IGNORED

Deathsmiles

Gabriel

Wow, I'm really bad at this! I made a fair amount into the game before continuing, but only managed a bit over 4 million points. What's the trick to getting big scores?

The main focus of scoring is to max out your item counter at the bottom-left of the screen. From there, any items collected will add to a bonus multiplier, maxing out at 10,000. The goal is to get to this max as quickly as possible. To do this, you will find that killing certain enemies certain ways will drop more items. For instance, in Halloweentown, using your standard quick shot on the swarms of one-eyed flying things will give you small crowns for each kill (they add +5 to your item counter). However, killing them with your slow/power shot will give you skulls instead (each skull gives you +1 to your item counter). Some enemies that you get small crowns from will give you even more if you use your lock-on shot. The trick is finding out who gives you what and how much. There's more to it than just that, but that's a good place to start. :)

Wow, I'm really bad at this! I made a fair amount into the game before continuing, but only managed a bit over 4 million points. What's the trick to getting big scores?

The main focus of scoring is to max out your item counter at the bottom-left of the screen. From there, any items collected will add to a bonus multiplier, maxing out at 10,000. The goal is to get to this max as quickly as possible. To do this, you will find that killing certain enemies certain ways will drop more items. For instance, in Halloweentown, using your standard quick shot on the swarms of one-eyed flying things will give you small crowns for each kill (they add +5 to your item counter). However, killing them with your slow/power shot will give you skulls instead (each skull gives you +1 to your item counter). Some enemies that you get small crowns from will give you even more if you use your lock-on shot. The trick is finding out who gives you what and how much. There's more to it than just that, but that's a good place to start. :)

This is right, but I found out what gives me the most points is when you get to 1,000 you press both fire buttons together to start that mode. Buildings that you blow up in this mode literally explode with gems, a LOT more than with a standard mode. Once I get the video uploaded (My car broke down this weekend, so I didn't go to see her...), you can see what I am talking about.

I did find a new path however to really bring in the points, so hopefully once I get a good run I will upload that.

This is right, but I found out what gives me the most points is when you get to 1,000 you press both fire buttons together to start that mode. Buildings that you blow up in this mode literally explode with gems, a LOT more than with a standard mode. Once I get the video uploaded (My car broke down this weekend, so I didn't go to see her...), you can see what I am talking about.

I did find a new path however to really bring in the points, so hopefully once I get a good run I will upload that.

Yep.. This is basically the next step, I was just laying down the groundwork, so to say. ;) Going into the special mode is necessary for high scoring as well as figuring out the best places to use it. I was watching a video on YouTube and saw that there are also points in the game where you can perform a "refresh" (I don't remember the exact term.. brain is fried). If you position yourself correctly in the special mode, by getting so many icons on the screen at once right as your meter runs out, there will be enough to absorb that will refill your item counter completely. From what I have watched you can carry a full item bar through the whole game if you plan it right. After watching someone do it on the tree level I spent an hour or so trying to duplicate that myself. It's hella-hard but it's doable.. Now, to practice the other six stages in the game... :lol:

I'm giving a go tonight. I didn't get a chance to record my old gameplay or play at all, the last time I managed to get 7 mil on the first stage (starting on stage 3, level 3), but died a stupid death in focused mode, and killed all momentum I had. I didn't play since.

I dunno what the hell is wrong with me. When I am playing on a crappy tube tv with the colors starting to separate, I nail my 40 mil run. At home, I can't get a good run for the life of me. Maybe the screen is too big... I should try playing on a CRT and see what happens.

I picked this game up a while back, great game. I love shooters and I was was suprised to see this get a commercial release instead of XBLA. I wish more shooters were released on disk, if only for collectibility.

Agreed. There are several titles that you can buy, imported from Japan that are region free, all from Cave.

Mushihimesama Futari 1.5, Espgaluda 2, and Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets are all outstanding shmups, harder than Deathsmiles (Mushi is the hardest one out of the bunch), and I fully recommend getting them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s098UgWHcQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovsh-U8cXHs

JUST under your score... I messed up going into the special mode on 3-2, had I done it 5 seconds later, I would have had the gems from the giant building exploded, and would have taken your score.

Bought Deathsmiles today. Loving it but obviously I'm terrible at it. I must resist saying yes to continues and concentrate on the score as chapter 4 just makes me angry :)

I love the way that it gives you an achievement for pausing the game!

Bought Deathsmiles today. Loving it but obviously I'm terrible at it. I must resist saying yes to continues and concentrate on the score as chapter 4 just makes me angry :)

Join in with us! Hopefully the rest will put up a score...

Also add me on Xbox live so we can compare scores online.

Hoyoooo is my tag. :)

Nice, glad to see you're enjoying it. I may recommend just getting used to the game and level design first off though. Scoring well will be tough (and even more frustrating) if you don't. :)

JUST under your score... I messed up going into the special mode on 3-2, had I done it 5 seconds later, I would have had the gems from the giant building exploded, and would have taken your score.

Haha, close, close.. I still have to bust this out again and tread on. I've been busy with other games this last week and a half..

Just to clarify, are you guys playing through in arcade or 360 mode (and, for scorings sake, does it matter)? Also, I take it we're playing each stage at difficulty 3, yeah?

Yes, either arcade or 360 mode. They're the same game, just with graphical enhancements for the 360 mode.

You can play on any level. Keep in mind though, lower levels mean lower scoring. :)

What capture card are you using Austin? I can't help but notice how crisp and clear it is compared to my video... Just curious, because that's how I'd like my videos to look. :)

Hey, sorry, I actually just responded to your message on YouTube. In short, it's an ION video2pc card and I think it likes my 360. A lot. That, or the 360 puts out a much stronger video signal than my older consoles do. I can't explain it, but footage I take from older systems look bad, whereas the 360 stuff looks great for some reason. :?

Nothing like in the score contest here. Best I could manage was just shy of 5 mil. And I died about an inch from the extra life too.

Is it worth using continues? By which I mean, do later levels yield more score?

Nothing like in the score contest here. Best I could manage was just shy of 5 mil. And I died about an inch from the extra life too.

Is it worth using continues? By which I mean, do later levels yield more score?

Score wise, somewhat. The bosses are worth more, but a better score system in the first levels will yield you more points than continueing to the end to beat the final boss.

• 2 weeks later...