IGNORED

Magellan

The Codex

3 hours ago, Sinphaltimus said:

OK, one more issue I am having. This is only happening on this particular project.

BOBLM.TXT 3.68 kB · 2 downloads bOb_Largest_multi.mag 83.88 kB · 2 downloads

I think I know what's wrong, going to take some time to fix and test. i'll edit this when I know for sure...

EDIT:

Ok. Yes, I did hose those last two files but that wasn't the cause of the main issue.

To spite the padding, loading as map image continued to assign character codes below 32.

I have to copy the codes to available spots above 32 and then manually stamp them in place of the bad codes <32.

I also had to alter the code. For whatever reason, using transparency for character colors and the call screen caused a full black screen. This was from the Magellan code.

I replace transparency with cyan across the board.

And most importantly, I exported as xb. Basic produced illegal characters in the print statementd.

It took a long while statements. But I finally delivered on my goal.

Edited by Sinphaltimus
Final fix communicated.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Sinphaltimus said:

Ok. Yes, I did hose those last two files but that wasn't the cause of the main issue.

To spite the padding, loading as map image continued to assign character codes below 32.

I have to copy the codes to available spots above 32 and then manually stamp them in place of the bad codes <32.

I also had to alter the code. For whatever reason, using transparency for character colors and the call screen caused a full black screen. This was from the Magellan code.

I replace transparency with cyan across the board.

And most importantly, I exported as xb. Basic produced illegal characters in the print statementd.

It took a long while statements. But I finally delivered on my goal.

Good that you solved it. I don't know what you did, but I was able to import the attached image as a map image and export a working XB program in just a few minutes.

head.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Asmusr said:

Good that you solved it. I don't know what you did, but I was able to import the attached image as a map image and export a working XB program in just a few minutes.

head.png

I wish I knew each step and setting path you took. For me, to spite looking right on the screen, some of the Character sets would be inverted. Where the background color would be inverted with the foreground color. All kinds of weird little things. I have installed the latest version.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, dhe said:

That works, the pinned link at the top of the thread, appears to be broken:

http://www.dreamcodex.com/download/Magellan.zip

That's a link to the original author's website, but he hasn't been updating Magellan for a long time. If somebody could edit the first post and add the new download link, that would be great.

• 2 months later...

Hi there, I'm thegeps, an MSX coder and I use Magellan for my projects. Actually I'm porting Turrican and I'd like to have some new features added, if possible.

How about select and copy/move several chars in one time?

I use Magellan for sprites too. So, is it possible to restore their export as bin? I have everytime to manually modify the asm source exported file to use them...

And now that we are talking about sprites... it would be nice if they could be moved and placed pixel by pixel on test screen (so objects done by multiple sprites would be easy to draw)

On 1/15/2022 at 10:01 PM, thegeps said:

I use Magellan for sprites too. So, is it possible to restore their export as bin? I have everytime to manually modify the asm source exported file to use them...

I'm not using the binary format myself so I have been reluctant to modify it, but I could see that the sprite partly done, which was a mess, so in version 4.2.0 I have added the sprite patterns to the binary format.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Any prospect of adding 40 column or 80 column (text mode) support to Magellan?  Mostly the same thing - just supporting display of 6x8 characters in the preview space, where the last two columns of each pattern are ignored.  Given Magellan already lets you specify an arbitrary column width, so that part is fine. 

I know it's pretty niche, and specifically the need to add graphics to a 40 column or 80 column screen somewhat more so.  But these modes see a fair amount of use these days, and even text mode applications often want interface graphics.  Plus, Harry's T40XB and T80XB serve as an appealing invitation to their use by anyone. 

37 minutes ago, pixelpedant said:

Any prospect of adding 40 column or 80 column (text mode) support to Magellan?  Mostly the same thing - just supporting display of 6x8 characters in the preview space, where the last two columns of each pattern are ignored.  Given Magellan already lets you specify an arbitrary column width, so that part is fine. 

I know it's pretty niche, and specifically the need to add graphics to a 40 column or 80 column screen somewhat more so.  But these modes see a fair amount of use these days, and even text mode applications often want interface graphics.  Plus, Harry's T40XB and T80XB serve as an appealing invitation to their use by anyone. 

I'm not sure I understand the use case. Is it for BBS graphics? And the idea is to have a switch to display only the first 6 pixel columns of each character in the view?

15 minutes ago, Asmusr said:

I'm not sure I understand the use case. Is it for BBS graphics? And the idea is to have a switch to display only the first 6 pixel columns of each character in the view?

That's one application, I suppose.  But my main motivations are T40XB and Force Command as 40 column environments (and 80 column environments, but as I say, any solution that addresses the one addresses the other). 

And yeah, that's really the only difference.  It would just display the first six pixel columns of each character in the screen area, with no other changes I can think of.  Even export wouldn't really need anything new, since pattern data is the same as in standard mode for export purposes and palette data isn't necessary. 

