deal. And with the first 20% of the book free, you can always try before you buy.

Cheers,

Randy

Hey Randy, just out of curiosity, how many copies of your book have you sold so far? I'm sure there are tons of geeks like us that would enjoy it. :D

So far, of the 343 copies I had printed, I've sold 255 of them. (Not including the few eBooks I've sold.) It's not necessarily a lot, but if you take into consideration that fact that I don't have a distributor, it's fairly impressive I suppose. I've had to get bookstores to take it, lobby newspapers and magazines to review it, and visit a lot of cool gaming forums to make sure like-minded people have seen it. I've also had booths at a couple dozen fairs, festivals, and book signing events. The gaming forums have been great fun! People in 9 different countries have copies, which is quite cool. :)

Oh, and I broke even several months back and am now making money on every sale.

Thanks for asking,

Randy

I just finished the book this evening. What a great story! As soon as my step-daughter is done with it it's going on the top shelf next to my signed Heinlein!

Thanks! I appreciate you saying that. Wow, a spot next to Heinlein. I feel truly honored. :)

Cheers,

Randy

I just finished the book this evening. What a great story! As soon as my step-daughter is done with it it's going on the top shelf next to my signed Heinlein!

Thanks! I appreciate you saying that. Wow, a spot next to Heinlein. I feel truly honored. :)

Cheers,

Randy

So, what's next? Anything else in the works?