IGNORED

Game Room

Flojomojo

Is gameroom ever going to add an Atari 2600 game that is not on the Atari Anthology or Activision Anthology for PS2?

Doubtful. Atari and Activision have pretty much been the only companies enthusiastic about re-releasing their 2600 catalogs. With very few exceptions, even they haven't been keen on titles that would require additional licensing (which means no Pac-Man, no Space Invaders, no Superman, etc.).

As for other companies, Activision controls Imagic's titles and we've actually seen a few of them make it onto the compilations. Atari presumably still controls the Coleco and Parker Bros. back catalog, but virtually all of those titles would require licensing. Epyx, CBS, and all the other little companies, whoever is sitting on those properties probably don't see any profit in doing so... if they even know what they have.

I wonder why more of Imagic's titles weren't on the Activision Anthology. Would have loved to seen Cosmic Ark and Riddle of the Sphinx. Maybe they will come to Game Room.

I love the concept of Game Room but just do not know how it will survive if it does not pay for some licensed content when people can just go out and buy Atari Anthology, Activision Anthology, Intellivision Lives, etc. for less money.

Didn't Klove or whatever his name was say on here they were held back on the PS2 release for the download service (Along with some other interesting stuff like hacks of Activision software from other companies) that was killed at the last minute?

That's why there was a telephone on the desk. It's where you'd of accessed the server to download the add-ons.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i really want to keep playing Game Room. but the games released over the last couple months

has been a drag... nothing exciting... plus the last game i played was really sucky

(warloads)... what's up with the controls!??!! do they even play them before they post them on live?

I'll log on just to see what's in pack 11... and maybe try for some more achievemnets...

but i think i'll keep my microsoft points for something else..

-rick

Warlords used a spinner in the arcade and the paddle controllers on the 2600.

I'm surprised any classic gamer would really be surprised that it doesn't play very well on a modern Xbox 360 controller. It's best to avoid any games that relied on rotary control since they're pretty much always unplayable with modern controllers.

Trackball games remain somewhat playable though, even in Game Room.

• 3 weeks later...

new update to the game room front end...

it now shows how many trophys you collected,

and how many you need to advance to the next level.

and it has real time in game leaderboards. you can swap between

your friends scores and worldwide.

when is gamepack 12 coming?

-rick

new update to the game room front end...

it now shows how many trophys you collected,

and how many you need to advance to the next level.

and it has real time in game leaderboards. you can swap between

your friends scores and worldwide.

when is gamepack 12 coming?

-rick

New front end? I need to check that out...I've been away from the Game room for a long time. Missed out on some challenges...

I heard the people behind it are gone. Is it the end of Game Room? Anyone know anything about the future of Game Room?

I haven't heard anything specific on the future of Game Room, but as far as Krome I would say it's not promising. It's never good when your Wiki page starts with who you were in the past tense!

Anyway, will anyone be in Game Room tomorrow? If so, throw me a friend request (same as my AA name here) and let me know what games you're into. I'm trying to find 'Atari Age'rs who play in Game Room.

This is a list of the contents of game pack 12. Some good games included and several surprises, such as Food Fight.

Konami

1. Amidar

2. Detana!! Twin Bee

3. M.I.A.: Missing In Action

4. Pooyan

5. Sunset Riders

6. Trick Trap

7. Twinbee

Atari (Arcade)

1. Food Fight

Atari (VCS)

1. Off The Wall

2. Warlords

Activision

1. Pitfall 2

2. Thwocker

Intellivision

1. Vectron

2. Volleyball

Edited by Atariboy

Wow. I've been ignoring Game Room somewhat, but I'm going to have to pick up Food Fight. I haven't had a 7800 for ages, so the only time I get to play that game is when I hit Funspot...and the controls on their machine tend to be pretty sketchy half the time.

And I haven't played (or seen) Trick Trap since I was an early teen. I remember it being fun, but deadly hard. If the game plays like my memory remembers, I might need to pick that one up, too.

And I haven't played (or seen) Trick Trap since I was an early teen. I remember it being fun, but deadly hard. If the game plays like my memory remembers, I might need to pick that one up, too.

Trick Trap....is that an Arcade game or console? I'm intrigued.

I like Game Room a lot, but I seem to have TONS of trouble getting the new game pakcs loaded. Example: I'll come across a new game with no picture. Oh, that game is part of the new game pack 12. Great....download the game pack. Ok, download finished...hmmm, still no game. I'll close out of Game Room and re-enter from the Dashboard. Huh? Still no games. Ok, let's re-boot the console and re-enter Game Room. What? Still no games?

I'll re-download a game pack and still the same thing. I've downloaded some of these game packs 3 or 4 times. Sometimes they seem to work, other times not so much. I'm not quite sure what gives.

no food fight yet. it must get released next wednesday...

some of the game don't get unlocked to buy when you first downlaod the game pack.

the're on a time lock... some this wednesday, and soem next wednesday..

it's weird...

-rick

where the hell is atari's star wars:the arcade game!!!!

where the hell is atari's star wars:the arcade game!!!!

I assume there are licensing issues with that game.

I wish something could be done to get the VCS versions of Space Invaders, Defender, Berzerk, etc. Even if not for Game Room, like in a VCS anthology or something. Is the licensing really that complicated/expensive?

I don't get why you have to download the "game packs" at all. Why aren't they just mandatory title updates?

I think the idea is to keep it so people on bad connections don't have to download as much and can just grab the content they need in order to play the games they want. I just downloaded everything (what the heck, right?)

Anyway. I knew of game room but I never really checked it out until today. I think the prices are a bit high, esp on some of the 2600 and Intellivision games but I suppose the argument is it includes stat tracking and leaderboards for each game. This thing gave me access to the original Goemon arcade game (LOVE that series) so really I'm not gonna complain at all.

I just wish they'd do some deals on the games or something. I'm a big enough Asteroids fanatic that I wouldn't mind adding the whole set of Asteroids games, but I don't really want to put the bones out they're asking for. Arcade Room is probably something I'll just add to whenever I have extra points.

Unless they put out some newer stuff like The Simpsons. I'd be all over that.

Yea, I'm really only adding Arcade games to G.R., since I already have the Atari and INTV anthologies. But for the coin-ops it's pretty cool. Otherwise, for those two anthologies I just mentioned you could probably find them for $10 each if you didn't care about a case, and get 40 games for that price! No live play though :(

Trick Trap....is that an Arcade game or console? I'm intrigued.

It was an arcade game. It wasn't very popular, so I doubt it ever made it onto a console. But I'm not 100% sure about that.

I just wish they'd do some deals on the games or something. I'm a big enough Asteroids fanatic that I wouldn't mind adding the whole set of Asteroids games, but I don't really want to put the bones out they're asking for.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure why they don't do this. Either do a weekly deal where they'd offer a couple of different games that don't sell well anymore for a buck, or offer a package deal at a heavy discount. Either way, I'd be on board with this.

Supposedly last October they were supposed to have a Konami Game Room bundle of 15 games for 1200 points. For whatever reason this never panned out. Kind of sucks because that would have been an incredible deal and gotten some buzz for Game Room.

Edited by Spoon

Still no Food Fight today. Bummer.

Last night I got home from work and fired up Game Room at about 12:15am. They had pack 13 available for download, so I tried to download it. It ended up disappearing from my downloads and still isn't available. Anybody have enough time to download pack 13 and see what's in it?