On 1/15/2022 at 10:01 PM, thegeps said:

And now that we are talking about sprites... it would be nice if they could be moved and placed pixel by pixel on test screen (so objects done by multiple sprites would be easy to draw)

I have sometimes wanted that, but have always worked around it by redesigning the sprite patterns. I could see the need if I was trying to enhance a map image by adding sprites at specific positions, and I had to reuse the patterns. If you're just drawing objects using multiple sprites, you should be able to adjust the patterns to fix 8x8 cells, unless you need to reuse the patterns in multiple places. Please explain what you're trying to do, so I can evaluate is it's a common enough use case to consider implementing it.

Note that the code is open source, and anyone is welcome to suggest changes. The changes I do are mostly because I need them for my own projects.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pixelpedant said:

That's one application, I suppose.  But my main motivations are T40XB and Force Command as 40 column environments (and 80 column environments, but as I say, any solution that addresses the one addresses the other). 

If you send me an example of a file that would benefit from a 6 pixel switch, I would be happy to consider your proposal. 

1 minute ago, Asmusr said:

If you send me an example of a file that would benefit from a 6 pixel switch, I would be happy to consider your proposal. 

I'll provide a couple examples.  One is a T40XB speech program I wrote and still use, TI Composer.  Its interface looks like this:

XbvPlglyvBLcpmcUYvyfbTgEWRva8odnrdgttOgR_gpfbEtmMS2hWqoA2WIB5v5setRMvn6NtT_CaTkqP7N9MjtzYwdVdiSBOENkHRR-1xjFykJMsn7LoN4dCm5edzNpgmKktPVm

And I do still have a Magellan file for it:

COMPOSER 6X8 V4.mag

Another is a T80XB (likewise speech) demo from a while ago which used a graphic that looked like this:

image.thumb.png.4a5bfc347df08a79783ef634fc666af0.png

Whose Magellan file is the following:

TI logo glados map.mag

That latter is also stretched horizontally in Magellan as follows, since it's being created for 80 column mode:

image.thumb.png.a9473bf7462b52a164e89f53c9a9ba75.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Asmusr said:

I have sometimes wanted that, but have always worked around it by redesigning the sprite patterns. I could see the need if I was trying to enhance a map image by adding sprites at specific positions, and I had to reuse the patterns. If you're just drawing objects using multiple sprites, you should be able to adjust the patterns to fix 8x8 cells, unless you need to reuse the patterns in multiple places. Please explain what you're trying to do, so I can evaluate is it's a common enough use case to consider implementing it.

Applying sprites to smooth a bitmap image is one of the objectives.

But main one is a simple sprite editor to create objects using multiple sprites. 8pixel alignment isn't enough accurate for my projects...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2022 at 9:14 PM, thegeps said:

Applying sprites to smooth a bitmap image is one of the objectives.

But main one is a simple sprite editor to create objects using multiple sprites. 8pixel alignment isn't enough accurate for my projects...

The latest version of Magellan (https://magellan.js99er.net/) allows sprites to be placed at any pixel location. I implemented this as an option to 'Snap Sprites to Grid', so you can still use the old functionality, if desired. If you choose to snap to grid it's the 'Grid Size' that determines where you can place sprites, no matter if the grid is visible or not. The way to remove a sprite from a map is unchanged: you have to right-click at the position of the sprite you want to remove. With the greater precision it will be more difficult to find the right spot, which can be mitigated by zooming. The new functionality allows you to draw using a sprite as brush, which is hardly useful and results in too many sprites on a real TI-99/4A, so if you do this by mistake I suggest to click the undo button. That reminds me I need to add Ctrl-Z as a shortcut for undo (perhaps next time?).  

Regarding the wish for an option to use text mode/6x8 characters, the changes to the code would complicate the development of future core features, so I don't think there is a strong enough use case to justify this. 

• Like 3

I'm here with another request (I'm sorry, but I really like your work and want to keep using magellan to my projects!)

Can you add this new feature? (it shouldn't be too difficult, I think)

Import/export as binary a metatile (2x2/4x4) map?

I mean, you have a  character set ready to use, and loading the map you'll have your 2x2 or 4x4 tileset page(s) ready to use.

It will be useful to import maps from other apps (like charpad).

I'm actually working on two projects:

Turrican for MSX (and I'm importing tilemaps and charset directly from C64 version from charpad examples)

I'm exporting the tilemap from charpad as a bin file wich I include in my code and I'm using it easily.

For the charset I'm exporting it from charpad as a png image and importing it to magellan. Then I'm reorganizing chars positions and retouching them. the problem is that to see the whole effect I have to recreate at least a piece of the map or at least some 4x4 tiles and doing it manually isn't a funny job...

the second project is a game for multiple hardware platforms. I'm doing (as phaze101 member) the msx version. But the gfx artist works on charpad (first doing the c64 gfx and then the msx version) using 2x2 tiles. He has no problems in redraw chars directly on Magellan, but redrawing all the tiles combinations and importing the (big) map is a pain in the ass...

can you help with this?