IGNORED

My Air Raid Auction Update

Tanman

hey don't take it too serious and not personal ... we're just having fun ... on this site it is just natural that things happen this way if you come up with THAT box on THAT time of the year ...

it's nothing against you personaly ... it's just the believers vs. the non believers ... no violence, no verbal abuse ... we're just waiting for the moment to either say "oooh sh+++ they got us" or "oh sh+++ it's real" ... at the end we're gonna laught a lot or drop our jaws on the floor ... either way the box is impressive wether it's real or a repro ...

when we don't like someone here we show him in a very direct way ... right,shawn? :D

Shawn, he wouldn't do that :ponder:

Never! Shawn always turns the other cheek :D

Yah, his ass cheek to your face :)

The irony is that most of you guys posting and waiting til the 2nd will still think this is a hoax, even after the 2nd passes.

Nope not me. This really is the only thing holding me back. Any other time of year, and I am all aboard on this being the real deal. Especially with a trusted authority like Albert, who happens to sell new Atari 2600 homebrew games with boxes all the time. If anyone would know the difference between a new box, and an old box it would be him. I trust Albert's opinion on this matter.

The irony is that most of you guys posting and waiting til the 2nd will still think this is a hoax, even after the 2nd passes.

Nope not me. This really is the only thing holding me back. Any other time of year, and I am all aboard on this being the real deal. Especially with a trusted authority like Albert, who happens to sell new Atari 2600 homebrew games with boxes all the time. If anyone would know the difference between a new box, and an old box it would be him. I trust Albert's opinion on this matter.

You're a wily veteran...don,t get sucked in Mr. G :)

hey don't take it too serious and not personal ... we're just having fun ... on this site it is just natural that things happen this way if you come up with THAT box on THAT time of the year ...

it's nothing against you personaly ... it's just the believers vs. the non believers ... no violence, no verbal abuse ... we're just waiting for the moment to either say "oooh sh+++ they got us" or "oh sh+++ it's real" ... at the end we're gonna laught a lot or drop our jaws on the floor ... either way the box is impressive wether it's real or a repro ...

when we don't like someone here we show him in a very direct way ... right,shawn? :D

Shawn, he wouldn't do that :ponder:

Never! Shawn always turns the other cheek :D

Only the hind quarters kind! :D :cool:

in case you feel a bit stupid on the 2nd ... don't worry, we all went through this at some point and absolutely understand you .... :D

in case you feel a bit stupid on the 2nd ... don't worry, we all went through this at some point and absolutely understand you .... :D

Mad Hatter...come out from behind that hat and reveal your true identity :?:

You're a wily veteran...don,t get sucked in Mr. G :)

Oh no I am not sucked in. But I am waiting for April 2nd. If on April 2nd they say it's real. I am all aboard on this one!

PLEASE don't take any of the chatter personal, Tanman :)

AA is known for its paranoid elitism

Come April, 2nd you will likely have a box full of apologies from everyone.

It isn't just newcomers with rare items that get jacked up by the cyberposse! Hell, they tried to run me off in 2004 and I barely had a box of commons :) It's just the way the realm works.

Stick around and next time you can be part of the posse when someone shows up with something!

Just do a search for "Knight Rider 2600" or "Red Sea Crossing" and see just how delicately you have been treated

Wp

Edited by sandmountainslim

Ok, I just got home and here is how my night is going to go down:

1) I will be send a letter to each bidder of my current auction letting them know why I will be removing that auction and that another one will be posted which will included the box.

2) Around 9pm central time, I will post the new auction. It will end a week from Saturday between 7pm and 10pm depending on which time zone. That why most everyone who wants to bid will be home. I will be using the exact same reserve price as the previous auction. Please note that this new listing will cost me another $52.

3) Once the new listing is up, I will go edit the old one bacilli stating why it is being removed along with the listing number for the new auction.

4) I will then cancel the old auction. Please note that I will not get back the $52 I spent listing the first one.

I have kept out of the debate up to this point but wanted to say s few things.

I opened up this thread last night for two reasons. I have never sold anything on eBay before and I asked several times for advice on how to proceed with something this big. I did not really receive any. Second, I wanted to start an intelligent conversation about the box so that I could link to it in my auction to help people decide if they want to bid and to help promote AA as a premier website for Atari information. This will not be happening. This thread has gone straight to the wild imaginations of conspiracy nuts. Only information it does raise is the question why a company who programmed such a bad game did not take the to make sure that there lines were perfectly straight. Must be fake. Or everyone in Austin must be know everyone. Must be fake. Or my favorite, what the box smells like. Must be fake.

I would like to ask everyone one question and only want you to answer it to yourself. The next time someone finds a rare or interesting Atari item and they need some information, after they read how you chewed me up, how excited do you think they will be to join the AA community?

