IGNORED

Game Room

Flojomojo

No, they won't be coming back in the short run. There were rights issues when Midway went bankrupt regarding Digital Eclipse, so these versions will not be back unless someone relicenses them or produces new versions.

I don't think anyone knows the real story behind it. The Midway titles done by Digital Eclipse on PSN (Gauntlet 2, Championship Sprint, etc.) remain available which confuses the situation.

Wonder if the Midway titles on the original XBLA for the Xbox 1 are still available.

Anyone have problems with Game Room locking up when it's loading

at start up?

If I go and delete my saved games settings on the HDD the game loads ok

till the next time I try to load Game Room....

anyone??

the weird thing is all my settings, games and progress was still in the game....

nothing was removed.... help!

-rick

Would be nice to have these in the game room when the disc is in the machine.

-Lee

No the old arcade games you bought off Live won't work in the arcade.

Sucks I know.

Screw them then.

A modded Xbox with Mame is looking down right attractive now.

Greedy b'tards.

-Lee

-Lee

Sucks I know.

Screw them then.

Greedy b'tards.

-Lee

In my opinion there's no real reason why XBLA games should be integrated into your arcade letting you earn medals, Game Room achievements, and such. I assume they'd have to be patched to operate like a Game Room title if they were integrated so things like medals and other Game Room features work correctly and there's consistency. And how would they differentiate between XBLA games so just the classic XBLA titles on your hard drive or disc appear in your Game Room? And you'd also have people looking for achievements that have a large classic XBLA library possibly unfairly taking advantage of such integration to earn Game Room achievements using their already purchased content and leaving the service afterwards when they milked the achievements they wanted after not buying a single Game Room title.

And I presume Krome Studios and Microsoft would have to negoitate to utilize assets to integrate XBLA content into the game that they don't have permission for currently in order to create things like arcade cabinets with the name and artwork on it and so on.

And you'd also have concerns with consistency. You don't want someone getting confused on why 1 game in their Game Room has many more features like online play then the others, or why they're earning achievements in one game and nothing in others outside of the Game Room achievements themselves. Or if they decided to maintain consistency, you'd have to heavily patch XBLA content to disable things like their normal menus, achievements, enhanced modes, and so on to integrate it with the rest of the content and maintain a level of consistency throughout Game Room.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

-Lee

Sucks I know.

Screw them then.

Greedy b'tards.

-Lee

In my opinion there's no real reason why XBLA games should be integrated into your arcade letting you earn medals, Game Room achievements, and such. I assume they'd have to be patched to operate like a Game Room title if they were integrated so things like medals and other Game Room features work correctly and there's consistency. And how would they differentiate between XBLA games so just the classic XBLA titles on your hard drive or disc appear in your Game Room? And you'd also have people looking for achievements that have a large classic XBLA library possibly unfairly taking advantage of such integration to earn Game Room achievements using their already purchased content and leaving the service afterwards when they milked the achievements they wanted after not buying a single Game Room title.

And I presume Krome Studios and Microsoft would have to negoitate to utilize assets to integrate XBLA content into the game that they don't have permission for currently in order to create things like arcade cabinets with the name and artwork on it and so on.

And you'd also have concerns with consistency. You don't want someone getting confused on why 1 game in their Game Room has many more features like online play then the others, or why they're earning achievements in one game and nothing in others outside of the Game Room achievements themselves. Or if they decided to maintain consistency, you'd have to heavily patch XBLA content to disable things like their normal menus, achievements, enhanced modes, and so on to integrate it with the rest of the content and maintain a level of consistency throughout Game Room.

Totally understood. Doesn't mean I have to like it. Maybe a trade in program or something.

I've bought and re-bought these games so many times over the years. I'm drawing a line in the sand here.

-Lee

Totally understood. Doesn't mean I have to like it. Maybe a trade in program or something.

-Lee

A great idea. Like how about if you bought it on Live already. It only costs 120 points to transfer over to your arcade.

I think they are way off on their prices for this to really take off. Think about it. This is just the start of the program. If you wanted to invest right now in all the program had to offer, you'd spend $150. That's on 30 measly games many of which really aren't all that deep. Honestly how long would Outlaw keep your attention these days? I do like retro, and I think it's a fun concept.It's only day two and I'm already saying...Bring on the discount packs!!! :cool:

No he can't. Midway removed all their games from XBLA.

