IGNORED

YES! Hydro Thunder returns!

Mendon

Wake me when there is a physical copy released.

Oooh. Bad unintentional pun. :|

I like Hydro Thunder, and this sounds pretty cool. Still no media = no purchase here.

I agree 100% in philosophy; I am not at all at ease with "renting these titles for the life of the system." But there's too many cool games on XBL that you'll never play any other way. In other words, "no media" totally sucks, but not as bad as never playing the game - if it's one you like. What if the next round of consoles go mostly this way? Have to become a strictly-retrogamer then.

I agree 100% in philosophy; I am not at all at ease with "renting these titles for the life of the system." But there's too many cool games on XBL that you'll never play any other way. In other words, "no media" totally sucks, but not as bad as never playing the game - if it's one you like. What if the next round of consoles go mostly this way? Have to become a strictly-retrogamer then.

Very likely, or if I do break down and go that route, my buying habits will be much different than they are currently.

My current mode is if it's interesting looking and I think I can justify the price, then I'll pick it up. If I don't like it, I'll sell/give it to a friend or auction it off on GGavel. Of course the DLC model is working hard to break that approach. In a way, it's their loss, not mine.

If I jump on the DLC wagon I know that I'll be a lot more selective because of DRM being a barrier if a system fails and that I really don't own anything. And to be honest, I don't pay $60 for games. I do purchase legitimate copies (unlike my days as a teenager ;v] ), but my price point is typically not at the MSRP. It rarely is. For a new game $50 is my threshold for pain, and it has to be pretty special or I'm feeling exceptionally weak to shell out at that price.

I have concluded that I place my own value on things -- not in the interest of resale, but the item's value to me in my mind. This gets me into trouble with high desirability items since I don't place the same value on it as a typical collector. Conversely at the low end, a good game that's fairly common I might put a higher value on than some people might. For example Tetrisphere for the N64. Is a great puzzle game with a solid techno beat and challenging gameplay. It's also pretty common. I'm prone to price it higher -- if I were selling it because in my mind it's such a good game and has more value to it.

But I'm talking about tangible games. Those are soooo out of vogue. :D

I know I'm missing out on some pretty cool games that are download only. I have a handful of DLC that I've bought. Even though I have a ton of 'points in my hand' I'm loathe to spend them. I'm already annoyed at myself for not holding out on the Borderlands DLC. They're releasing two of the three expansions in the near future, and I really don't want to buy them again. And I'm sure they'll do a GOTY edition like they currently are with Fallout 3.

Then there are games I'm torn about; the upcoming Transformers: War for Cybertron looks _AWESOME_. If I shell out the preorder cash at Gamestop (not my favorite place -- ever) I can get a "Shockwave" DLC character to play with. First of all, I am a pretty serious TFormers fan -- I've scaled back a lot lately since there's too much to chase with limited funds. The game looks cool, Shockwave is a cool character and also looks neat. To get these things I have to support Gamestop, DLC, and Activision. This does not make me happy, and I'll probably hold out till I find it under $40 and still not grab the DLC.

Lastly, one last thing that makes me go "Oh HELL no." to DLC. I was playing Rumble Roses XX this morning. (Don't laugh, it's mean) When I was done playing I decided to just see if there was any free DLC I could add to the game. The one thing they had available was character costumes. About 86 or so of them, at 80 points a pop. No combo pack, definitely nothing free. Now, if I wanted to be a completest and download every costume available I'd spend $86! Which is like rebuying the game new nearly 3 times! I don't need the costumes, and I'm sure there was some work beyond palette swapping involved, that's still a lot of money to just rent costumes that will get lost. I'm thinking... no.

And seriously, I feel like a broken record when I say "I will never EVER finish all the games I have if I stopped buying games today and played for 12 hours a day".

Hex.

[ "Everything spins like a broken record..." They Might be Giants ]

I'll get it.

On sort of the same note I also wouldn't mind another Arctic Thunder.. which is pretty much the same game :P

You know, it seems that Arctic Thunder is a bit difficult to find. I didn't think it was all that myself. Is it rare, popular, or both?

You know, it seems that Arctic Thunder is a bit difficult to find. I didn't think it was all that myself. Is it rare, popular, or both?

It is? I wouldn't call it rare by any means.. I see a bunch on ebay. I mean it is a cheap thrills fun kind of game just like Hydro Thunder was, so it does have the same appeal.

The version I play is the old Xbox 1 version. But I imagine the PS2 version is fine as well.

• 3 months later...