Here is what is going to happen. I am going to post my auction. It will be here after the 2nd of April. It will close out in tens days and someone will have the only know original Air Raid box and cartridge to go with it, and instead of AA looking like a great place to meet people who share common interests, it is going to be perceived as closed knit group who runs off new people.

I will be around all night is any one has any legitimate questions...

Wow! I really don't think that anyone is questioning your integrity. I also don't believe anyone is "running you off" in any way. It is a discussion about an item that up till now has never been seen before by any of us. No one was even sure it existed. You must understand why any of us would be skeptical. I wasn't at all untill I read last years practical joke(search Pacman Jr 7800) I really don't believe that anyone is being hateful or mean. Again I will say Good luck

Hey Tanman. Please please please don't take the skepticism personally. As other have said, there is a very long tradition of very elaborate pranks around April first on this site. The speculation you've no doubt read is not meant in any way to criticize or undermine you. Most of the speculation is meant in good fun.

People are just gun-shy when it comes to April First. Some of the pranks of previous years regarding rare items of this nature have been remarkably deep and very very detailed. And people have gotten burned by them too. I think some of our members are tired of it honestly. I know that I am. There comes a point where it's not fun any more.

I'm not a big fan of pranks myself, because usually when it comes to pranks, someone gets hurt. In this case, it's apparently you. For that I sincerely apologize for the community.

Seriously, the Atari-age forums are actually among the most civil and mature VG collector's forums I've ever been on. Most members here are not only friendly, but go out of their way to be helpful in all manner of things. Please please do not take away negative feelings on this. Had you come forward at any other time of the year, very few people would have had any doubt.

I wish you well on your auction. It'll be way out of my price range, but I have no doubt that once April 1 has passed, pretty much everyone on these forums will be on your side.

• Like 2

Well if that last post was any indication something tells me Tanman won't be back after this auction.... :|

Agreed with sand above. We've been really friendly and nice! :) We're just yanking chains, it's April Fool's after all. :D

Na na na na...hey eh good-bye :)

Holy shit, someone tell Al, Shawn Sr. seems to have hacked FB's account :rolling:

J/K

Well if that last post was any indication something tells me Tanman won't be back after this auction.... :|

Agreed with sand above. We've been really friendly and nice! :) We're just yanking chains, it's April Fool's after all. :D

Holy shit, someone tell Al, Shawn Sr. seems to have hacked FB's account :rolling:

J/K

That prick did it again...how do I stop him?????????

Forget the hair dryer and an old price tag. Peeled price tags turn into a hot mess, and it is obvious this one isn't a peel and stick.

I could do the old peel and stick and you would have no way of knowing. There are ways other than the hair dryer, and I am as inexperienced as they get ;)

I just can not believe any method will look this good. Sure there are other ways to peel. But these edges, including the center edging to discourage peeling, are too pristine, yet at the same time show the right amount of aging while still lying nice and flat on the box.

His close-ups of the price tag are very clear. Show me pics this good of a peel and stick (i.e. before, during, after) that looks this good to make me a believer.

post-17851-127008114861_thumb.jpg

J/K

That is the best one I have heard in awhile :rolling: :lol: I think that is a compliment |:)

Hey people. Cool it with the speculation and the attacks on this guy. He has done nothing so far to show that he has been dishonest in any way. He came here asking for help and all he's gotten is an earful of jerks accusing him of lying about it. At the very least give the guy some respect and wait until tomorrow to find out if it's a prank. In the mean time, for goodness sakes, shut your traps and try to be civil.

If this ends up being legitimate, I think it's proof positive that the pranks need to end. The reaction this guy is getting through no fault of his own is just not fair.

Edited by Lendorien

Hey people. Cool it with the speculation and the attacks on this guy. He has done nothing so far to show that he has been dishonest in any way. He came here asking for help and all he's gotten is an earful of jerks accusing him of lying about it. At the very least give the guy some respect and wait until tomorrow to find out if it's a prank. In the mean time, for goodness sakes, shut your traps and try to be civil.

Come shut it for me :P

I have yet to see any post made at all in any sort of attacking, insulting, or "earful of jerks" way. I've seen a lot of joking around, sure...

DRAMA LEVEL INCREASED!

Uhh ok...???

My name is Kyle and I live in Arizona.. I'm a pilot for American Airlines based in DFW (yes indeed, the same EXACT state as Austin is located... what a co-ink-a-dink!). Used to have this game as a kid which is what drew me to Atari Age in the first place (after googling). My mom sold it at a church rummage sale in the late 80's or early 90's.

Mad Hatter...come out from behind that hat and reveal your true identity :?: