IGNORED

My Air Raid Auction Update

Tanman

aaah conspiracy ..... maybe RT can tell us if albert is an alien and set up this hoax to actually cover the real conspiracy behind AA ... they're all gonna pick us up from planet earth .... aaaaarrrgggh ... RRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!

:D

Well Albert lives in Austin and I am pretty sure half the people are a bit nutz.

Officially I am still on the wait till April 2nd bandwagon. But I do want to mention something. I had a conspiracy theory as well that seemed to have all the pieces fit. It dealt with Bruce Tomlin. The man joined the sight almost exactly when Alex stopped posting on this site. My theory was that Alex was pretending to be Bruce. Heck the guy even came from Austin just like Alex. If I am not mistaken there were a couple of other similarities as well. But in the end it turned out I was completely wrong. But again I will wait till April 2nd. Just to be completely sure. Ironically the involvement of Albert is the reason why I am still not 100 percent on this.

aaah conspiracy ..... maybe RT can tell us if albert is an alien and set up this hoax to actually cover the real conspiracy behind AA ... they're all gonna pick us up from planet earth .... aaaaarrrgggh ... RRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!

:D

Are they using the ships on the front of the Air Raid Cartridge????? :ponder:

I'm hesitant to post this, but the first thing that went through my mind when I read he found the cart (not the box) was that the April Fools joke this year is going to be an Air Raid box. The box really does look legit, and I truly hope that it is, but I am on the fence also.

Get off the fence; you are going to get hurt ;)

Ok, I just got home and here is how my night is going to go down:

1) I will be send a letter to each bidder of my current auction letting them know why I will be removing that auction and that another one will be posted which will included the box.

2) Around 9pm central time, I will post the new auction. It will end a week from Saturday between 7pm and 10pm depending on which time zone. That why most everyone who wants to bid will be home. I will be using the exact same reserve price as the previous auction. Please note that this new listing will cost me another $52.

3) Once the new listing is up, I will go edit the old one bacilli stating why it is being removed along with the listing number for the new auction.

4) I will then cancel the old auction. Please note that I will not get back the $52 I spent listing the first one.

*Feeling better now*

"unsharp masking" in the blur section of photoshop actually sharpens pictures if used right .... and the gaussian blur should only be used carefully on rastered images scanned with 600 dpi or more, otherwise it gets just blurry, of course ... once you got the picture right, you can do your modifications, add some typo and slightly blur it and add a raster again. printed out with 2400 dpi, you'll make most people believe this is an old offset print, specially if you just show a photo of the artwork ...

Actually, Unsharp Masking is under Sharpen now, which is where it should be. It's a great sharpen feature and is used all the time.

Most people would never know the difference with this sort of massaging to a photo.

1) I will be send a letter to each bidder of my current auction letting them know why I will be removing that auction and that another one will be posted which will included the box.

2) Around 9pm central time, I will post the new auction. It will end a week from Saturday between 7pm and 10pm depending on which time zone. That why most everyone who wants to bid will be home. I will be using the exact same reserve price as the previous auction. Please note that this new listing will cost me another $52.

3) Once the new listing is up, I will go edit the old one bacilli stating why it is being removed along with the listing number for the new auction.

4) I will then cancel the old auction. Please note that I will not get back the $52 I spent listing the first one.

I have kept out of the debate up to this point but wanted to say s few things.

I opened up this thread last night for two reasons. I have never sold anything on eBay before and I asked several times for advice on how to proceed with something this big. I did not really receive any. Second, I wanted to start an intelligent conversation about the box so that I could link to it in my auction to help people decide if they want to bid and to help promote AA as a premier website for Atari information. This will not be happening. This thread has gone straight to the wild imaginations of conspiracy nuts. Only information it does raise is the question why a company who programmed such a bad game did not take the to make sure that there lines were perfectly straight. Must be fake. Or everyone in Austin must be know everyone. Must be fake. Or my favorite, what the box smells like. Must be fake.

I would like to ask everyone one question and only want you to answer it to yourself. The next time someone finds a rare or interesting Atari item and they need some information, after they read how you chewed me up, how excited do you think they will be to join the AA community?

Here is what is going to happen. I am going to post my auction. It will be here after the 2nd of April. It will close out in tens days and someone will have the only know original Air Raid box and cartridge to go with it, and instead of AA looking like a great place to meet people who share common interests, it is going to be perceived as closed knit group who runs off new people.

I will be around all night is any one has any legitimate questions...

?????Why are you worried about losing out on $52.00 when the bid was over 3 grand????????????

Neverending drama around here. So we're skeptical. So what? We're supposed to plunk down THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS without verification or proof? We're such horrible people. :roll:

This item (if real) is worth thousands. Think of other things worth thousands. Cars. Jewelry. Houses. You don't just step right up and put that much money on the table without asking questions and without a little bit of concern.

Personally I applaud anyone that is skeptical. In my opinion that is infinitely better than anyone who just dives right in and has the potential to lose thousands on it. It is just natural for anyone to be concerned about something like this. A game with no real known history, with a never-before-seen box.

If it's real you get your thousands of dollars from those who aren't skeptical, so why complain about us meanieheads that aren't just diving right in?

We're not trying to offend you and from what I've read in the thread (you might be reading a different thread or interpreting it differently....) we've been nothing but friendly and joking.

If we seriously were 100% sure you were a shuckster, you would know it almost immediately.

• Like 1

hey don't take it too serious and not personal ... we're just having fun ... on this site it is just natural that things happen this way if you come up with THAT box on THAT time of the year ...

it's nothing against you personaly ... it's just the believers vs. the non believers ... no violence, no verbal abuse ... we're just waiting for the moment to either say "oooh sh+++ they got us" or "oh sh+++ it's real" ... at the end we're gonna laught a lot or drop our jaws on the floor ... either way the box is impressive wether it's real or a repro ...

when we don't like someone here we show him in a very direct way ... right,shawn? :D

Edited by jahfish

<snip>

I understand how you feel, but you really shouldn't take offense to this. If you had been here for the past few April Fool's Days, you'd understand all this speculation. It's just fun. I doubt anyone means to disrespect you in any way at all, though from your viewpoint, you obviously don't want people to express doubt as in theory, that could affect the price of your auction. In reality though, I don't think it will. There are big spenders who will pay top dollar for your box, so... no worries.

Sit back, relax, have fun, and watch that auction amount rack up!

Neverending drama around here. So we're skeptical. So what? We're supposed to plunk down THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS without verification or proof? We're such horrible people. :roll:

I think I will buy it and make a video of me burning it on youtube :evil: Yes, we are horrible people! Sorry just too many pranks on AA in the past at this time of year.

None of the talk about the box being real or a hoax is intended to upset you tanman. The reason for the debate is because there is always a very off the wall hoax on AtariAge for April Fools nearly every year that is done in good fun to promote a new homebrew game or just to pull everyones leg so to speak.

I have kept out of the debate up to this point but wanted to say s few things.

I opened up this thread last night for two reasons. I have never sold anything on eBay before and I asked several times for advice on how to proceed with something this big. I did not really receive any. Second, I wanted to start an intelligent conversation about the box so that I could link to it in my auction to help people decide if they want to bid and to help promote AA as a premier website for Atari information. This will not be happening. This thread has gone straight to the wild imaginations of conspiracy nuts. Only information it does raise is the question why a company who programmed such a bad game did not take the to make sure that there lines were perfectly straight. Must be fake. Or everyone in Austin must be know everyone. Must be fake. Or my favorite, what the box smells like. Must be fake.

I would like to ask everyone one question and only want you to answer it to yourself. The next time someone finds a rare or interesting Atari item and they need some information, after they read how you chewed me up, how excited do you think they will be to join the AA community?

Here is what is going to happen. I am going to post my auction. It will be here after the 2nd of April. It will close out in tens days and someone will have the only know original Air Raid box and cartridge to go with it, and instead of AA looking like a great place to meet people who share common interests, it is going to be perceived as closed knit group who runs off new people.

I will be around all night is any one has any legitimate questions...

Here is the thing Tanman. I would 100 percent believe about the box if it was not AtariAge, and this was not around April 1st. AtariAge actually has a tradition of pulling pranks like this. This is not the first time a super rare item has appeared around April 1st, and then turned out to be an elaborate April Fools joke. Heck this would not be the second time. In fact, it is the norm for this. To the point where it seems strange when a year goes by, and no April Fools prank of this magnitude has not been pulled.

This is the classic Boy Who Cried Wolf analogy. If you had found this at any other time of year, everyone would be 100 percent in your corner. But members here have been burned over, and over again with these pranks. So much so we don't know what to think anymore when it is around this time of year. So I hope you understand why we are like this.

hey don't take it too serious and not personal ... we're just having fun ... on this site it is just natural that things happen this way if you come up with THAT box on THAT time of the year ...

it's nothing against you personaly ... it's just the believers vs. the non believers ... no violence, no verbal abuse ... we're just waiting for the moment to either say "oooh sh+++ they got us" or "oh sh+++ it's real" ... at the end we're gonna laught a lot or drop our jaws on the floor ... either way the box is impressive wether it's real or a repro ...

when we don't like someone here we show him in a very direct way ... right,shawn? :D

Shawn, he wouldn't do that :ponder:

The longer it takes CPUWIZ to post here the more suspicious I get. He was definately around here yesterday when this thread was started. The fact he hasnt commented yet is VERY suspicious. Maybe Tanman found the cart and couldnt find the box. CPUWIZ took the opportunity to create a box and Tanman is going along with the joke to create more interest in his cart auction. he still hasnt pulled it yet ;)

http://www.atariage.com/forums/user/1244-cpuwiz/

check the status message :D

Actually, the whole April Fool's timing and possibility has probably brought even MORE attention and activity to this thread. It would have been a crazy popular thread anyway, but now there's two reasons to be here... 1) your awesome find and 2) the holiday speculation and festivities in any case!

and instead of AA looking like a great place to meet people who share common interests, it is going to be perceived as closed knit group who runs off new people.

This happens every time a newbie comes here with something rare and valuable. There's plenty of other threads like this and much worse ;) I guess people will always put you through the mincer before they are willing to accept that you've found something really valuable, and they have every right to do so. If you go through previous threads, you will come across many elaborate hoaxs that have been found out. Once bitten, twice shy I guess

The longer it takes CPUWIZ to post here the more suspicious I get. He was definately around here yesterday when this thread was started. The fact he hasnt commented yet is VERY suspicious. Maybe Tanman found the cart and couldnt find the box. CPUWIZ took the opportunity to create a box and Tanman is going along with the joke to create more interest in his cart auction. he still hasnt pulled it yet ;)

http://www.atariage.com/forums/user/1244-cpuwiz/

check the status message :D

:rolling:

Shawn, he wouldn't do that :ponder:

Never! Shawn always turns the other cheek :D