IGNORED

Question About MSX Ports' Sound

Arjak

Being a fan of the MSX and it's games, I have a question about the sound of the ColecoVision ports OpCode will be making that will utilize the Super Game Module.

Many MSX games (especially those made by Konami) utilized extra sound hardware for better music and sound (Konami used what was called the SCC Cartridge). Now that the OKI sound chip is to be part of the SGM, would it be possible to mimic such sound add-ons for the MSX? If so, would you consider adding this to your MSX ports that originally supported these sound add-ons in their MSX originals? Perhaps the player could select whether they want standard or upgraded sound on an option screen, or even toggle between the two at the press of a button.

Not to create more work for you, but I think this would be a great feature that would not only improve the game, but its "authenticity." ;)

Personnaly i think it would better to create an MSX Adapter for colecovision (like put an MSX in a black box, plug it to the expansion port like the ATari Adapter is done). Than port MSX Game to the colecovision requiring a special module to play them. just my opinion.

In addition using the one chip MSX , it should be doable without lot of hardware.

Hopefully the super game module won't receive only MSX port. :)

Donkey Kong arcade and Arkanoid are example of Arcade Port that justify the super game module.

Being a fan of the MSX and it's games, I have a question about the sound of the ColecoVision ports OpCode will be making that will utilize the Super Game Module.

Many MSX games (especially those made by Konami) utilized extra sound hardware for better music and sound (Konami used what was called the SCC Cartridge). Now that the OKI sound chip is to be part of the SGM, would it be possible to mimic such sound add-ons for the MSX? If so, would you consider adding this to your MSX ports that originally supported these sound add-ons in their MSX originals? Perhaps the player could select whether they want standard or upgraded sound on an option screen, or even toggle between the two at the press of a button.

Not to create more work for you, but I think this would be a great feature that would not only improve the game, but its "authenticity." ;)

ADPCM just isn't a good option for emulating SCC, that would be very CPU intensive, even if possible.

A best option would be to use the parallel port to attach a SCC clone using a big CPLD or small FPGA. But honestly, by the time we get to those more advanced Konami games we may very well be releasing the ColecoVision2, and with the ColecoVision2 we get the YM2151, smooth scroll, etc.