IGNORED

Disc VS Disk Guide

Pyromaniac605

Anyone know why there needs to be a difference in the spelling? it seems pointless IMO.

-Darren-

The word "DISC" comes from the Philips Disco-Vision - or a Lazer Disc as it later became known as. It was the first commercial optical disc format.

Ever since - anything which uses optical storage is referred to as a "disc"

Anything (and feel free to correct me) which still relies on magnetic or "electronic charge" storage if referred to as it real name "disk" (including memory cards.)

Optical = Disc

Magnetic = Disk

Seconded.

Actually, this plays into an age-old pet peeve of mine, when people would spell it wrong (calling a CD a "Compact Disk" in writing, etc.).

I don't even bother with that anymore. I've moved on to adult peeves. Like when people who don't pay attention to spelling to begin with hear the word, "ridiculous" mispronounced "reediculous," then later when writing the word, spell it "rediculous."

Kind of a double-blind illiteracy thing.

Just my 2¢.

-tet

I think it's as much (or more) to do with where you are than anything. Kinda like Color vs Colour. They are both spelled right...in different parts of the world. The internet is just a conglomerate of the entire world in one place, so people are going to spea....er...type differently.

I do kinda agree with the third poster, it seems Disc is attached to nekid discs (CD's etc) while Disk is attached to encased discs :P

I've moved on to adult peeves. Like when people who don't pay attention to spelling to begin with hear the word, "ridiculous" mispronounced "reediculous," then later when writing the word, spell it "rediculous."

Kind of a double-blind illiteracy thing.

How about when some fool deliberately misspells his stage name, then shortly thereafter, the majority of the semi-literate youth population no longer has any idea how to correctly spell (or pronounce) the original word? I'm referring, of course, to rapper "Ludacris" [sic] and "ludicrous".

I think it's as much (or more) to do with where you are than anything. Kinda like Color vs Colour. They are both spelled right...in different parts of the world. The internet is just a conglomerate of the entire world in one place, so people are going to spea....er...type differently.

I disagree. Or, to be more precise, I agree that there are different ways to spell words and they are all acceptable in their place of usage, but I disagree that the disc/disk "controversy" :roll: is the same thing.

In The Queen's English, "colour" is correct and in American English, "color" is correct. I don't think the same case can be made with disc/disk. ICBW, but I don't think "compact disk" or "hard disc" are correct usage anywhere.

I am intensely interested in further discussion of this extremely dry, trivial subject, though. It really hits a lot of my buttons! :sleep: :)

I was curious about another pair of words, and found this:

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html#errors

:lust: :drools: :thumbsup: ;)

How about when some fool deliberately misspells his stage name, then shortly thereafter, the majority of the semi-literate youth population no longer has any idea how to correctly spell (or pronounce) the original word? I'm referring, of course, to rapper "Ludacris" [sic] and "ludicrous".

I tend to agree, but as it is an art form, I wouldn't harsh too much on them taking artistic license. It is interesting to note that, with all the genre's professions of "respect" and "keeping it real" that they don't seem to mind "dissing" their parents by rejecting their given names.

-tet

Well, My point wasn't about who uses what where currently. More on the lines of where it was used when it was first made up (Yeah, I know their older words) but I'm meaning like One word originated in one place, and another originated somewhere else, and when they came together, they both just happened to fall into the niche slot, so to speak.

Or you could just do like one of my dumbass friends and call it a call it a compact dicks :P

A list of what types of disc/disk are spelt with a k or a c

Disc

Bluray Disc

Compact Disc

Digital Versatile Disc

Identitiy Disc

LaserDisc

Disk

Floppy Disk

Hard Disk

SyQuest Disk

Zip Disk

-Darren-

Simply put, "disk" refers specifically to magnetic disks. Anything else is a disc (and in the world of electronics it's usually optical).

...Kind of like the BMW ads where they carefully pronounce "Double You". No normal person talks that way.

Umm, I do. I guess I'm not normal. I apparently have the lingual dexterity to pronounce it "double-you," quickly, without it sounding like I'm trying.

What, I suppose, like the rest of the unwashed (uneducated, lazy) masses, you pronounce it "dubba-you," or, (gulp) "dub-ya?"

Yeah, I thought so. You probably say "cumf-ter-ble" out loud, don't you? Poor thing. Really, what's so hard about saying "comfortable," I mean, all four syllables, quickly? Obviously it's not rocket science, since I can do it.

-tet

P.S. Oh, and, before you accuse me of looking down my nose at you, you're right, I am. But not from some post-graduate degree in English or anything, in fact I only gradgy-ated high school. It's just that, as you have discovered, the devolution of English is #1 on my big-time gripe list. Sorry if I bent anyone's nose out of shape, but I will not moderate my opinion on this for the sake of anyone's feelings, and, as you can see, I don't suffer violators well.

Edited by tetrode kink

...Kind of like the BMW ads where they carefully pronounce "Double You". No normal person talks that way.

Umm, I do. I guess I'm not normal.

It might be normal if you're British. :P

There's some people who pronounce the 'l', but nobody I've ever met matches the deliberately overacted pronunciation in those ads. It's meant to sound fancy, the same reasoning that I think went into the spelling of "disc".