Actually, Midway went under and its IP assets were bought by Warner Bros. I'm guessing that Warner Bros. doesn't have an agreement in place with Microsoft and Digital Eclipse to sell the Midway XBLA classics at this point.

Basically the same situation as Double Dragon way back when. The only time M$ cuts XBLA titles without warning is due to licensing issues.

I don't think anyone knows the real story behind it. The Midway titles done by Digital Eclipse on PSN (Gauntlet 2, Championship Sprint, etc.) remain available which confuses the situation.

Wonder if the Midway titles on the original XBLA for the Xbox 1 are still available.

The PSN versions were licensed and ported by SOE. Digital Eclipse didn't do the PS3 versions. Since Warner and Sony are so close, they probably worked something out.

http://www.soepress.com/product.asp?s=29

Sorry about that, I just always assumed Digital Eclipse was handling those too since it was happening around the same time they were porting things like Root Beer Tapper to XBLA.

Edit - IGN list Backbone Entertainment/Digital Eclipse as the developer for them and SOE as the publisher and the following video showing Joust confirms it.

Edited by Atariboy

I have to agree with all of you. I like the arcade design idea but paying for games I already have on the original systems, I've got all the Atari and Intellivision games they've listed, is just a waste of money to me. It's not that I don't like the games its just paying $3.00 for a game I already own and purchased for $1.00 or less doesn't make sense.

I kind of hope that they combine XBLA and the Game Room. I think that would be cool. When you buy a new game or a classic you've always wanted in XBLA then you can add it to your personal game room for others to play. Adding the Indy games in here would also be good.

I might pay more for games that are rare and hard to find (Crazy Climber, Quadrun, most of the Xonox games, Gravitar, Rubik's Cube, most of the Avalon Hill games, the Starpath games) but then again I could just go to Stella or Mame and play them on my PC for free.

Hard to say where this will go, it may work but the costs need to come way down, 40 or 80 points a game I could see, and they need to let you add your XBLA and Indy games to your arcade.

I was at the Team Xbox site and a lot of them didn't like the Game Room at all but they preferred the newer 360 games and didn't care for the classics, I think mainly because they didn't grow up in the era and they didn't like the graphics. A good game to me doesn't need fantastic graphics. I still love and play Breakout all the time and look at the graphics on it but that is a totally different subject. MS needs to work on this more.

Rich

The games are hellishly expensive, aren't they? Combat should not cost that much.

Wah, I just want my Robotron!

The Robotron on XBLA had stupid 'upgraded' graphics (ie. worse). I just want Robotron perfectly emulated, then my 360 will truly replace my original nodded xbox.

Edited by liveinabin

Sorry about that, I just always assumed Digital Eclipse was handling those too since it was happening around the same time they were porting things like Root Beer Tapper to XBLA.

Edit - IGN list Backbone Entertainment/Digital Eclipse as the developer for them and SOE as the publisher and the following video showing Joust confirms it.

Of course, I assumed from the wording in the press release that they would be porting it themselves rather than giving it to DE/Backbone. Some companies just love taking credit.

It just boils down to... we're not this software's demographic really. This is for those new to nostalgia to start a collection or send challenges to XBL/WL friends.

Sure, I might grab a game or two once it gets going but probably something that appeals to me and is not available in a set somewhere else (read: none of the Atari & Intellivision games already released)

The Robotron on XBLA had stupid 'upgraded' graphics (ie. worse). I just want Robotron perfectly emulated, then my 360 will truly replace my original nodded xbox.

You could play it in classic mode with out the lameness.

I bought Scramble and Tempest. I would have bought Super Cobra as well, but it seemed like the emulation was off, or I just don't remember it running that fast!

Either way, you know either game would cost 400 points under XBLA, so getting them for 240 seems like a bargain compared to that! I feel like I already got my $6 worth. If anyone wants to spend their tokens on a few plays,

Gamertag: PerchHunter69

One thing I'm not crazy about. The challenges. So I was sent a challenge, but when I click to accept it it takes me to the page to purchase the game the challenge was for? So you can only accept challenges for games you have bought? Lame.