IGNORED

Atari Flashback 2 - Mod or clone

Dastari Creel

Does anyone know the answer to the question above. Its kind of key to a project I may want to undertake. Basically "under the hood" is the Atari Flashback 2 the exact same as a 2600 except with the cartridge slot removed and something added to store the ROMs for the games included in the system? Or it basically a clone (or a chip based emulator) in a 2600-looking housing.

I'm guessing its the latter but would like some confirmation.

It's not exactly the same, in the sense of just jacking the cart slot on old school hardware. But it's not another system faking a 2600 either (for the 2's anyways, the oringinal FB is just a NOAC, I think) It's all new hardware, like a clone.

However it is more or less complete, even without the cart port. Several folks on the AA board had moded one to take actual carts, and to my understanding, it works reasonably well (most games will work fine)

You can find more about it under "Atari Flashback Consoles" in "dedicated systems" here. Check out the first topic.

Edited by Video