IGNORED

Nolan Bushnell Appointed to Atari Board

Was it a failure because it was still being demo'd and wasn't even for sale yet? Yet when it did go on sale it still sold 350,000 units in the end... nice failure

;-)

Curt

Actually someone else invented the time machine but it was a failure from the beginning. So Nolan just built a better one.

Fake Nolan - prove you're real, go grab a copy of todays SJ Mercury, or the LA Times hold it up and take a picture of yourself holding it and post it. We'll start from there.

"Dad, let me take a picture of you with today's paper."

"Why? What'd you do now? And what was that post on that facebook account you made me sign up for? I thought it was just so I could play Mafia Wars all day."

Honestly, if it was the real Nolan he would have contacted you directly in the first place as well to bitch about about things (and he still can). The real one would have had the balls to do that (and have your contact info).

Edited by wgungfu
  • Like 3

HI MR. DABNEY! :thumbsup: :D

Before anyone levels criticism at us for opening our arms to Ted Dabney but being critical of "Nolan Bushnell", please realize that Curt & Marty were directly involved with contacting Mr. Dabney and showing him the thread last night. This can be verified.

Actually I'm the one who contacted Ted about this thread.

This can be verified.

Yes, it was Len that showed Ted the thread originally.

I don't know if I'm doing this right but I want to get one thing clear, "NolanB" is real. He has a very selective memory but he is the real guy.

The "slip counter" as he calls it was a joint venture between us. I breadboarded it and controlled it with toggle switches but Nolan engineered it into the game so it could be controlled digitaly.

I'm sure it's very likely that the real Nolan now called you and is now getting involved. I highly, highly doubt those posts last night were by Nolan however, for the previous reasons mentioned. Either that, or I shutter to think a CEO and board member would be conducting themselves in the way the poster was, and stating some of the "hatchet material" they have been about others on here. All while in a very public media fishbowl right now due to the current Atari SA happenings.

Edited by wgungfu

Well that's what happens when a fake posts 48 times with no factual rebuttals other then to keep posting Curt lied, Curt is wrong, don't know where the hell Curt's mind is. So when you're called a flat out liar by someone about a fact on the table - they have completely ignored and haven't even made any comment

Curt

The slam against Ralph was classless, but the cheapest shot/comment I've seen in this thread?

This is just a sad thread making all those involved look worse and worse..

:sad:

desiv

Edited by Curt Vendel

Ted,

Are you saying that based on his posts, as the slip counter info could easily have been a passing comment picked and regurgitated.

Did you actually get a phone call from Nolan ( and not Brent using a deep voice pretending to be his dad) this AM?

If Nolan has joined in, maybe it was for the last hour or so, definitely not for the previous 50 posts for certain.

Curt

I don't know if I'm doing this right but I want to get one thing clear, "NolanB" is real. He has a very selective memory but he is the real guy.

The "slip counter" as he calls it was a joint venture between us. I breadboarded it and controlled it with toggle switches but Nolan engineered it into the game so it could be controlled digitaly.

hey I'm done so leave me out of this, I'm not living the past I'm embracing the future and present.

if it's hacker oh well. don't you think facebook would have found out and caught him.

Nobody stated a hacker. His son (who runs all the IT operations) was clearly stated as being the source. And yes, you're "done" until you pop up with another side commentary.

Edited by wgungfu
  • Like 2

I just wrote on my facebook wall and talked to Ted on the phone. I can assure you all that Ted wrote his entries and he can authenticate me.

OK, cool. Thanks! ;) Welcome to Atariage! Very Glad to have you here!, Nolan! :D

I just got off the phone with Ted

Well Ted, Did he. :?

?

OK THEN! Finally a ligitimate verification. Thank You Ted! I'd like to welcome you to Atariage also! Thanks for stopping by here. :) It's great to be able to talk with you here. :D I have read about you in Steve Kent's book.

This thread has given me a headache since about 1AM. :ponder:

There ain't no rage like nerd rage!

I don't have a horse in this race. I spent the latter half of my childhood with Nintendo games so a battle royale between Shigeru Miyamoto and Hiroshi Yamauchi would be much more exciting to me.

I have read about you in Steve Kent's book.

There was a whole article about him in Edge last year.

OK, I think your saying the article talks about Ted Dabney?

But:

I don't subscribe to the UK Edge mag. Can you clarify; (God I hate pronouns sometimes)- In saying "whole article about him" Are you talking about Ted Dabney or Steve Kent? Does the article praise or rip Kent's highly respected video game history book? Or does the article talk about Ted?

I'm still waiting for an explanation of this anachronism.

Well there was the Atari time machine prototype Nolan had invented. Sure it had bugs, but going forward in time a few years would have been no problem what-so-ever as long as a person were wearing their Mindlink.

Read about it in my Nolan book!!

Of course...how silly of me. I forgot that Mr. Bushnell invented the flux capacitor, "which is what makes time travel possible"!

Actually, I've heard that he only saw a version of the time machine in Ted's garage. Baer then took out a patent on the time machine, but only Philips Magnavox would produce it. That's the reason CDs arrived before terrible music like ABBA became obsolete.

Does the article praise or rip Kent's highly respected video game history book?

"Highly respected" by whom? Kent's heart is in the right place, but some of his sources are questionable and a lot of his claims are dubious.

I don't subscribe to the UK Edge mag. Can you clarify; (God I hate pronouns sometimes)- In saying "whole article about him" Are you talking about Ted Dabney or Steve Kent?

It's a full article about Ted. And Edge is available at Barnes and Noble, they sell a lot of UK mags on their magazine racks.

Does the article praise or rip Kent's highly respected video game history book? Or does the article talk about Ted?

Well read, certainly. Respected is another matter, there's just way to many errors in Steve's book. Stating things like Atari coin and consumer were physically connected buildings for instance, did not show excellent fact checking. Steve's book is entirely frustrating for this, because it's a great book for direct quotes and commentary by the subjects.

Oh I see. I was under the impression by all the praise the book received, from game industry people, that it was completely factual. I thought his book was the best video game history book to read?

What book is the best then and is most accurate? So I can get it?

Oh I see. I was under the impression by all the praise the book received, from game industry people, that it was completely factual. I thought his book was the best video game history book to read?

What book is the best then and is most accurate? So I can get it?

It's pretty well known that it has a fair share of errors, as are most published books thus far trying to be a comprehensive history. That's the nature of the beast. As for the best and most accurate, there really isn't one, and it's unlikely there will be for quite some time unless it's self published, as traditional publishers are very reluctant to touch videogame books these days (2005 was probably the last good chance to do so), outside of hint books/guides because they can't get shelf space for them anymore. I theorize it's the same reason why G4 was unable to maintain a full schedule of videogame programming--for whatever reason, videogame enthusiasts are not strong buyers of product outside of certain givens (games themselves, accessories, etc.). The all-time best seller in the category is Kent's book, and that was published in 2001. Sad, really.

Edited by Bill_Loguidice

It's pretty well known that it has a fair share of errors, as are most published books thus far trying to be a comprehensive history. That's the nature of the beast. As for the best and most accurate, there really isn't one, and it's unlikely there will be for quite some time unless it's self published, as traditional publishers are very reluctant to touch videogame books these days (2005 was probably the last good chance to do so), outside of hint books/guides because they can't get shelf space for them anymore. I theorize it's the same reason why G4 was unable to maintain a full schedule of videogame programming--for whatever reason, videogame enthusiasts are not strong buyers of product outside of certain givens (games themselves, accessories, etc.). The all-time best seller in the category is Kent's book, and that was published in 2001. Sad, really.

Ditto what Bill said.