IGNORED

For Order: Monkey Labs Production Atari Lamps

Just some good-natured ribbing and free thread-bumping. :) That Sears is a beauty and a shame I could not get it working. It did come with a SWEET Sears console/cart storage thing with the smoked plastic lid in pristine condition so at least I have that.

I would get a lamp, but I like it dark.

Rick has an Atari Table too? :o NICE!

Yep. The 4 legs and top are all Combat cartridges. The top has a piece of glass on it so you can see the cartridges but also set things on top without issues. It's pretty cool. From what I recall it's about 4-6 cartridges across (maybe 12" - 16" x 12" - 16" square) and stands about 12" - 16" tall.

:o HOLY CRAP.

Should I post in that? I want to answer that guy's comment of "Why is one part different" explaining how the curvature of the lamp is not conducive to straight lines and therefore causes the box scans to 'tilt', leaving a space smaller than a box scan on the back, but would it really solve anything?

My point being that I almost interpret that as criticism for criticism's sake (nothing against him for that, mind you) rather than a genuine question, and I don't think answering it will really serve a purpose.

If it was one of you guys that put this on a blog that got to Kotaku, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU times infinity. It is really, really cool to see my stuff getting exposure like that!!!! :thumbsup:

Blog comments usually come from ass people. ;)

EDIT: Original blog entry: http://hawtymcbloggy.com/2010/04/30/the-most-amazing-atari-lamp-youll-see-today/

I'm staying away from either of those sites. I already read 2 criticisms that were patently idiotic. :P "This is bullshit, why didn't you use the power switch"....maybe because the power switch can't handle the full voltage??? :? :? People who don't understand basic geometry or electricity.... :|

Anyway, I posted two nice, friendly, and reasonable explanations and I'm done with it. Let the children turn it into YouTube comments, which I'm sure will happen. I'm just happy to get the EXPOSURE! :thumbsup:

Here's what I just sent them:

"This is a custom one-of-a-kind piece of artwork I created for Albert, the administrator of AtariAge.com. With feedback from members of the AtariAge community and a lot of help, as I'm not exactly the world's best electrician or system modder, I cobbled together a custom lamp and lampshade made from Atari!

The base of the lamp is a dead Atari 2600 6-switch "Woody". I didn't want to use a live 2600 as even though these systems are abundant, they're not exactly being created en masse anymore, so I didn't want to cause the numbers of available systems to go down!

Drilling a hole through the top of the unit and bezeling a hole for a light switch, I wired up a lamp kit to the Atari itself. Albert provided me with top-quality Atari 2600 cartridges of his choosing and using AtariAge.com's wonderful database of Atari 2600 releases, I used the box scans to create a custom art lampshade with a cool 70's retro feel!

The carts get drilled through the center and placed around the lamp-post for a unique little stack of carts that looks like someone might be playing the system. Then the lamp is wired through the in-line switch to the bulb fixture, and voila! Custom Atari 2600 lamp!

There is still work to be done on it — I am working on a way to potentially wire the Atari itself through transformers to actually use the power switch itself, but without some serious power stepping it's impossible, as the power switch is only rated for 35V tops. I tried burning my house down 4 times learning that lesson! I am also working on a method to remove the fabric from the shade and place the scans on the flat surface, as the curvature of the shade causes the scans to 'tilt' and therefore the shade does not look uniform.

The total job took around a month or so of likely asking stupid questions of AtariAge.com members and now that I know what I'm doing a lot better it's about a 12 hour job to completely finish, starting with cleaning the console out completely and ending with a bright, fun video game room!

Here is a YouTube video of the lamp in action:

Albert was a very huge help in providing me with useful feedback and implementation of ideas so of course this lamp now resides at AtariAge.com headquarters. HAVE YOU PLAYED ATARI TODAY?"

:)

Seriously, I have to extend a hand of thanks to members like Shawn, ax, Al, shadow, phaxda, and others I am very sorry to be forgetting for providing me with the serious help I required to complete a project like this. I seriously am a monkey when it comes to doing things like this and it was really cool to see a number of people more than willing to listen to my idiotic ranting and raving about how I burned my house down or fried myself wiring something up wrong.

Front page of AtariAge! Cool! I cut the orders off at three lamps for the time being but after I get settled in from my big move coming up I may be interested in doing a second run of these. For those of you going to CGE and are interested I am considering have 2 available for sale there -- they won't be "custom" lamps but lamps of my choosing (they will be cool though!).

In the meantime I do have two pre-produced lampshades for sale in this thread: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/162014-fs-monkey-labs-atari-lampshades/page__p__1996570__hl__monkey%20labs%20lampshade__fromsearch__1?do=findComment&comment=1996570

I will continue to make lampshades. No I won't. Want a shade? Buy a lamp! :P

• 2 weeks later...

Blog comments usually come from ass people. ;)

EDIT: Original blog entry: http://hawtymcbloggy.com/2010/04/30/the-most-amazing-atari-lamp-youll-see-today/

I'm staying away from either of those sites. I already read 2 criticisms that were patently idiotic. :P "This is bullshit, why didn't you use the power switch"....maybe because the power switch can't handle the full voltage??? :? :? People who don't understand basic geometry or electricity.... :|

Anyway, I posted two nice, friendly, and reasonable explanations and I'm done with it. Let the children turn it into YouTube comments, which I'm sure will happen. I'm just happy to get the EXPOSURE! :thumbsup:

Honestly, "why didn't you use the power switch" was the first thing I thought. Yes, it can be done, and no, you don't pass all the current and voltage through the switch. Power relays can allow you to pass a small voltage through the switch while controlling a large voltage and current. Relays need a smaller control voltage but you can derive that from the 110v AC in a variety of ways. So, maybe some of these people do understand electronics :)

Well if you know how to do it and want to school an idiot on it I would be more than happy to listen! I would love to do it and it honestly was the first thing I tried but I am a total moron when it comes to electronics -- I know with power stepping it is possible (and in no way do I think the comments I was talking about were actually stating that), but it is certainly beyond my understanding at the moment. :)

I mean literally you would have to show me in amazing detail what I would need to use and how to solder it up. I am terrible at soldering, which doesn't help, but I am slightly familiar with breadboards and could probably wire it up and get it working but I would really need someone to talk me through every step of the way.